When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bracelet Rattle Fix

P4GTR

The hollow mid link bracelet on my sub made more noise than a virgin on

prom night. Now it's as quiet as a celibate mute.

I'm into biking, mountain biking specifically. My first job was actually in a bikeshop. Anyhow, I finally decided to test my theory, that a really high end dry lube

would solve bracelet rattle. (not the same dry lube used on movements)

Let me tell you, it works. Not only does it work, it cleans the bracelet,

protects it, and basically time-release waxes it.

I used Rock N Roll Extreme chain lube.

DSC00678.jpg

http://www.rocklube.com/index.html

White lightning or a similar product should work as well. Go to a bike shop

and ask for dry lube for the chain. Dry lube should have sediment at the bottom of the bottle-

DSC00682.jpg

Don't be shy with the lube application. This isn't one drop, 3 in 1

oil. Remove the bracelet and place it in an appropriately sized ziplock bag. Shake the lube vigorously, then immediately squirt a healthy

stream up and down the bracelet. The idea is for the bracelet to be able to be wet in the stuff, without drowning in it. At this point I also add in 1-3 drops of food grade mineral oil. Feel free to experiment with and without the mineral oil. I've found that a few drops (less is more!) improve the quality of the result without leaving an oily aftermath so long as you only use a drop or two.

Next, work the mixture into the links by moving the bracelet

around, shaking it in the bag, wiggling the links around and whatnot.

You may be surprised to see more dirt and grime coming out of that bracelet than you expected. We're replacing that with vitamins and nutrients for steel! :bb:

Let it sit for a few, bag open. The solvent will evaporate and the wax in the

dry lube will set. 5 minutes is more than enough. Rub it around again in the thickened sauce, then wash your bracelet

in soap and water. Dry and buff with a towel. Repeat as needed.

No oily residue. No rattle. Great feel.

DSC00681.jpg

All things considered, if they were forced to choose; i'd bet virgins on

prom night would probably prefer the nipple cream. I know, I digress.

nipcre.jpg

No other method has worked nearly as well for me. The bracelet lube, I mean, guttermind.

Good info P4.

Do you know if it's silicon based?

I use this stuff:

05074.jpg

I wonder if it's similar. This spray goes on wet but dries is seconds leaving a dry silicon film.

It's great on bracelets, but maybe even better on my wm9 sub bezel. Makes for a buttery smooth, slightly resistant, soft clicking bezel movement.

The hollow mid link bracelet on my sub made more noise than a virgin on

prom night. Now it's as quiet as a celibate mute.

Or as quiet as the wife after 20+ years of marriage? :lol:

Just got my WM9 V2 and I think I'll pick up a can of this on the way home. Thanks for the tip!

Good info P4.

Do you know if it's silicon based?

I wonder if it's similar. This spray goes on wet but dries is seconds leaving a dry silicon film.

It's great on bracelets, but maybe even better on my wm9 sub bezel. Makes for a buttery smooth, slightly resistant, soft clicking bezel movement.

It contains petroleum distillates. It might have silicon, I don't know. It works way better than the silicone spray imo. The petro evaporates and leaves that waxy/teflon stuff behind. Reapplication will be necessary eventually.

What I like best is the viscocity after the job is done. I never felt oil on my wrist. The bracelet for lack of a better word felt more "gen".

No seeping onto my boxset. This is about 2 days after the lube was applied. It was in the box for a day or so. I just picked it up to check-

DSC00684.jpg

Or as quiet as the wife after 20+ years of marriage? :lol:

Just got my WM9 V2 and I think I'll pick up a can of this on the way home. Thanks for the tip!

:rofl: Grats, nice choice. Don't forget the nipple cream. Whats the worst she can say? No?

It contains petroleum distillates. It might have silicon, I don't know. It works way better than the silicone spray imo. The petro evaporates and leaves that waxy/teflon stuff behind. Reapplication will be necessary eventually.

What I like best is the viscocity after the job is done. I never felt oil on my wrist. The bracelet for lack of a better word felt more "gen".

No seeping onto my boxset. This is about 2 days after the lube was applied. It was in the box for a day or so. I just picked it up to check-

Thanks...I'll give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you P4GTR for this idea.

I received my WM9 on Friday, and just completed this today. However, no Rock Lube available at my bike store, so I went with White Lightning Clean Ride. I can confidently say, exact same results.

Additions to P4GTR's OP:

• I used a can of compressed air to further dry out the hollow mid-links after the wash off.
  • Also, I separated the bracelet into 2 half's. 1st unfasten at clasp, then remove each half from head.

Great results. This is totally silent ~on the wrist~. Off the wrist, the sound has been reduced from clanky steel on steel to a very muted, to be expected gen like sound.

It is also silky smooth, and as your wrist swells throughout the day, it doesn't stick/bind on your wrist.

86img1684.jpg

What I used.

:thumbs: to P4GTR. This should be a sticky.

-Ronin

Just finished applying the Rock n Roll lube and giving my WM9 bracelet the P4GTR treatment.

The band is now buttery smooth and quiet as a mouse.

I also used RoninQ's canned air trick and finished it all off with a Flitz cloth.

Give it a try!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends. The R-n-R and WL have a cleaning agent built in. Cleans, waxes, lubes. If it is good enough to clean and lube a bike chain, I think you are fine.

I did mine on a brand new WM9 bracelet. If you have been wearing yours for some time, I suppose a pre-clean couldn't hurt. Personally, I hate mixing chemicals.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody

I have just done the Bike Chain Wax thingy to my GMTIIc bracelet and want to let you know that the result is way beyond the expected! B)

I have tried baby oil (smells girlieish), sewing machine oil (irritates the skin) and olive oil (omg, don't do this, it smells rancid within days!) before and those methods don't even come close.

So I think this thread deserves a bumb event though it's a shame the pix are gone.

Kind regards

Val.

• 1 month later...

As a follow up to this, there is one FYI/Issue with this solution.

The "cleaning wax" adheres very well, and if you attempt to wipe your watch with a cloth, you will transfer the wax from the bracelet to the crystal if you are not careful. Likewise, with long sleeves. I am constantly getting a film on the crystal from the wax. It does not hurt the crystal, but makes it look smudgy. :mellow:-_-

As per instruction, only get chain wax lube from whatever brand you prefer. The whole point is not to lube, but to get a load of thick long lasting wax inside the links to cushion them. This is not thin furniture polish, this is meant to be used on chains so it's much thicker.

I started using wax lube on my R6 in 2000. WAY cleaner and quiet.

• 1 year later...

As a follow up to this, there is one FYI/Issue with this solution.

The "cleaning wax" adheres very well, and if you attempt to wipe your watch with a cloth, you will transfer the wax from the bracelet to the crystal if you are not careful. Likewise, with long sleeves. I am constantly getting a film on the crystal from the wax. It does not hurt the crystal, but makes it look smudgy. :mellow:-_-

White lightning might be a little waxier than the Rock n Roll if I remember correctly, which is good and bad, honestly they both work great for this. I've had this happen with the R&R,too. There's just too much dry lube left over if this happens. After treating my bracelets I actually give them a cool soap and water rinse. This should keep enough dry lube around to do its job without having problems with residual residue on the wrist.