When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Submariner Bezel - How to remove

redwatch

"It has SN F520117. So my guess is that the bezel insert was modified to fit this case. The insert came off as I was doing the razor blade trick (still haven't gotten the bezel off - at work and actually have to get some things done today). Anyways, the insert looks like it was glued on which I am assuming is not correct? "

F520117...

I have a couple of those.

To remove the bezel insert, remove the movement, push the crystal out with your fingers, and remove the insert with a sharpened piece of plastic, wood, or fingernails...takes about 10 minutes.

Clean the glue off the bezel and insert, apply some epoxy etc, center the bezel so it clicks on 12 high and glue it on the bezel with the pearl dot stuck in the insert.

After the glue dries, replace the movement, blow the dust off the dial, line up the magnifier, and press the crystal in the gasket.

If you give up on it...I need a crystal for the F520117. ;)

If you are only trying to change a pesky pearl here is another tip/trick:

Hot Glue a Tooth Pick -or- Epoxy/Superglue a finishing nail to the Pearl. When the glue or epoxy dries, pull up on the toothpick or nail and Viola!

Be careful not to use too much that could spill over making matters worse.

HTH

I posted this over on the Omega forum, but check out the rubber bezel remover at Ofrei

bezel remover

I has worked wonders on my stubborn SMP Chrono, I would have to imagine it would work for your Sub as well.

I was looking at the AF Rubber Bezel Remover last night actually. You have had success with this one?

The razor blade trick hasn't panned out too well as of yet. The bezel is so tight that I am only able to get the first round of four blades in. Then when I start onto the next round, I can get one more in. Once I try the 6th blade, the 5th one pops out. Very frustrating. Haven't given up yet. Will have another go at it today :D

@offshore. I totally agree. The amount of help from people coming together in this community is awe inspiring. That is why I joined. That is why I became a supporter. And that is why I will be here for a long long time!!

I was looking at the AF Rubber Bezel Remover last night actually. You have had success with this one?

The razor blade trick hasn't panned out too well as of yet. The bezel is so tight that I am only able to get the first round of four blades in. Then when I start onto the next round, I can get one more in. Once I try the 6th blade, the 5th one pops out. Very frustrating. Haven't given up yet. Will have another go at it today :D

@offshore. I totally agree. The amount of help from people coming together in this community is awe inspiring. That is why I joined. That is why I became a supporter. And that is why I will be here for a long long time!!

If it's popping out, on the 6th blade put it next to the 5th instead of the across from it. That might work. sometimes they do pop out like that. Just takes some playing with them to stay put. Sorry ou are having difficulties.

I posted this over on the Omega forum, but check out the rubber bezel remover at Ofrei

bezel remover

I has worked wonders on my stubborn SMP Chrono, I would have to imagine it would work for your Sub as well.

I tried that out on a Sub, a UPO, and a 42mm PO and it didn't do a thing for me. Sent it back the next day.

Ok, so some hammering and "expert" vise work, I managed to flatten the bezel again. So, like a dumb ass I put it back on the casing to make sure that it worked. It works beautifully! Only problem.....now it's back on the case without the insert! Oops!

So my options are:

1. Attempt to pop the bezel off again (and most likely bend it)

2. Leave the bezel on and try to attach the insert with the bezel in place. (I have tried pushing it in place, but I don't want to force it too much - any suggestions?)

3. Buy a good bezel removal tool and wait the week it will take to get here.

4. Wait for a much better option to present itself by all the wonderful forum members who will scramble to my posting to make suggestions for me!!

I like option 4 the best. Any takers?

Now is the perfect time to install your insert.

Shouldn't be an issue just be careful to not get any epoxy/glue under the bezel.

If it is a Gen insert, you will need to do a little shaving on the backside(so it sits recessed) and around the edge so it seats within the bezel.......Good luck.

Now is the perfect time to install your insert.

Shouldn't be an issue just be careful to not get any epoxy/glue under the bezel.

If it is a Gen insert, you will need to do a little shaving on the backside(so it sits recessed) and around the edge so it seats within the bezel.......Good luck.

This is the original insert that I originally removed. (Well actually, it popped off while I was trying to remove the bezel.)

If the person I purchased this from is correct, it is supposed to be a gen insert. Not sure if it was modded to install in the first place, but there isn't any paint on the underneath side of the insert.

It seems as thought the insert was originally just press fit in.

I mentioned that when you first got this watch that it was mine originally.

I modded it and installed the Gen insert. You have to center it in position, work around the edges with your thumb and when it is all in except the final edge, you need to roll that along a wooden desktop or something similar that won't scratch it and it will seat in place.

If you want to ship it to me, I would be glad to install it for you.

I mentioned that when you first got this watch that it was mine originally.

I modded it and installed the Gen insert. You have to center it in position, work around the edges with your thumb and when it is all in except the final edge, you need to roll that along a wooden desktop or something similar that won't scratch it and it will seat in place.

If you want to ship it to me, I would be glad to install it for you.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I knew you were the owner previously but I didn't realize you were the one that modded it! I will try that out. And if not, I will take you up on your more than generous offer!

Thanks!

• 3 years later...

holy christ, I wish I saw this thread earlier.

I finally got my noob bezel off after much scratching and cursing. I ended up using a god damned CHISEL, no joke... put it at 7 o'clock, tapped it a bit with a mallet to get it in there good, and then twisted a bit to pop it off.

All this to replace an insert that doesn't even fit properly ... it's thinner that the one that was in there, so it sits lower, leaving a raised edge on the stainless steel portion. On top of all that I cracked the original ceramic insert while removing its pearl... tonight is not my night.

I'll have to order a replacement, buff out my scratches... this is the first night of the project from hell.

TL;DR:

here's how you remove a noob bezel: YOU DON'T. whatever reason you may think you have is garbage.