When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Home made how to. Silver flat top three datewheel

Slartibartfast

Some may remember that I spent some considerable time tinkering with my 1655 rep, originally bought from Trusty.

One of the mods I carried out was to create a flat top three datewheel overlay in AutoCAD and print this onto a label blank, stuck this over the original overlay and hey presto, an updated and improved look to the watch :D

You can read all about my attempts at modding this long suffering watch here

However, I was never fully satisfied with the finish of the printing with this overlay mod, so have had another go, and at the same time stumbled onto a cheap and cheerful way to create that silver datewheel look.

Many reps have date windows in the dial that do not line up with the original datewheel on the movement used in the watch. To overcome this the rep factories sometimes use a steel disk printed with the date numerals on top of a white background simply stuck over the original datewheel, which then aligns with the rep dial date window. Well it struck me that all I had to do was remove the white paint and digits from the datewheel overlay disk to end up with a steel (silver) disk.

Now I have re-printed my original AutoCAD work on a laser waterslide decal sheet, that I bought from ebay.

Following the steps below, you too could have that silver datewheel look for next to nothing.

First step...strip the watch down, and remove the datewheel overlay. This is simply stuck over the original ETA wheel using double sided tape.

IMG_4481.jpg

Now dump the overlay in a cup of paint stripper. The original paint and numerals, simply 'fall off'.

IMG_4491.jpg

Now here's the datewheel stripped of all original paint. It is actually much 'shinier' than the photo shows it.

IMG_4492.jpg

Now here is the datewheel next to the printed image on the water decal sheet. The print quality of the digits on the decal is quite good using a 1200dpi laserjet office printer.

IMG_4497.jpg

Place the original datewheel overlay onto something solid, ready to accept the decal, once you have immersed it in water for 30 seconds.

It is quite tricky to get the decal aligned correctly on the metal disk. I trashed a few trying to get it right, but you can fit well over a couple of dozen images on one A4 sheet, so never mind.

IMG_4500.jpg

Here is the finished overlay with the decal in place. As the decal background is transparent, the shiny metal background shows through

IMG_4502.jpg

Now position the overlay onto the original datewheel on the movement, and glue in place after ensuring it is aligned through 360 degrees with the date window. This takes quite a lot of trial and effort to get right.

IMG_4508.jpg

Once you are done, re-build the unit and sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour!

IMG_4513.jpg

IMG_4514.jpg

These photos really do not do justice to the metallic look of the datewheel. It looks grey in these pics, but it actually does have a genuine metallic look and shine to it.

Go on guys....if I can do it, anyone can!

Guest carlsbadrolex

That is fricken awesome... I think that you might have a little side business if you wanted to provide these waterslide decals.

The great thing about doing it this way is that the water slide stickers are so thin that there would be no clearance issues at all.

OUTSTANDING, and let me know when you make these available for purchase!

T

That is fricken awesome... I think that you might have a little side business if you wanted to provide these waterslide decals.

T

Thanks, but I wouldn't be too confident that all datewheel overlays are the same size between models. Worth a thought though!

The great thing about doing it this way is that the water slide stickers are so thin that there would be no clearance issues at all.

You are quite right. The previous attempt using a label sticker was not so good, the date change was restricted by the thickness of the paper. Now though, the date clicks over sweetly, just as if it was factory fresh.

Such an elegant, yet simple solution

Cheers TeeJay! The simple solution is often the best.

Guest avitt

Faaantastic!

I've think I've got a couple of spare date overlays scattered around...I'm going to see if I can apply a radially brushed finish to one.

...Then I'm going to wait until until you make these waterslide decals available... ;)

Interesting idea!

I've got a couple hundred blanks waiting to be printed. some are prepainted, and some are still bare steel. I might have to give it a try.

How is the resolution? I tried to print out at 1200dpi on laser during test printing and I find it not clean enough, and I am using a vector file. I'll see if I can find someone with 2400dpi output that can print and give your method a shot.

In response to a question from stilty about the resolution and print quality at 1200dpi, I have added these two pics zoomed to a gazillion times normal size, that should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Printed onto the decal sheet, yet to be cut to size.

IMG_4524.jpg

And a collage of pics of the finished DW insitu, which should give you an idea of how shiny the overlay is, which my previous pictures did not.

dw.jpg

When viewed with the naked eye, the quality is quite acceptable (IMHO). You would need to whip your loupe out of your pocket and shove your Explorer adorned wrist in your eye for it to be an issue.

Thanks for all the interest guys! :D

(apologies for the awful quality of my photography :rolleyes: )