When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

As a nooby, buying a replica is no simple matter.

dennis3506

I only joined up today, but have spent the last few hours doing quite a bit of research. Conclusion so far, it's not an easy matter buying a replica watch. It's not like ebay where I can just enter a particular watch model and then just either bid or buy now. It's not that I don't know exactly what I'm after (an Omega UPO) so you'd think, how difficult can it be? Well, first up, try and find a seller that has them and has the price listed and then try and find someone that's already bought to get some feedback. It might be just easier to jump on a plane to Shanghai and buy one off the street.

Edited by dennis3506

I found that I tended to like certain styles of watches, so I gravitated to brands that suited my style. I am still a Rolex (Sub, DSSD and DD/DJ fan). I like dress watches, smaller diameter watches, and don't like too many things on the dial. (ie chronos). I don't like heavy bezels or very chunky watches.

I think Pams are an acquired taste. I didn't like them at first, but now, I am pining for a 111H

I think everybody eventually ends up getting a Sub/ DSSD, a Pam and/or a PO some time in their watch collection.

Edited by If you see Kay

I found that I tended to like certain styles of watches, so I gravitated to brands that suited my style. I am still a Rolex (Sub, DSSD and DD/DJ fan). I like dress watches, smaller diameter watches, and don't like too many things on the dial. (ie chronos). I don't like heavy bezels or very chunky watches.

I think Pams are an acquired taste. I didn't like them at first, but now, I am pining for a 111H

I think everybody eventually ends up getting a Sub/ DSSD, a Pam and/or a PO some time in their watch collection.

I said that I know exactly want I want, an Omega PO. You'd think nothing simpler. Wrong.

As a nooby, buying a replica is no simple matter.

It is great to see that you have come to grips with this, so early in your quest!

Unfortunately, this is not ebay, nor Amazon, nor CQ out, or any of those other "easy" purchasing options!

(And certainly we offer plentiful advice with regard to those "Swiss...AAA" on line rep sellers!!!!)

The great thing is that, a resource for all to use and research, has been set up here.

And if used wisely, will give you a most positive result.

However, if you need to rush in and snap up the 1st deal available, your buying experience may well be not exactly as planned.

The options are easy....stay, research, and do the yards....or jump in to the great unknown.

Trust it happens as you want it to!

(My siggy tells the way it is!)

Offshore

I entirely agree with the OP - as a n00b myself I thought that getting a "cheap copy" would be pretty easy, but it is entirely the opposite.

All I wanted was a replica Bell and Ross BR03 but now I'm finding myself tempted by Omegas and Panerais and IWCs and Rolexes...

But there are so many questions!!

Which movement? An ETA? A 7750? An Asian or a Swiss version?

Is the movement reliable? How long before it might break? Is it fixable?

Which dealer should I buy from? People use first names to refer to them but what are their forum or website names? and what sites do they sell from?

Will it get seized by customs if I order from outside the EU, where I am based?

How much is it?

Is it a good price for the specification?

Is the specification good enough to look genuine to all but avid watch collectors/fans?

Will it need a service straight away?

Will my local watch shops touch it if I take it in?

Will it need to be sent away for modification to make it truer to the original / look nicer? (Anti-Reflective'd? / re-lumed?)

Would I be able to do anything to it myself or would that just be asking for trouble?

What on earth do all the acronyms used on the forum mean??

I'm sure some of these questions are answered in the n00b guide that I still have to sit down and read properly :unsure: but it really isn't easy... :(

Edited by Member X

I entirely agree with the OP - as a n00b myself I thought that getting a "cheap copy" would be pretty easy, but it is entirely the opposite.

All I wanted was a replica Bell and Ross BR03 but now I'm finding myself tempted by Omegas and Panerais and IWCs and Rolexes...

Which movement? An ETA? A 7750? An Asian or a Swiss version?....................I don't really care. But Asians are a damned sight cheaper!

Is the movement reliable? How long before it might break? Is it fixable?............Most work OK with the odd crap one....so what's new?

Which dealer should I buy from? People use first names to refer to them but what are their forum or website names? and what sites do they sell from?.....any of the regular Dealers listed here are not too bad. That's why they're listed.

Will it get seized by customs if I order from outside the EU, where I am based?......Never happened to me here in UK

How much is it? ...........I rarely spend much on any rep

Is it a good price for the specification?........to my mind specification is a rare word in reps

Is the specification good enough to look genuine to all but avid watch collectors/fans?..........Pretty much always

Will it need a service straight away?............Service?

Will my local watch shops touch it if I take it in?.........Authorised Dealers - NO.......independent watchmakers - no problem usually - it's business.

