When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex GMT 1675

Guest vantica

Guest vantica

Just asking my fellow members here if I should go for a Vintage Rolex GMT 1675. I never had given this watch a look until earlier this week, when I saw; first one of my clients wearing it and then I saw it on TZ being sold (Is that a sign?)....... I have been saving for a while for a nice watch and am half way there. Soo Is it worth it?

Pics from the seller:

orig.jpg

origkoi.jpg

origoh89h.jpg

origoijo.jpg

Vantica,

let's wait for the experts to chime in.

It could be my noobness on vintage GMT's but when i look at the hand stack the GMT hand is on the bottum of the stack.

I don't know if this is the right place on a vintage.

Nice looking watch btw.

Carpe Diem

Cats

It could be my noobness on vintage GMT's but when i look at the hand stack the GMT hand is on the bottum of the stack.

I don't know if this is the right place on a vintage.

Cats, this is correct handstack on vintage GMT's ... Nice looking gen 1675, later version maybe mid 1970's. Case looks like its been well polished but a good example. Does it have service history or papers...?

Cheers

P.

Beautiful piece, and besides it's one of the most useful watches out there. I teach compass skills and navigation to Boy Scouts with mine. My personal feeling is, this is a model whose prices haven't taken a jump yet, like the 1680 and 551* Subs have.

Guest vantica

Will do, Though I will need to save for another few months to pull the trigger. Though is there any way to make a franken similar or close to that?

Building a franken is tough because the gen dial won't fit in the rep case- the dial is too small or the case is too big- take your pick.

Rep dials are wrong- they say "Oyster Perpetual Date".

The example you show looks very nice, maybe it's time to consider a gen!

My personal feeling is, this is a model whose prices haven't taken a jump yet, like the 1680 and 551* Subs have.

Afraid I'm going to have to disagree win you there my Alaskan chum, only in that it gives this inexperienced vintage buyer a false impression. 1675 prices started to climb rapidly about 12-18 months ago following the trend of similar era Subs as you say. However they have since peaked and the market seems to have self-corrected back to reasonable price levels.

Oh and take off another 50% for that hideous Jubilee :p

(to the OP I'm just kidding - my dislike of that bracelet is on record, good luck with your purchase)

i'll chime in as well -- that GMT looks like a beauty (personally i love the pure white markers & hands). i'm with doc re: the jubilee, but for some people (mostly crazy alaskans) it's the only way to go.

regardless, good luck with the purchase -- you won't regret it. with its slim case, the 1675 is one of the most comfortable watches i've ever worn ;)

deltatahoe

Ok I have no idea - just asking questions because I might start looking for one...

If this watch is from the mid '70's, it would not have SL, so is this a tritium dial? It does say t<25 on it. Is it a redial - if no, how come the markers are so white?

it's definitely a tritium dial; depending on the way the watch was cared for (primarily exposure to sun, water & oxygen), tritium ages differently ;)

it could be also be a NOS dial, which generally have lighter colored markers. the good news on this watch is that everything matches (dial & hands). an important question to ask would be whether the hands glow or not -- if they barely glow, they are likely NOS tritium and not original to the watch. if they really glow, they are superluminova (and inacurrate of course for this watch).

i hope this helps (both the OP and smc) :victory:

deltatahoe

Coming back to this, after having another look at the pics, I'd ask the seller what serial this is (range will do).

I have an inkling, a hunch even, that the worn somewhat gaunt case may be older than the dial and hands suggest. Don't get me wrong, as DT says minty fresh white tritium is not uncommon (and very beautiful, my personal favourite look for the 1675), but there's just something that sets off my spidey senses on this one...

The GMT case has undergone quite a yo-yo diet throughout its lifespan, even within models such as the 1675 (late '50s - very early '80s), and the one you have your eye on here with its chunky squared-off CGs, even accounting for the well-worn, over-polished appearance, looks to be a little older (early/mid 70s, maybe even earlier) than the NOS-quality dial/hand appearance. That's why I say check the serial, because something here just screams at me "service dial and hands swapout sometime late-70s/early-80s". Not a major problem of course but from a collectors' point of view, original is always better.

Coming back to this, after having another look at the pics, I'd ask the seller what serial this is (range will do).

I have an inkling, a hunch even, that the worn somewhat gaunt case may be older than the dial and hands suggest. Don't get me wrong, as DT says minty fresh white tritium is not uncommon (and very beautiful, my personal favourite look for the 1675), but there's just something that sets off my spidey senses on this one...

The GMT case has undergone quite a yo-yo diet throughout its lifespan, even within models such as the 1675 (late '50s - very early '80s), and the one you have your eye on here with its chunky squared-off CGs, even accounting for the well-worn, over-polished appearance, looks to be a little older (early/mid 70s, maybe even earlier) than the NOS-quality dial/hand appearance. That's why I say check the serial, because something here just screams at me "service dial and hands swapout sometime late-70s/early-80s". Not a major problem of course but from a collectors' point of view, original is always better.

good advice from the doc -- it's hard not to be skeptical of such pure white dial and hands with that case :g:

deltatahoe

Dial and hands look like OEM tritium replacements. There were some still available at the Rolex Service Center in Dallas a few years ago; NYC and BH supposedly have no more available.

The case has been polished many many times it appears. That's ok I guess for an older watch, but lots of polishing suggests that this might be a put-together? Find out the date code serial. Also find out the date code on the caseback. They should be close in age relative to one another (a couple of years difference is ok).

Bracelet doesn't look original to the watch at all. The case being polished many times and a solid Jubilee?

All in all, the replacement dial & hands kill the value of the watch for me--despite the fact that they are tritium. It needs a little patina to make it special. The bracelet not being original to the watch further devalues it. Looks like you can get a good deal if you mention these little facts to the seller.

1675 is a great watch. After owning one for 20 or so years, it is still one of my favorite watches.

Cheers

Building a franken is tough because the gen dial won't fit in the rep case- the dial is too small or the case is too big- take your pick.

Rep dials are wrong- they say "Oyster Perpetual Date".

The example you show looks very nice, maybe it's time to consider a gen!

I beg to differ. I have seen a franken with gen mvmt / dial / crown and bezel insert before and it goes for a fraction of a gen. Just be careful when u are buying this vintage pieces. I had my tudor submariner snowflakes check at the Rolex Centre. Buyer is will to take back if parts are not original.

Guest vantica

Here are the details from the seller:

"2 million serial GMT 1675. Recently serviced. All original Hands,Dial Datewheel. All tritium. Serviced last week and new crystal installed. Runs

Though is there any way to make a franken similar or close to that?

Building a 1675 is possible but not easy, check out this thread:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/build-1675-t7629...amp;hl=1675+gmt

Too Much Gear and i went down the same road on this and this is the result ....

gmt-102.jpg

gmt-103.jpg

Of course if you can, always go for the gen, its a good time to pick up a bargain

Cheers

P.

Guest vantica

Nice, Looks good. How much did that cost you? I was also looking on eBay and seeing some great deals going by...... Though don't know if and what to look for in difference from a fake.

Nice, Looks good. How much did that cost you? I was also looking on eBay and seeing some great deals going by...... Though don't know if and what to look for in difference from a fake.

Thanks. Cost in the region of 650-700 usd. Its has custom made dial and a gen crown, gen Jubilee bracelet and gen tropic. But most of all a lot of work which unless you can do yourself you have to find a watchmaker who you can work with on reps.

Cheers

P.