When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Toy

Guest avitt

Guest avitt

Victim #1: My trusty DRSD.

This one's been in the water before, but I had some serious doubts about its "seaworthiness". Tested to 3 ATM with no problem, so I took 'er down to "full depth" (~6 ATM, or 200 ft):

img5758y.jpg

You can see the bubbles forming from the air that was trapped under the bezel, but not a stream of bubbles which would indicate failure:

img5760j.jpg

A second test with the bezel removed clearly shows the integrity of the case...No leaks!

img5763p.jpg

I've also tested a couple of other gens that I like to wear in the water...So far, so good.

In my experience, if they test to 3 bar, they will invariably test to 6 bar (never had one fail between 3 and 6!)

Unless you really want/need to have a 200' test, you are best not to load the Bergeon up too many times.

They are actually designed for 3 atm testing, with occasional 6 atm tests.

They are great toys to play with, aren't they? :p

O/S

Guest avitt
In my experience, if they test to 3 bar, they will invariably test to 6 bar (never had one fail between 3 and 6!)

Unless you really want/need to have a 200' test, you are best not to load the Bergeon up too many times.

They are actually designed for 3 atm testing, with occasional 6 atm tests.

They are great toys to play with, aren't they? :p

O/S

Thanks for the tips, Offshore :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This is actually a Bergeon knockoff, that I bought for less than $300 (I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same tool that is sold under the Bergeon name.) It didn't come with instructions, so I just downloaded a set from the Labanda site...I'll keep the pressure down in the future.

Just curious...Have you blown out the seals on a Bergeon tester? (I'm trusting that the Bergeon replacement parts will fit, if something goes wrong.)

Guest avitt
haha a rep tester for testing reps... that classic :clap:

Now, now! I'm calling it a sterile homage :D They didn't actually go so far as sticking a fake Bergeon label on it... ;)

A newbie question here: Why do you test with the movement in place? If there is a leak, aren't you looking at a adding lot more work to your day?

Rob

If it leaks, the case is pressurized with 3ATM ... water can not get in.

A newbie question here: Why do you test with the movement in place? If there is a leak, aren't you looking at a adding lot more work to your day?

Rob

As a matter of fact this type of pressure testing is working a bit differently than what you fear: you build the pressure up inside the chamber with the watch NOT immersed. After reaching the desired pressure you submerge the watch in the water and start releasing the pressure. If there is no leak, then the watch is under no danger. If there was a leak, then the case is at higher pressure (say 3ATM) than the chamber, and there will be air exiting the case (in the form of a series of small bubbles) There is no way that water will enter the case in this scenario. Hope it clear now.

Guest avitt

I picked up a tip from another forum, which I've added to the test routine:

If a case does happen to have a leak, then I guess that it's not uncommon for the crystal to blow out when the pressure is released. If that happens under water, it creates a small disaster :(

So I put the watch through a complete pressurize/depressurize cycle above the water first. If the crystal remains in place, then I perform the normal procedure under water.

If a case does happen to have a leak, then I guess that it's not uncommon for the crystal to blow out when the pressure is released. If that happens under water, it creates a small disaster :(

So I put the watch through a complete pressurize/depressurize cycle above the water first. If the crystal remains in place, then I perform the normal procedure under water.

This is what happened to my euromariner! Luckily it was still above the water. After that my watchmaker said "Sorry Charlie, No more water tests on that watch." Maybe some day I'll get around to trying a new gasket and crystal and see if it helps.

I picked up a tip from another forum, which I've added to the test routine:

Good call, hadn't thought of that scenario!

O/S

I'm still coming to pick up the old banger OS.

I even heard a rumer that one of my clients was planing on paying up so hopefully be there soon to collect it and any other stuff you wanna sell me :)

We gotta get the back of the sub as well. Can't wait to see what damage a year of abuse has caused let alone how much dirt comes out in the wash. Well, splash and dip anyways. It's back to keeping perfect time again after a cpl of weeks of loseing a half hour a day. Wierd.

Col.

I'm still coming to pick up the old banger OS.

I even heard a rumer that one of my clients was planing on paying up so hopefully be there soon to collect it and any other stuff you wanna sell me :)

We gotta get the back of the sub as well. Can't wait to see what damage a year of abuse has caused let alone how much dirt comes out in the wash. Well, splash and dip anyways. It's back to keeping perfect time again after a cpl of weeks of loseing a half hour a day. Wierd.

Col.

:D I know what he's talking about :rolleyes:

Offshore

The rest can attempt a translation :)

How about this? "Hackerspeak"

I"M STIL7C OJING TO iX0R UP TEH OL DABNGER OS i even heard a rumar trhat one of mY Cl3Ints was planing on paYin up so hopefully be trehr3 sooin to cillect it and 4ny other stuff u wa|\|na sell m3 smile OLLOOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we gotta get teh baX0r 0f the subas \\\\////\\\\////ell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IU will hack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~~ lool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 loolloolololol~~~ CAN'T WAIT TO S3E WH4T DAMAGE A Y3AR OF ABUSE HAS UCZD LET ALONE HOW ,UCH DIRT C0/\/\ES 0UT IN TH3 WAS!!!!!!!!!!111~~~ WELL, PSLASHJ AND DIP ANYWAYZ ITS BAX0R TO KEEPING P3RFFETC TIME AGAIN AFT4R a CPL OF WEEKZ OF LOSIENG A QAHLF H0UR A DAY w3ird