Will it need to be sent away for modification to make it truer to the original / look nicer? (Anti-Reflective'd? / re-lumed?).......Never done it

Would I be able to do anything to it myself or would that just be asking for trouble?........Why not? if your handy, then have a go -

What on earth do all the acronyms used on the forum mean??...............Gawd knows!

I sort of filled in the answers on the "questionaire" above... :p

But seriously......

I think you're in danger of over-complicating things before you start.

Read the Noob advisory - relax - pick a Dealer and check his stuff - don't go mad on price or Swiss ETA, Quality, Specification as these are relative here in the rep world. Pick a watch model you like - Ask if anyone has advice on that particular model on a new thread - read the replies - check availability via the listed Dealers - decide on the cash you want to spend (maybe get an Asian not so fantastic a likeness one just to get the feel of what you get for your money) - order the thing - wait a few days before even looking for tracking data - once you do check - don't read the crap about awaiting Customs or delayed by Customs or other crap - then out of the blue your little parcel arrives and hey presto - you've got a rep watch - hopefully working. Check it out - see if it was worth the paltry sum you spent - maybe not quite the quality you wanted? - then you've learned something. Or maybe it's brilliant ...........Welcome to the world of Reps.

You can see I don't take the rep business too seriously - I'm not one who must have the 1 to 1 replication of a particular brand. Don't get me wrong, some guys here take it VERY seriously - but I honestly think that comes maybe with experience and NOT on your first rep purchase.

Chill out, relax, take it easy and start small...........above all have fun and don't break the bank and you'll enjoy it.

Edited by Bossart

I for one am very happy that it is a somewhat difficult/dauting task at first and also risky. I don't want every one wearing the great quality reps that I have.

The first watch you order is a big financial risk, it is the only time in my life I sent off $300 of my own money to China for counterfeit goods.

I figured I had a 50/50 chance of getting anything.

Well it turns out I did get something and in fact the quality blew me away.

Most people on this forum bought their first watch before finding any of these forums.

I stumbled upon Josh's website months before I saw this or any other forum, I posted first on a forum when I was looking to buy my 2nd watch months later.

If you are a Noob and have found the forum and are in research stage for your 1st watch, you really have to decide if you are willing to dive in.

You can ask questions until you are blue in the face, you really won;t understand the answers until you have actually made your first purchase.

Look at some pictures, read some posts and then choose a recommended dealer and order your first watch,

Wait until after you have that before you start getting into technical discussions or this or that movement, shoudl I pay more to mod the watch, etc...

I think you will be blown away by the quality and the replication and you will be back for more!

Cheers,

M

what is so hard about buying one? it is easier than google-ing 'an omega replica'. they will take you to a scam site and almost never to the dealers' site mentioned here (in fact they might not like it if they are high up the google search) :).

Im a noob myself and I think this is very easy. EVERYTHING is here, most watches has been discussed in detail..assuming you want to read of course.

It seems to me you just want it easy. Even if you are buying a gen, you still have to do your homework about the watches, the prices,warranty and the dealer etc. I don't see anything different.

search the watches you want and read the reviews. seriously, everything is here if you want to do your work. Also, I find reading all those posts interesting, because I am just into watches and they do not bore me.

Read about the dealer review,open your email and send an email to every recommended seller about that watch you want. ( I just emailed a couple)

get the watch from the dealer you are most comfortable dealing with. Now the hardest bit is the wait.

good luck finding your watch, this is a great place. :)

Edited by arrowax

Edited to correct myself... in rereading the posts... I love this place lol you guys really know how to be objective instead of beating around the bush with nonsense :-)

Edited by spider87

I see good things in Bossart's future! Thanks for taking the time to reply to that short list of questions - you saved me the trouble of typing it out!

Seriously though, just take it slow, do your homework, and you'll eliminate 99% of the potential pitfalls when dealing with reps.

A lot of your questions are not answered simply. Most of these are subject to debate, long hours of discussion, or just plain ol personal preference.

Which movement? An ETA? A 7750? An Asian or a Swiss version? - Once you pick the style and model of watch, you can decide on asian or swiss. Some people feel that even getting a "swiss movement" is over rated, as there is no guarantee that's what you'll get. As most of us never crack open the caseback, or even if we did we wouldn't know what the hell we're looking at, no way to be sure. The biggest "ah-HA" moment for me, was when i finally figured out that 7750 movements were referring to watches that had chronograph complications. Took me a bit when i first started to understand what this meant, and why swiss 7750s were so damned expensive.

