When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Battery change

offshore

Don't know whether this should be here, or in humour!

Last week at my market stall, a guy produced a copy DD. Not bad, just your average Canal St clunker.

"It's not working"

"Hmm, looks like a quartz, may be a flat battery. Actually I didn't bring my Rx caseback tool today, so I will need to take it home"

"How much for a battery"

"$7.00 fitted"

"OK" ( Repair docket given)

Today, as I work thru last weeks "too hard for market" repairs, I come across the envelope with this DD.

Out with Rx caseback tool. Doesn't fit, not even close. Check all dies.. No way.

Closely inspect, in case it is a snap back with faux dimples, but doesn't look like a snap back!

(There are a hell of a lot of Chinese quartz, that look like screw backs, but are actually snap backs)

Hmmm, Sticky ball! No way will it move!

OK Duct tape....Same result.

I must have by now spent an hour f***kin around with this thing.

But not to be beaten, I stick it under the microscope (80X) to make sure it is not a snap back.

I do detect a minute gap in one area, mark it with a marker, and sit back under loupe (highest mag)

Taking my sharpest and pointiest case knife, I proceed to insert in the gap area.

Slip--- slash....large deep cut, blood everywhere.

Off to the kitchen for band aid etc!

Undaunted, I return clean up bloody mess, and start again. Not going to let this mongrel beat me!

In fact the slip has revealed a small gap, so reinsert case knife, and Voila... It is a bloody snap back, just with no entry point!

And the case back pops off, clean as you like.

Quick inspect of movement, never see one of these before, Let's test battery.

Flat as a maggot!

Insert new battery, still no response.

Out with circuit tester.

Test for quartz crystal. Negative.

Test for coil. Negative.

Well, this thing really needs a transplant.

Can't find any cross reference of this movement anywhere, so check dimensions, and a 2115 will go in nicely. Date wheel will line up (fonts will be off a bit, but I'm really beyond caring!)

And I have a bulk supply of these, purchased quite cheaply.

So I ring the client, and give him the bad news, but offer to do a heart transplant for $25.(maybe I can recoup some of my time!!)

"$25, your kidding aren't you? I picked that up in KL for $5 bucks, and I'm back there next week. I actually thought your quote for $7 for a new battery was a bit steep. Just throw it in the bin. Thanks" Click.

Am sitting here now rolling around in laughter...If you don't laugh, you have to cry.

It's +2hours since I picked this bloody thing up, what a waste of time!

Oh the trials and tribulations of a watch repairer!

Hope some find this just a little amusing....!

Offshore

Ok I'll admit it I laugh when someone trips over, heck I laugh when they fall off ladders so yeah I laughed at the slip/slash too. :D

Got to wonder why this guy even bothered to bring a 5 buck knock off to the repair man in the first place. :rolleyes:

Ken

OK, so everyone wants a shot of "that mongrel watch".

As I have never posted a "wristy" thought I would use the opportunity to kill a few birds!

Here, for your viewing pleasure, is "tmw". Also my daily beater, gen Mido Oceanstar, the RWG ring, and note at bottom the bandaid! You don't wanna see the cut!

post-13-1235187680_thumb.jpg

JTB knows the Mido, think he still has one the same in his armoury, courtesy of an ill conceived wager about cricket, some years back!

An interesting note about the Mido, is that is promoted as the worlds most waterproof watch.

Only has 2 points of entry for moisture, as it has no caseback. So crown or crystal, and the crown is a specially designed seal system which uses cork gaskets as well as O rings. Also note the concealed crown, makes for a much more balanced watch IMHO.

Offshore