When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big Crown fantasy franken completed

ogladio

Hi guys,

Thought I'd share some pictures and info about this watch with non-matching case/dial, just completed. Temporarily on rep rivet bracelet.

r5WiuI.jpg
7ynpzr.jpg
sVbzDk.jpg
iEm4GI.jpg
n5AvPq.jpg
Zcuqj9.jpg
SoyH0H.jpg
3gKFbu.jpg
gdm6ns.jpg
tqUOOV.jpg

DpGBhU.jpg

Specs:

• Phong 6538 case, aged and reshaped with added bevels
  • 1030 movement, serviced
  • Rolex 6536 dial
  • Rolex MkI / kissing 4 insert
  • Tropic 17 superdome crystal
  • Rolex 8mm crown + tube

Huge thanks to dbane883 for helping me out in the beginning with advice and blood, sweat and tears later on with that case work. Same goes for misiekped who somehow finally turned a rusty old pile of trash into a excellent running and nice 1030 movement.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

Wow man. Beautiful specimen

Where did you find that dial? Also that inset is in unbelievable condition.

A very big congratulations to you. That is one special watch.

Thank you! Am so incredibly happy about this finally being completed. This watch feels like a family member and I hope to live with it for a very long time.

Was originally set on acquiring an exotic gilt dial from the Dark Lord for this build, but then it turned out when I chatted with the guy who sold the insert that he also had this fairly rare 6536 dial in his drawer... After a lot of thinking and quite some time of negotiations I ended up buying it. Sometimes you get lucky, and parts collecting is indeed a fun part of this hobby!

Congrats.  If I recall, the case started out as a badly over-polished phong case (purchased m2m) that was restored as well as it could be given the circumstances.  Thats the thing about Phong.. its sometimes a crap-shoot about what kind of case you get from him.

Glad it all came together.  it's been a long road for you.

• Like 1

Congrats.  If I recall, the case started out as a badly over-polished phong case (purchased m2m) that was restored as well as it could be given the circumstances.  Thats the thing about Phong.. its sometimes a crap-shoot about what kind of case you get from him.

Glad it all came together.  it's been a long road for you.

Your memory is correct and this couldn't have come together without your help! Forgot to mention that you also did great work on the CWP hands.

That is a beautiful build! I see the SWISS- T 25 on the dial so I'd guess that it's a 60s dial. As a 6537 it should be WR to 150 meters!

I've seen the prices of gen 7206s recently and they're obscene!

That's why it's still on a Yuki bracelet! And yes, to my understanding it's a 60s dial. Don't think I'll test WR anytime soon, even though your logic seems straightforward ;)

So what's the difference between a 6538 and 6536 case? I thought they were the same and the only diff between the models was the depth rating and cosc rating.

If you haven't seen this talking watched episode. Eric Ku is wearing an amazing 6536. The gilt dial just sparkles on his wrist the entire video but jump to 8:45 to listen to just the discussion on the 6536

The 6536 is ridiculously thin, and the 6538 is much thicker. The Big Crown almost makes a 6536 look like a dress watch in comparison.

72dea31cea25b2e3991ce8059b34dacd.jpg

Quick snap to show the difference

• Like 2