When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega 2254.50 SMP Black - talk about modding now ! ;)

namor

Not liking it at all on the leather. I like the Speedmaster on my St. Moritz carbon strap but for some reason the Seamaster in your pictures just doesn't look happy on that strap. Send it to me and I'll send you back a picture of it happy on its' new carbon strap.

:)

Thanks for the comments - actually, I like it very much on the leather with white stitching with it's Omega clasp - it has a classy look, but I prefer it on it's S/S-bracelet which is currently on my bench and waits for a careful cleaning and refinishing ;)

The secret of this watch is... Aaah, come on, just a little more patience, would like to hear some more thoughts :)

:wub:

Modded old factory?

Former PAW?

:thumbs:

:drinks:

It's indeed a Franken project of mine, so happy to have it finished !!

There's nothing like a watch you built yourself...

Took me almost a year to collect all the necessary parts in perfect condition and for fair prices (otherwise it wouldn't make sense as the watch would get more expensive than a used gen...).

- old/closed factory case with laser engraved serial, 100% correct HEV, correct CGs and built for taking the clone 2892 movement

- tube, crown, HEV and sapphire genlike (have all the parts also genuine in my partsbox - but as it was not necessary to swap them, I'll keep them for another project)

- carefully chosen aftermarket bezel insert

- gen bezel

- gen pearl

- gen dial

- gen hands

- gen datewheel

- gen 1120 movement, freshly serviced

- movement holders machined by me, brushed and refinished by my watchsmith

Now only thing left is the matching old factory bracelet with correct endlinks and pins - as I said before it's just waiting for a careful cleaning and refinishing...

Having owned the gen watch (both black and blue) I can say that this one is absolutely indistinguishable from the gen - no wonder considering all the gen parts... But it's not only the optical satisfaction, after having handled every single part of this watch, it also feels like the gen...

Timekeeping was very good - but after having a service it runs easily within chronometer specs, the 1120 is a very beautiful workhorse...

That's for the secret... Now for the history :) :

I got the base for this mariage/franken from a friend in a trade - it was in horrible condition :vava: after an diving accident the complete bezel incl. the assembly was lost and gone in the deep ocean... The watch was flooded with saltwater and the whole dial-hands-datewheel-movement was corroded to a single piece !! :o

Having it in my hands I decided to give this gem a second life - even better than it was ever before !! My project was born !!

That's the final result - thanks for your nice comments so far and for reading ;)

It's indeed a Franken project of mine, so happy to have it finished !!

There's nothing like a watch you built yourself...

I know exactly how you feel. There's nothing like seeing a long term project come to a close, however the path to get there in collecting parts, missing out on and closing deals, finding that one single piece that takes a year or longer to obtain, and putting it all together with your own two hands... It makes the entire endeavor interesting but also helps solidify a personal, sentimental attachment to the piece being built. Nothing like seeing it all come together, and when you finally strap that watch to your wrist, look down and realize 'I built this...', it makes it all worth the time, effort, money and wait.

Beautiful piece, Namor. I love it!

Beautiful work...beautiful photos.

The black dial 2254 is a long time favorite. I also have the older closed factory case, with the correct HE valve placement.

I wear mine with a gen rubber strap and gen ss deployment clasp. The gen strap and clasp cost three time what the watch did.

But after replacing the ss band I feel the rubber strap makes the watch a classic 'diver'.

Wear it well.

Excellent franken!

Am also in the process of buildng a 2254.

I have all the parts gen dial, bezel insert, hands, crown, tube, swiss 2824 and crystal but am having problems getting the gen crystal to fit the old skool case.

P.S Namor...your bezel insert is a little off. :rolleyes:

I know exactly how you feel. There's nothing like seeing a long term project come to a close, however the path to get there in collecting parts, missing out on and closing deals, finding that one single piece that takes a year or longer to obtain, and putting it all together with your own two hands... It makes the entire endeavor interesting but also helps solidify a personal, sentimental attachment to the piece being built. Nothing like seeing it all come together, and when you finally strap that watch to your wrist, look down and realize 'I built this...', it makes it all worth the time, effort, money and wait.

Beautiful piece, Namor. I love it!

Exact description of what I felt holding the finished product in my hand ! You're absolutely right... It's a great feeling - and the watch has a completely different sentimental value...

Beautiful work...beautiful photos.

The black dial 2254 is a long time favorite. I also have the older closed factory case, with the correct HE valve placement.

I wear mine with a gen rubber strap and gen ss deployment clasp. The gen strap and clasp cost three time what the watch did.

But after replacing the ss band I feel the rubber strap makes the watch a classic 'diver'.

Wear it well.

Thank you for your kind words ! Enjoy your watch - they're really rare birds meanwhile ;)

Great watch, i love mine though not as good as yours

DSC03638.jpg

I wish i could find a good insert, i barely stand my pearl :(

Please consider what I want to propose you: you can make a huge improvement to your watch very easily ! It's quite easy to recess the pearl and make it sunken into the insert like it should be ! Just remove the insert carefully (not a big thing if you damage it, they're cheaply available !) and remove the pearl, it's just badly glued on usually... Then take a fine needle-file and carefully enlarge the hole for the pearl just so much that you can push the pearl in so it sits flushed with the insert - then use a drop of glue from the backside to secure it - et voil

Excellent franken!

Am also in the process of buildng a 2254.

I have all the parts gen dial, bezel insert, hands, crown, tube, swiss 2824 and crystal but am having problems getting the gen crystal to fit the old skool case.

P.S Namor...your bezel insert is a little off. :rolleyes:

Hey my friend, you just scared me really bad :lol:

I ran to my watchbox and inspected the watch - the insert is aligned very well :p

Old skool case with a 2824 ? Ah, yeah - there were different versions available back then... I'm curious if a 1120 movement would fit that one too..?

Without an old-factory case you'll have a hard time to install the gen 1120 movement - the stem will not line up... :(

(I have tried several different SMP cases - none worked except the old/closed factory 2892-clone case)

The 1120 will work fine in his case if it came with a 2824. I'm currently wearing a Franken 2531.80, complete with a genuine 1120 that fits the case perfectly - stem alignment and all (spot on center), and it's not the closed factory case (it's the case that is commonly available from Josh, Andrew, etc).

Maybe your movement spacer was the culprit?

BTW - great job!!

• 5 months later...

very nice watch . looks nice on leather .

I have the gen of this .

just a thought would it be more cost effective to buy a used gen quartz and add a auto clone movement.

No, it would not - the case, dial, hands, datewheel and the stem of the quartz aren't compatible to the auto movement and vice versa...

I have a crappy Asian 21j that has died on me and I'm thinking of swapping in an ETA 2836.

Can anybody tell me off hand what the part number is for the gen handset?

As well, does anybody know if the date window positioning will be screwed up if I switch to an ETA? I'll assume I'll have to use dial dots after cutting the dial feet off...and I'll have to get a new movement spacer, but the datewheel should at least be right being a gen ETA.