When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's on your "radar", and what you want replicated in 2009?

By-Tor

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small on a power lifter maybe, but not on a skinny, gaunt racoon eyed little trader fu*ker like me. :D

Seriously though, with a long sleeve the watch doesn't look small at all on me with 7.5" wrists. I'm also really getting into the subtlety of smaller watches. Almost everything I'm into lately is in the 35-38MM range. Less is more. I'm just getting into dress watches and "getting" the size thing on a different level. Shirts are a bigger factor than some think. You can wear a WAY smaller watch with long sleeves than short. Food for thought...

Another factor is that the DD's are pretty blingy even with no ice. It's the metals. The things just shine more than anything in my box. So I find that the reduced size helps counteract the bling in a really cool way. The watch pops because of the shine but not so much it is obnoxious which is great. Two final observations on that:

First, to the last point my MMD is right on the borderline. It almost pops too much and I have tried on the 40MM version and it does counteract it in the same way.

Second, I would never want an all brushed DJ, because without the "pop" from the contrast of the polished and brushed surfaces, the watch does look smaller even with the same case - much smaller. I should also point out that the DD case is smaller than the new DJ cases. Still 36MM but the lugs are wider on the new DJ's giving it a bigger more square shouldered appearance.

Oh and the DDII is just horrible - don't bother. It would solve your size issue but the watch is just a complete failure for them and the sales are proving it. Two good AD's I know that do huge biz say they can't sell them to save their lives. It is a huge copout for them. All they did is blow up the case without changing the proportions of anything. The dial is the same size! The indices, hands, everything - just longer hands! Even the bracelet is the same as from the 36MM watch. They didn't even up the lug size. Can you imagine? The whole watch is just totally unbalanced and top heavy just like another certain watch that I know you can't stand from them they just put out. Why they would make significantly bigger watches and not refine proportions is beyond me.

Meanwhile, I think the new ceramics are home runs. It changed everything in terms of making their sports line feel less flimsy. Nice solid bracelets and clasps. It was always a quandry for me. I always loved the comfort of the hollow link brushed bracelets on some of my favorite watches, but they always felt cheap to me. The only reason I sold the ceramic GMT is because of the look of the numbers on the bezel. I'm holding out for the black Sub and looking forward to it. But I digress (again)...

Back to the DJ. Check out this pic I always refer to. To me, having a 7.5" wrist the watch doesn't look small on me at all and note how subtle the square shoulders add to the perceived size...

DJmini1.jpg

I agree, it's a great looking watch. But I simply can't wear a watch that small.

I understand that the gen full gold version is much heavier and feels more substantial, but man... it's a small watch. I might check the DD2 eventually.

Just a return to an accurate Speedy Moon would be all I ask. Something like what 'dluddy' has, just 'out of the box', with the factory attention the UPO got. Is all.

Maybe just a blanket wish; being able to source correct replicas of extremely popular models without all the hoops; pre-orders, waits, mods on WM9 Subs, through the BK garage, more waits and hoops, a crown upgrade and finally a decent latteday Sub on the wrist, a decent DW grade 6263 without all the cloak and dagger......................I realize it's all 'part of the game' but as long as we're 'wishing'..........................

Edited by Demsey

FM Conquistador King preferably an iced out version. I would also like an iced out Breitling Chronomat Evo with ful diamond case and bracelet.

I don't need a full iced out evo, but I wouldn't mind Ubi7's one being repped, with the roman numerals and bling bezel. So many more combo's that need doing on the evo's.

@Robbie: Yeah, the DD looks great on you. 7'5 is definitely not a small wrist and it still looks good. The polished Oyster band is much nicer choice for this watch anyway.

I'm a Oyster man as well... I don't care for the Jubil

Oka ...

nice choices guys ... the vintage FF is here so lets see also the modern if u please ....

Second a decent dress watch JLC reverso would be good one to do and a seller for sure grande taille as mentioned above is an easy rep to reproduce imho also size vise a better way to go as the classic might just be to small in many peoples minds including mine.

I am urging for more classy/dress replications due to the fact im running on limited budget there fore cant really shell out that amount on a classic/dress gen. which i will wear 3 to 5 times a month!

ou yea and the mark XVI i have a feeling we asking for that one for ages now ;)

Laz

+1 on the IWC Mark XVI and the 42mm UPO. I would buy both of those in a heartbeat.

Also, give me a Rolex Explorer II, GMT Master, or a Seamaster GMT with a 2893 in it, and I would be a happy guy. I could go to DeBaufre, but I'd prefer one of the reps. I've had no luck with modified 2836's ... :(

May have to start a franken project ... :)

Edited by tomhorn

Agreed, although it grows on you. Isn't it funny how something as subtle as that is perceived so differently on a bunch of watches all the same size. That is what makes this hobby so interesting. It is all in the details.

And I know for sure that even with the wider shoulders (watch I mean) and the Oyster, any DJ would probably be a bit too small on you. Smaller dressier watches would look good on you though - you would just have to get used to them (and want to). But for you the line might be at 38MM on those istead of 35-36MM as it is for me.

Many people talk too much about wrist size IMO. Physical stature is FAR more important for perception of how one carries a watch don't you think?

@Robbie: Yeah, the DD looks great on you. 7'5 is definitely not a small wrist and it still looks good. The polished Oyster band is much nicer choice for this watch anyway.

I'm a Oyster man as well... I don't care for the Jubil

Yup - one of my cars is a Mini - and proud of it. I have had more fun in this car that any sports car I have ever had at any price.

The litter bugger is fast too. A few upgrades and you can get 60 in just under 6. Very little turbo lag too and a great transmission. Very refined cars now. I'm even used to the torque steer.

I use it as a runabout and in almost 2 years I have only 6K miles on it. You guys must know I never leave this chair.

I had fun customizing it and I admit it is a bit pimped out, but I get more compliments at gas stations, eyt. on this one than I do the other. I'm kind of MINI so I thought I needed a MINI...

Robbie G drives a MINI????????

Nothing wrong with Minis. I had a swag of the origenal ones as well as a Moke or two. No torqu steer from the "real" mini. Equal lengh drive shafts.

My first (and possibly only the way things are headed) "big" buy this year will be this.

ebel_discovery.jpg

Top of the "please rep it" wish list is this.

SeaMaster1.jpg

SeaMaster2.jpg

Just simply stuning.

Col.

• 3 weeks later...
This is the one watch I would want to see repped. GP Sea Hawk II. Good size 42mm. Looks good on rubber, leather and to me, one of the best bracelets! The grey dial looks fantatstic! Don't think its too difficult!

GPSeaHawkII.jpg

That would be a great one to rep.

Every year the same, maybe someones listening this year.

mn302zx1om1.jpg