When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How tight do you wear your watch band?

Packard

How tight do you wear your watchband? I wear mine fairly loose--just tight enough that the watch will remain at the top of my wrist and not twist over to the bottom.

So I was a little surprised that my new Datejust with a leather band required that I use the loosest position (I would want one looser if it were available), whereas with all my other watches I am using one of the middle holes in the leather band.

So how loose for:

1. Leather bands

2. Metal bracelets

With a metal bracelet, I can run my finger between the bracelet and my wrist. I can force my watch to twist under my wrist, but it would not do so by itself. I tend to wear leather and rubber straps at the same size. The only strap I wear tighter, is a NATO strap :)

I too wear them both loose... I dislike the sticky, tight feeling on my arm. I like the watch to roam fairly free. On leather straps I will choose the hole slightly tight for my liking to allow for a bit of stretch. That way I don't have 2 distorted holes or buckle wear marks. Ditto Tee on the Nato though...

For me, it depends on the thickness of the watch. I usually wear thinner watches, or watches with a thinner profile a little more loosely. But if it's a bulkhead sitting on my wrist, I need to have it a little more snug. If it's a nice leather strap, then I need to have it feel fairly snug, but if it's metal, I like one finger for breathing room. I used to wear my watch super loose, and then I had an accident. Never again.

Thanks for the answers guys. There does not seem to be any concensus.

But here is a secondary question. My wrists are "medium" with most leather watchbands (middle holes) but with the Rolex leather band (and clasp) I have to use the largest size available. What do guys with big wrists do?

A watch should fit you like a good suit. Form-fitting yet comfortable. No unwanted movement. No unsightly lines or bulges (like jchurch....seriously, your hand looks swollen and blue....not a good look). Metal bracelets in summer, like lightweight/linen suits, need a hint of give - the comfort half-link extension of the 116710 bracelet for instance is genius. