When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Purists Got Us Smoked!

Everythingape

I found this reading around about watches:

"Why do people buy fakes and what does it say about them?

Here's what buying and wearing fake/counterfeit watches really says about the wearer:

Poor Grasp of Value - Replicas are made to sell by looking like something far more valuable than they are. They are seldom made for quality, carry no warranty, are made from cheap parts and are usually not worth repairing. They are basically overpriced disposable products, so are a poor value for your money.

Lack of Integrity - Those that choose cheap replicas to try to impress others that they have a real luxury watch are using falsehoods to represent themselves. So that makes people wonder what else about how you represent yourself is false.

Weak Ethics - Choosing replica watches shows the world that you are willing to support unethical and illegal businesses--not giving a care about the ethics and legalities involved if they get in the way of getting something that you want cheaply.

Gullible - Especially where someone unknowingly buys a fake, they show themselves to be easily deceived and someone that throws caution to the winds trying to get a super deal on an expensive item.

Isolated - Certainly there are no clubs for owners of fakes. No comraderie among fellow owners. No sharing of tips, tricks and performance issues. No assistance with operation, warranty or repair issues. Fake buyers are on their own with nobody to care, nobody to help and nobody to compliment or encourage them--except for the occasional person you might encounter that doesn't know enough about watches to realize you are trying to 'impress' them with a cheap counterfeit. "

I love the last one, buying a fake Seamaster will isolate me and leave me friendless and sad.. Unless I meet someone gullible in a back alley who offers to align my bezel.

I think this says more about some of the people who buy REAL watches! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edit: forgot the courtesy link http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/count....shtml#whatsays

Edited by Everythingape

Poor Grasp of Value - Replicas are made to sell by looking like something far more valuable than they are. They are seldom made for quality, carry no warranty, are made from cheap parts and are usually not worth repairing. They are basically overpriced disposable products, so are a poor value for your money. Unlike our grasp of value where a brand name makes us wet our pants. We gladly pay up for not being able to service it where we want, by whom we want, and listen to our beloved companies techies when they tell us that our gold case needs a refinishing to go with that service - every time.

Lack of Integrity - Those that choose cheap replicas to try to impress others that they have a real luxury watch are using falsehoods to represent themselves. So that makes people wonder what else about how you represent yourself is false. Unlike us, who try to impress others with real luxury watches.

Gullible - Especially where someone unknowingly buys a fake, they show themselves to be easily deceived and someone that throws caution to the winds trying to get a super deal on an expensive item. For more on this subject, please see "poor grasp of value"

Some things were left out prior to the publishing :(

Isolated - Certainly there are no clubs for owners of fakes. No comraderie among fellow owners. No sharing of tips, tricks and performance issues. No assistance with operation, warranty or repair issues. Fake buyers are on their own with nobody to care, nobody to help and nobody to compliment or encourage them--except for the occasional person you might encounter that doesn't know enough about watches to realize you are trying to 'impress' them with a cheap counterfeit. "

Ahh..............Well.........Umm..........nah fagetaboutit :whistling:

Ken

Time to commit harikiri......:cc_hang:

But my pen-knife needs sharpening... :cc_surrender:

so another time, another place.... :nopity:

:gathering:

I think I have split personality, since I have both gen and rep.

Hahahah.. same here... My good part is ashamed of my bad part and my bad part is saying how stupid is my good part..

DO I make any sense ? No.. and neither what they wrote :p

i think after reading that ill go out & spend 7k on a rolex tt sub serti face & forget about taking my family on a hawaian cruise ... :yeah:

If I were you, i bought reps for the whole family and take theam on a hawaian cruise......

There's a great car commercial where the hybrid selling car company asks "What do you think your automobile purchase says about you?"

They then show a bunch of luxury and sport car owners driving around with megaphones, repeating over and over again things like...

Female Lexus owner "...because Daddy didn't love me enough....because Daddy didn't love me enough...because Daddy didn't love me enough"

Male Mustang Owner "...because I'm compensating for my shortcomings...because I'm compensating for my shortcomings...because I'm compensating for my shortcomings"

Male Mercedes owner"...because I make more money than you...because I make more money than you...because I make more money than you"

I think you can substitute high end genuine owners who look down their noses at us and try to pathologize our purchases for any of the above owners of luxury vehicles. Don't point the finger of mental illness at me buddy. Anyone who spends $75,000 on a watch ought to be in some serious threapy.

Edited by crystalcranium

• 1 year later...

That is not a hybrid commercial, that is a VW Passat commercial.

Interestingly enough, a VW Passat can easily cost as much as a BMW 3 series and is one of the most problematic cars sold in this country. It makes for an interesting parallel in this context.

There's a great car commercial where the hybrid selling car company asks "What do you think your automobile purchase says about you?"

They then show a bunch of luxury and sport car owners driving around with megaphones, repeating over and over again things like...

Female Lexus owner "...because Daddy didn't love me enough....because Daddy didn't love me enough...because Daddy didn't love me enough"

Male Mustang Owner "...because I'm compensating for my shortcomings...because I'm compensating for my shortcomings...because I'm compensating for my shortcomings"

Male Mercedes owner"...because I make more money than you...because I make more money than you...because I make more money than you"

I think you can substitute high end genuine owners who look down their noses at us and try to pathologize our purchases for any of the above owners of luxury vehicles. Don't point the finger of mental illness at me buddy. Anyone who spends $75,000 on a watch ought to be in some serious threapy.

Hahahah.. same here... My good part is ashamed of my bad part and my bad part is saying how stupid is my good part..

DO I make any sense ? No.. and neither what they wrote :p

I was about to write the same thing. So if I wear my gen on my left wrist, and my rep on the right, will my arms automatically be drawn into good/bad/anti/pro/+/- combat?

That is not a hybrid commercial, that is a VW Passat commercial.

Interestingly enough, a VW Passat can easily cost as much as a BMW 3 series and is one of the most problematic cars sold in this country. It makes for an interesting parallel in this context.

I love when year-old posts are revived. I recently did the one with the NATO straps. :)

P.S.: Love the "isolation" bit best. Yes, I feel so isolated on RWG.CC, RWG.CC, Repgeeks, and RWI!! Woe is me.