When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I think i finally kicked the habit....

jfreeman420

So I think I have finally quit smoking for good. Today marks 7 days without a cigarette. I was a pack to two pack a day smoker for 13 years. Usually more if I was out drinking. I have attempted to quit about 5 or 6 times ths year alone. Always for a day or two and once almost a week. Previous attempts were when I was sick. Once for two weeks and once for three weeks. Every time I have gone back.

I have finally realized that I wasn't totally committed before, but now I am. I also discovered a neat invention caled the electronic cigarette. This device mimics cigarette smoking but doesn't contain tobacco or carcinogens and only delivers flavored water vapor with or without nicotine. There is even an online forum with thousands of e-cig smokers that I have found work as a very effective support group.

In recent years I have had two friends die from cancer, and three others who have been treated for cancer. Getting older makes me realise my mortality and the fact that I don't want to die from cancer.

One of the best parts of all this is because of my enthusiasm, two of my friends ordered an e-cig as well. I hope they quite tobacco eventually.

As for the e-cig, it is the only thing that has worked. I tried the gum, cold turkey, laser, shot, almost accupuncture, you get the picture. This is the first time I am confident that I wont go back to cigarettes.

I have added a banner to my signature that keeps track of my non smoking efforts. I hope that this will inspire others to quit as well. If anyone has any questions, or needs help feel free to contact me directly.

Sweet, well done that man!

Hope you can keep it up - once you're off the e-cigarettes too, think how much money you'll have for reps! ;):D

You should put into a big jar what you would have spent each day - you'll be amazed how quickly it mounts up!

Edited by Member X

This is indeed a difficult habit to break. You nailed it when you mentioned you were not fully committed. My father kicked the habit 10 years ago after smoking for 30 plus years and he is a better man, not to mention a much healthier man for it.

Good for you, be strong. I lost my Mother to smoking related causes, and my Father-In-Law just got done with Chemotherapy for Lung Cancer from Smoking.

I still love an occasional Cigar, but Cigarettes- no thank you.

Stay with it!

Fair play, I have never smoked but I can tell its a hard thing to give up. People I know that have kicked the habit start to tend eating more and start to pile the pounds on so be careful but great job so far!

Just seen how much you have saved over a week $30 dollars...times that by 52 = $1560

couple of nice reps or a gen for that money! :)

Just seen how much you have saved over a week $30 dollars...times that by 52 = $1560

Also seeing that there is a new cigarette tax of $1.00 per pack starting july 1st I should adjust the formula soon.

Hope you can keep it up - once you're off the e-cigarettes too, think how much money you'll have for reps!

You should put into a big jar what you would have spent each day - you'll be amazed how quickly it mounts up!

I already have my eye on a couple next month. My gift for myself when I make 30 days........

I've never smoked but I've seen how tough it can be.

I wouldn't use the term "for good" after 7 days though. Try 7 years! :D

Good luck anyway mate... really, it's a GREAT decision!!! Who cares about money, the health is what counts.

Been off cigarettes for about 4 years now (gave up when my little girl was diagnosed with asthma), I can tell you there are still going to be rough times ahead, even up to a year later there will be times when you wonder if you can have JUST one cigarette, thats when you need to be strong.

Ken

Guest -Pegasus-

That is the best call someone can make, you better keep it that way, all you need is to keep your determination and you're off for good.

I've been off for almost 8 months now and I feel a lot better, my only pet peeve is my crazy appetite that has gone mad ever since I stopped, but that's nothing compared to the great advantage I got by quitting.

BTW, I like your banner, I think I'm gonna use it someday.

5 Weeks ago one of my friends was having fun and enjoying a holiday in Disneyworld, Florida. He went to the Universal studios, went on the rides, laughed with the guys, ate ribs & burgers.. he was completely fine in health, or so it seemed.

A little over 2 weeks ago he was taken into hospital, they quickly gave him Tamiflu, a medicine they use to combat Swine flu - I guess they figured since he'd been to the states and had some kind of illness that they'd just assume it was swine flu straight away..

On friday, he died. In about 3 weeks he'd gone from seeming perfectly healthy to his deathbed. He leaves a large business without a director, 2 sons without a father and a wife without a husband.

He had small cell cancer that he'd gotten almost certainly from the years of smoking he'd done in earlier years, he'd since given up but.. sometimes you're too late.

I don't have to conclude with any other kind of messages really; I just say to you huge congratulations for quitting, you've done extremely well so far and I hope you never look back.

Congrats J, I wish you all the best with it. If you ever need help, a friend of mine does clinical hypnosis to help people quit smoking. Hopefully you'll be fine by yourself :tu:

As for anyone who has an increased appetite, I always find I'm not so hungry after working out or playing sport... or substitute it by drinking lots of water. That fills up your stomach and sates your hunger for a while.