When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new Val. 72 Daytona

Martyd3

Details...DETAILS??? Which case...which dial? Problems that had to be overcome? It looks great. I like the small print of the ROLEX Cosmograph and the subdial fonts...excellent!!

Ok, details ... it is DW Val. 72 case with no serial number. The dial is also from DW. I am not sure about the origin of the rep bracelet. It has 571 ends and after reworking it, I think it turned out very nice. The crystal and crown are gen, the tube is from Clark and the pushers from Ofrei. I was also very happy with the small print of the "ROLEX cosmograph" and the placement of the crown on the dial. It is not perfect, but I think it is better than the average dial. The movement is a fully serviced Val. 72 out of a Longines chronograph. Rob put it all together for me. He knows better than me, but there were two main problems. The first being to find a set of hands that fit (or could be made to fit). The hour and minute hands were fine, but we went through three sets of chronograph hands to find a set that worked. The other problem (and I think this is common) was that the bezel had to be shaved slightly to fit over the gen crystal.

It came together perfectly and I am very happy with the end result. Thanks again Rob!

Wow!

That is a spectacular watch!

Great pic to boot!

Wear it well Marty!

Ziggy's the Man!!!

Beautiful piece. I wish there was a better option for cases and dials than the expensive DW ones. Great looking piece.

Ditto the above.

Marty - the reworked rep bracelet looks ok. But, at this level of refinement, only a gen will do. Invest in a 7835/357 folded link, which will give your watch an order of magnitude more legitimacy. Ask any franken-man who owns 1. ;)

frankenwatches1.jpg

Each one of these pieces is an exercise in resource management and logistics ;) Congratulations on a job well done :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I am not sure if I would build it again. The amount of money you can spend is staggering ... and I still need a bracelet. Although the end result is stunning :)

I absolutely love the coronet and positioning. Very slender, not bulky. Very nice time piece. BTW Did the movt. require servicing?

JC