Is the movement reliable? How long before it might break? Is it fixable? - The thing to realize here, is that with any mechanical watches, regardless of asain, or swiss movement, will need servicing. The movements need to be lubricated, and cleaned at regular intervals. Some people on here buy a watch, and send it off for immediate servicing. New watches have been know to be dirty, un-lubricated or even damaged. This isn't to say that all new watches are this way. I for one have only serviced one watch, and that was after it failed to function completely - damaged gear. The movements are as reliable as a mechanical movement can be, with little to no quality control, and questionable build control. Don't let this scare you off. A great majority of our watches arrive perfectly safe, functioning normally, and work perfectly for years until they need service. Remember, like any customer experience, we tend only to hear about the bad and horrific experiences.

Which dealer should I buy from? People use first names to refer to them but what are their forum or website names? and what sites do they sell from? This is very true, and frustrating at first. When I first joined, I had no idea who this Josh person was. On the dealers page in the links section, there are the site names, with the individuals who operate the sites. That is a great place to start. Some of them list their prices on the website, while others require contact to discuss pricing. While it's tempting when you find your watch on a dealer's site to just hop in and buy it, slow down and compare a bit. There may not be a lot of difference in the price, but it's worth a shot.

Will it get seized by customs if I order from outside the EU, where I am based? - Most of the dealers here will work with you in the case of customs problems. I'm in the US, so I can't speak for the EU customs issues. I believe there are also some dealers that are in EU, and that may help reduce the risk of any issues.

How much is it? - How much do you wanna spend? :)

Is it a good price for the specification? - That's a subject for debate on almost any watch. Some people have a limit on what they are willing to spend on a rep, regardless of the complications, or how beautiful it is. Others get caught up in whatever the latest must-have trend is. If you're ever wondering, just post on here. IF you're considering a watch and you want to know people's thoughts, believe me, they will tell you. Some people would advise you to stay away from certain reps, because they are a poor replication of the original. Others may be put off by the overall price, super-rep or not. You'll get a feel over time.

Is the specification good enough to look genuine to all but avid watch collectors/fans? - This is an interesting one. My personal belief, is that rep collectors are a lot more knowledgeable and critical than any gen collector. These are luxury items typically bought from a retail establishment by people who like the look, or just have money to spend on the latest trend. I've met very few gen watch owners that knew anything more than how to set the time on their watch. Because we are into the hobby of reps, we are far more crucial about the closeness to the genuine article than any joe schmoe off the street. At first you're going to be convinced that everyone is starring at your wrist, and you'll be called out any second. Eventually you'll come to realize that hardly anyone cares what you're wearing. Unless you walk around waving your arm around trying to get attention, no one will really care. Most of the flaws people talk about are something that would require intimate knowledge on the timepiece, AND a jewelers loop to see it.

Will it need a service straight away? - As i mentioned earlier, this totally depends on the watch. Most? no. Some? yes. How will you know? you won't. :)

Will my local watch shops touch it if I take it in? - That depends on the shop. Stay away from ADs - also known as authorized Dealers. These are the higher end shops that typically sell the genuine watches. Too much potential for trouble and uncomfortable situations, Stick with your small independent shops. Try going in personally, not calling. It's too easy for a shop to hear "replica" over the phone, and blow you off. Take it in, tell them what you're looking for, and you need.

Will it need to be sent away for modification to make it truer to the original / look nicer? (Anti-Reflective'd? / re-lumed?) - "need" is defined by you at this point. Do yu care about AR? If you get a PAM and the canon pin is wrong, does it matter to you? I think the question is more about how in depth you want to get into this hobby. You can just keep collecting watches and have them all be stock, and you may be happy as a clam. You may get a single watch, with the sole intent of making it the most super rep on the planet. It's really up to you in what you're looking for.

Would I be able to do anything to it myself or would that just be asking for trouble? - The blunt answer, you're asking for trouble :). The fact is that we all have to start somewhere when it comes to getting into watch upgrades or servicing. When it comes to tearing into watches and performing any tasks, most things require specialized tools. You can easily start with the small steps, like sizing your own bracelets, and changing straps. This saves you a little money, and the frustration of getting a new watch, and having to wait until you make it to the mall to get the bracelet resized. There are lots of tutorials on here for doing different tasks, but just remember your limitations. And remember, you can always ask!

What on earth do all the acronyms used on the forum mean?? - There are so many! I guess you would just need to ask what they mean when you see them. I don't think anyone has put together an acronym list yet HINT HINT, but it would sure be helpful. Heh, i just learned this week what WIS means...

Just take a deep breath and have patience. Remember, after all is said and done, this is supposed to be fun!

WR

Edited by wraithride

The thing is that, as you stated, buying a replica is no simple. It will never be. But, and these are the good news, we have an *unfair advantage*: we are members of the RWG and that membership allows us to learn, share opinions, make friends and, last but not the least, enjoy excellent deals.

