When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's Wrong with Quartz Watch

Mark Eleven

Don't get me wrong, I've been collecting mechanical auto watches - buying new ones and flipping ones which have less wrist-time for more than 11 years. I love mechanical watches and at one time, even scorn at quartz watches.

But recently, a friend asked me - what's wrong with quartz watches? In terms on accuracy, quartz is better. In terms of ruggedness, quartz wins hand-down. In terms of practicality, quartz wins (less maintenance, no need to adjust time after not wearing for some time, etc).

Some WIS say mechanical has souls, but mechanical movements are also mass manufactured like quartz. Where's the soul if it's also mass factory manufactured?

Perhaps it's the Swiss marketing that made us what we are today as WIS?

I couldn't logically and satisfactory answer my friend, but I know I still like my mechanical watches for what they are (look at the smooth sweep). But his question made me more open to quartz watches.

I know that if all of the watches are quartz, then I won't be collecting as many watches as I have today. I think owning mechanical watches is not purely for time keeping.

Don't get me wrong, I've been collecting mechanical auto watches - buying new ones and flipping ones which have less wrist-time for more than 11 years. I love mechanical watches and at one time, even scorn at quartz watches.

But recently, a friend asked me - what's wrong with quartz watches? In terms on accuracy, quartz is better. In terms of ruggedness, quartz wins hand-down. In terms of practicality, quartz wins (less maintenance, no need to adjust time after not wearing for some time, etc).

Some WIS say mechanical has souls, but mechanical movements are also mass manufactured like quartz. Where's the soul if it's also mass factory manufactured?

Perhaps it's the Swiss marketing that made us what we are today as WIS?

I couldn't logically and satisfactory answer my friend, but I know I still like my mechanical watches for what they are (look at the smooth sweep). But his question made me more open to quartz watches.

I have nothing against quartz for a true tool "wrist computer", for certain tasks. (When they can make a 'mechanical' heart rate monitor w/GPS for fitness endeavors, I will scorn quartz) ;)

On the flip side if there is NO seconds hand or other complications, or clear case backs, what the hell-- why not. Why not a PAM 112 variant that has a closed case back. ??? No soul, maybe...

13 things 'wrong' with quartz watches:

1...cheap

2...accurate

3...dependable

4...rugged (compared to mechanical)

5...still on time when parked for months

6...no guilt when you run them until they die because of no service

7...fix or replace the movement when they finally go DOA, no $100 an hour Watch Wizard needed

8...no $500 service every 5 years

9...quartz chronographs do not have expensive, hard to repair problems like mechanical chronographs, just put a new movement in the watch

10...drown your quartz watch and you may be out as much as $50 compared to $1000+ for a mechanical rolex, panerai etc

11...do it yourself battery changes may cost as much as $1!

12...you are not afraid to see if it is still running after you drop it

13...no soul :(

Maybe the 'soul' is where all the mechanical watch problems come from. :p

A quartz probably has more soul than a mechanical..

Since a mechanical simply unwinds itself to run like a toy car.

A quartz actually has a pulse, something like thousands of times per second, and has an electric current running through it, much like the human body.

In fact the human body is closer to a circuit board than an intricate mechanical system

If I hasd some spare cash I would fork out on this quartx baby http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Sports-Analo...MTD-1054-1AVEF/ check out the reviews..

There is nothing wrong with quartz but as long as folk keep dislikeing them the longer bargan quartz collectables will be out there.

Take the RAF Seikos for example most types can be had for under three hundred bucks.

seikochronos72.jpg

Between the RAF and Navy models there's about a dozen to chose from.

The grand daddy of all collectable Seiko chronos is the RAF Vulcan model. Issued only to flight crews of the bombers they are named after there are less than 800 of these made but you can still have one for just over a grand.

image021.gif

You won't find any plactic in these. All metal MVT, acurate to with in 1/60 sec a day and full EMF shielding better than that of a Milgauss.

Or maybe one of the moden classics:

seiko_SNA411.jpg

Not the same quality of MVT now days of cause but as stated earlier at least you can replace it for fifty bucks or so.

Even Rolex, Brietling and co have the occaisional foray into quartz.

Col.

Do the old tuning fork accutrons count as quartz? Quasi-quartz? If so... I'd gladly take one of those. It's on my list of watches to buy at some point when I get around to it :)

Ditto. I nearly bought a Spaceview 214 a couple of months ago, but ended up buying a car instead. But one day soon......

Nothing is wrong with quartz. I have a Cartier and a Longines rep that are quartz. Neither has a seconds hand or an open caseback, so these watches can pull it off.

I have two gens that are quartz too.

I would not get a quartz rep if the gen is auto or manual wind though if there is a seconds hand.

Edited by If you see Kay

Ditto. I nearly bought a Spaceview 214 a couple of months ago, but ended up buying a car instead. But one day soon......

Oddly enough, it's one of those watches that I think 'Maybe I'll buy one today', but then I always get sidetracked or distracted with something else that pushes the ol' tuning fork to the back burner.

Just not one of those high priority things, I guess?

:)

Oddly enough, it's one of those watches that I think 'Maybe I'll buy one today', but then I always get sidetracked or distracted with something else that pushes the ol' tuning fork to the back burner.

Just not one of those high priority things, I guess?

:)

I have wanted a 214 since 1 of my relatives got 1 of the 1st Spaceviews in the early 60s. But, like you said, something (usually a Rolex) always got in the way. But it will be the next watch I buy (with a Doxa being number 2).

It may seem that quartz may be more durable, the fact is that I would rather have an automatic watch if I were to be stranded on a desert island. Quartz weak point is the battery, dying every year or two. My wife has 4 or 5 quartz watches and she will wear them until they die, and she ends up with 5 dead watches. I have about a dozen watches which I can wear at any time without worry, and have not had to worry about buying batteries once.

Quartz may be more accurate over the long haul, but I never wear any one watch for more than a day or so, and I accurately set the date and time when I switch them. Since they are all regulated to within a few seconds a day, my watches are always as accurate as any quartz watch.

They may not be for everybody, but for me mechanical watches rule.

Nothing wrong with quartz watches at all :) I think it's simply a case of mechanical watches being a product of their time (ie quartz not being available 100 odd years ago) and those brands now having a prestige reputation. I think that the simplicity of a quartz movement compared to a mechanical movement, is part of the reason why quartz are popular in some circles, mechanical popular in others, in that it's a case of whatever interests the person more.

It'd be cool of some of the 'prestige companies' were to start making affordable quartz watches, but I guess they won't do it, so as not to impact on the prestige of their mechanical watches :D

Here's a quartz watch I enjoy wearing :)

DSCN0984.jpg

Do the old tuning fork accutrons count as quartz? Quasi-quartz? If so... I'd gladly take one of those. It's on my list of watches to buy at some point when I get around to it :)

Smooth as butter with a distinct hummmmmm. Watches are art. If you want correct to the second time check your cell phone.

Perhaps something like this R:

post-216-1242795489_thumb.jpg