When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thank you for your order!

offshore

Whilst this is watch related, it is more about life than watches. So OT it is.

Today received from a Phillipines supplier, some pushers, a bezel insert, and a crystal for a couple of Seikos I am doing up.

On opening the package, I discovered, in it's own seperate little baggy, a printed mini sermon and bible quotes.

Not being all that religious, (I'm probably closer to an agnostic), I was however most taken at the depth true believers will go to try to pass on the word!

Maybe as I now have spent quite some $$ with him, him sees me as someone worth "bringing to the flock"?

Do I expect a request for a donation to the cause in the future?

Would be interested in others views on this one.

This is posted with the intent of gaining others experiences in like happenings, it is NOT an invitation to start a religious debate or a flame war, so please respect the rules of the forum, and keep things civil.

Thanks

Offshore

Personal experience: These are perilous times in the world and people who have faith are drawing close to God for guidance & comfort, lucky them. Spreading the faith is part of believing and this is probably all its about. He has belief in something higher than man that helps him make it through the day. I doubt a request for a donation is on the radar. If in the event there is a request, there's no problem to politely ignore it. But if you feel the spirit moves over your agnostic soul, then go for it! -_-

This is posted with the intent of gaining others experiences in like happenings, it is NOT an invitation to start a religious debate or a flame war, so please respect the rules of the forum, and keep things civil.

Thanks

Offshore

Party pooper. :p

@Omni,

Persceptive my friend! I took the time to read the sermon and biblical quotes.

They were all around wealth retention, and creation. (Or could be read that way!)

So the price of bullion in Asia is on the escalation again?

Must have a look , ....time to buy, or missed the boat?

@phaedo :1:

Offshore

Personal experience: These are perilous times in the world and people who have faith are drawing close to God for guidance & comfort, lucky them

Very true...with the media pumping the fear gas into the general populace I think we'll see faith becoming a "key player" in the decisions of some very high ranking people... should be interesting..

Yes, something similar has happened to me too. I must confess that I tend to take offence (albeit mildly) at people who try to 'convert' me without an invitation to do so - I'm perfectly willing to discuss people's belief systems if I know them (actually I find it fascinating to do so at times), but am not terribly impressed at strangers who try to force-feed it to me.

By the way, I should probably confess here that I'm an ordained minister...

in the Beer Church :D

I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are plenty of religious zealots out there who, for some reason, feel that it's their mission in life to convert the unconverted but they're newsworthy because they're rare. That said, many Christians believe that it's a good thing to spread the word of the Lord and do it more for your benefit than for their own. If you're interested in hearing, great, if not, great. Of course, if he does end up asking you for a donation, just tell him to [censored] off.

I got a lollipop once..............what was the dealer trying to say about me?

Is your real name Lolita? :o:o

I doubt you would get expectations for a donation in the future. It's the usual deal like rep collecting and the GGG thread...if you feel you've found something you're excited about...you just want to share it with the whole universe...and mail order happens to be a convenient medium.

You have to understand the culture. Most Filipinos are devout Roman Catholics and as a devout Catholic that's your job spreading the faith. Like everything else in the world you can ignore whats being said or not. Btw not all religious people are out for money and you shouldn't feel obligated and I dont think you have to worry Ive never known the Catholic church to solicit for donations so I think you'll be ok.

Slam the door on them and you automatically get added to their Do Not Disturb list.

In all honesty the reason I posted what I did is because when I was growing up my mom and dad went to a Jehovah's witness church maybe three times and the pastor and his family came to visit every Sunday for about the next five years. Mom and dad usually let them in and heard them out but I also remember more than a few times we all hid in the basement and let on like no one was home.

Dad also let a couple of Morman's into the house and even read the book of Morman that they provided. My folks were pretty open minded in regards to religion, I suppose that is part of the reason I became an atheist.

At least he did not mail you a Jehovah's Witness! They are impossible to get rid of!

Nah - they're no problem. I just started invoicing them for wasting my time. Told 'em I was going to do it - explained to them that I worked at home (as I did at the time) and they were welcome to my time, but had to pay my standard client rate. Haven't seen 'em since... :p

I have to admit, that does sound a little strange... :huh:

Which passages were they?

If it was some general run of the mill passages which can just be of general guidance/comfort/make you feel a bit better etc, then fair enough, that's just being a good Christian and 'spreading the love', but even then, it's not the sort of thing I'd expect when purchasing something watch related...

As for donations... Charity can take many forms, and does not have to involve giving money to a church/institution... Charitable donations, aka zakat, is one of the five pillars of Islam, but I don't give money to any particular institution, and the idea with such donations is really that the money be used in the community, to be given to those who need it the most. Following Ramadan last year, I gave

"The God I believe in isn't short on pocket change..............."

Bono Vox

When Bono said that I stood up with a stout 'YEAH!". And I dare anyone to find a more charitable soul on this Earth than Paul Hewson.

As a Deist I have accepted Jesus as my prophet although not as saviour, and yet will not donate a single penny to any established, recognised, or otherwise amalgamated religious entity that holds his word as 'sacred'.

I do, however, donate 5K a year equally bewteen the Michael J. Fox Foundation and the American Cancer Society as those two debilitating diseases have struck home in my family. I would imagine though, that when relief, medicine and research is doled out to good use and comfort, many of the stricken will thank "God". From my pocket, to them, through their own beliefs then? They are more than welcome for and to my part.

So yeah, once beyond the concept of divine intervention and the premise that you can indeed petition the Lord with prayer, I'm not above telling a pastor, or his messenger to go to Hell. Many of them deserve worse. I just don't have the time or insight to separate the wheat from the chaff nor the sheep from the wolves in sheep's clothing.

Me to them; "Have a nice day!" :)

"The God I believe in isn't short on pocket change..............."

Bono Vox

When Bono said that I stood up with a stout 'YEAH!". And I dare anyone to find a more charitable soul on this Earth than Paul Hewson.

As a Deist I have accepted Jesus as my prophet although not as saviour, and yet will not donate a single penny to any established, recognised, or otherwise amalgamated religious entity that holds his word as 'sacred'.

I do, however, donate 5K a year equally bewteen the Michael J. Fox Foundation and the American Cancer Society as those two debilitating diseases have struck home in my family. I would imagine though, that when relief, medicine and research is doled out to good use and comfort, many of the stricken will thank "God". From my pocket, to them, through their own beliefs then? They are more than welcome for and to my part.

So yeah, once beyond the concept of divine intervention and the premise that you can indeed petition the Lord with prayer, I'm not above telling a pastor, or his messenger to go to Hell. Many of them deserve worse. I just don't have the time or insight to separate the wheat from the chaff nor the sheep from the wolves in sheep's clothing.

Me to them; "Have a nice day!" :)

I remember reading about a minister in the US being found dead whilst hog-tied wearing two wetsuits, rubber pants, with a dildo shoved up his ass, following an autoerotic asphyxiation went wrong :lol: I bet whoever greets him in the afterlife and checks the 'cause of death' info will just shake their head slowly :lol:

His church issues a statement asking people not to speculate as to his demise

:rofl:

Very worthwhile causes, by the way :good:

Yes, something similar has happened to me too. I must confess that I tend to take offence (albeit mildly) at people who try to 'convert' me without an invitation to do so - I'm perfectly willing to discuss people's belief systems if I know them (actually I find it fascinating to do so at times), but am not terribly impressed at strangers who try to force-feed it to me.

I got something similar from a US seller on eBay and i reacted the same way. It [censored] me off a wee bit, that people feel they have the right to convince me I'm not doing the right thing in my life. But then again how else could the "wonderful control system" we call organized religion exist.