Anyway, you are right: that buying a watch is never easy:

If you want a UPO, you must choose: a gen or a rep?

If you want a rep, you must choose: following this or that piece of advice?

If you want to follow that piece of advice, you must choose: buying from this dealer or from that one?

If you want to buy from that one, you must choose (once more! yes!): this UPO, or that one, or maybe that another?

And this always happens once and once more, since repetition *ad nauseam* is the only way to do things, in this world as in life, and choosing is the only way to be free, although freedom hurts a bit.

But, and here are the good news again, we have many chances to succeed because someone had a great idea and the will to help. And many others came later and followed that person. And, then, this forum happened to make the purchase of our rep watches not simple... but simpler.

relox

Well, what can I say - thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post in depth!

I agree that taking it slow is the way to go - I don't really feel ready yet to dive in and when I do I want it to be a good first time. (This sounds like some sort of relationship LOL)

WR has a very good point that I hadn't really thought of, about how most people with an expensive watch only buy them because they're nice to look at and aren't majorly into knowing all the details of them. This certainly gives me more confidence to just go for it and not worry that it's not a super-rep but just looks pretty good - after all, where I live I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing a Pam or even an Omega (but then again I haven't really been looking as my eyes have only really just begin to open...)

So thank you again, all - I shall resume reading threads and guides till my eyes drop out of my head! :p lol

I am however tempted by the sub-$100 Narikaa PO though so perhaps I might start with that... ;)

*edited for spelling*

Edited by Member X

I only joined up today, but have spent the last few hours doing quite a bit of research. Conclusion so far, it's not an easy matter buying a replica watch. It's not like ebay where I can just enter a particular watch model and then just either bid or buy now. It's not that I don't know exactly what I'm after (an Omega UPO) so you'd think, how difficult can it be? Well, first up, try and find a seller that has them and has the price listed and then try and find someone that's already bought to get some feedback. It might be just easier to jump on a plane to Shanghai and buy one off the street.

Thanks for all the input guys. Certainly a lot of helpful advice there. I think I'll bite the bullet and buy a cheapie to start with from one of the recommended sellers on this forum.

Which movement? An ETA? A 7750? An Asian or a Swiss version?

Is the movement reliable? How long before it might break? Is it fixable?

Which dealer should I buy from? People use first names to refer to them but what are their forum or website names? and what sites do they sell from?

Will it get seized by customs if I order from outside the EU, where I am based?

How much is it?

Is it a good price for the specification?

Is the specification good enough to look genuine to all but avid watch collectors/fans?

Will it need a service straight away?

Will my local watch shops touch it if I take it in?

Will it need to be sent away for modification to make it truer to the original / look nicer? (Anti-Reflective'd? / re-lumed?)

Would I be able to do anything to it myself or would that just be asking for trouble?

What on earth do all the acronyms used on the forum mean??

I'm sure some of these questions are answered in the n00b guide that I still have to sit down and read properly :unsure: but it really isn't easy... :(

I was feeling pertty good about this new hobby of mine, buy after reading this , Im outa here :bye2:;)

Thanks for all the input guys. Certainly a lot of helpful advice there. I think I'll bite the bullet and buy a cheapie to start with from one of the recommended sellers on this forum.

I'm a Noob-Gal from Laguna Beach, CA and ditto to what Dennis3506 said, only it is REALLY hard to find a suitable Ladies watch. I don't like the super-girlie Chopard Happy Sports or the ones with ice & bling, not super crazy about Rollies but tend to like the white-faced Panerai 40mm (good luck) and the bigger Omega Constellations, etc. It's been a wild-ride since I joined yesterday. I'm excited, bewildered, a little frustrated but still having the fun of my life. Can't wait to find my first good-quality rep. It's addicting!

Thanks, guys for all the info. Now....hopefully that annoying banner will go away!!

whooperdog

Welcome to the forum whooper and all other noobs in this post haha. I am still a noob myself but have been reading for the last few weeks so I am just now breaching 100 posts! haha Well guys have fun and all I can say is read up. I have a forced reading up period for personal reasons but will be buying in a few weeks here and I know at that point I'm going to feel very confident in my choice. The only advice I can give so far, after seeing it happen multiple times(mostly on RWI) is DO NOT OVERREACT and make sure you are patient. Too many noobs assume the dealer has control over customs or assume that the dealer is a bad guy or assume that their package should be at their door in 2-3 days. Be patient read some of the other threads about this kind of stuff and DO NOT file a paypal dispute unless it's an absolute last resort. Too many noobs turn to that right away before even talking to the dealers and that causes all kind of trouble.

Just my .02 thanks for listening haha.