When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lest you think the bottom has fallen out of the vintage Rolex market...........

freddy333

C368.jpg

SOLD @ $4,250.00

ROLEX 1958 OYSTER GMT-Master "First Model" Case Only. Worn by Pussy Galore in the James Bond movie "Goldfinger" -

Circa: 1958 ( III.1958 )

And how is he going to prove that? Or did I miss something?

Forgive my ignorance here, but why the heck would anybody pay that much for a mangled part,

when they could get a brand new original item for similar to the same cost? I just don't understand

the attraction there. Any insight from collectors or those in-the-know would be appreciated.

JSA

A couple of things here, Freddy. This a vintage piece, but it seems to me that the appeal is to the franken builders. Who would collect a case alone? I'm figuring this case will show up again as a recreated 6542. And possibily some collector may be duped into believing it 's 'all original'. That's unfortunate, IMO.

I do believe the top end vintage market will probably hold up better than the market in general thru this downturn. But there will be good buying oppurtunities for the people out there that are ready to take advantage of them.

Forgive my ignorance here, but why the heck would anybody pay that much for a mangled part,

when they could get a brand new original item for similar to the same cost? I just don't understand

the attraction there. Any insight from collectors or those in-the-know would be appreciated.

The 6542 has been out of production for 40+ years, is highly collectible & quite valuable. Good examples of this watch frequently sell for between $50k-$100k, even in this market. Therefore, parts for these watches tend to go for top dollar as well. Recently, 2 6542 bezel inserts (in very good (but not mint) condition) went for about $2,000 & $2,500, respectively. The GMT hand, by itself, will easily bring between $700-$1,800. Even a roulette (red/black) date wheel can fetch as much as $1,600. In fact, the parts for some vintage Rolex models have become so valuable that some have been dismantling & selling perfectly good watches as parts.

Buyers for these are either collectors, who are looking to replace worn parts with better parts, or modders, who are building frankens or gens out of these spares

brevetfitting0331.jpg

(Work in progress)

Buncha smart-alecks. Okay I take back the wazzoo part.

:Jumpy:

Call me paranoid, but I detect a note of insincerity here. ;)

A couple of things here, Freddy. This a vintage piece, but it seems to me that the appeal is to the franken builders. Who would collect a case alone? I'm figuring this case will show up again as a recreated 6542. And possibily some collector may be duped into believing it 's 'all original'. That's unfortunate, IMO.

True, which is why, when it comes to this hobby, knowledge is power.

I do believe the top end vintage market will probably hold up better than the market in general thru this downturn. But there will be good buying oppurtunities for the people out there that are ready to take advantage of them.

Very definitely.

My, how quickly the (vintage gen) world changes. After seeing a couple of nice 6542s fetch high dollar figures within just the past 2 weeks, this jewel failed to garner a single bid above the bar the seller set at $45k (auction closed with 0 bids)

RXGMT6542GILT-01.jpg

This, combined with Patrick Heiniger's abrupt resignation (for 'personal' reasons) & Rolex's recent climb onto the Big Watch bandwagon (2 years after the fad had begun to fade), has me scratching my head about the future direction of this, hitherto, iconic brand.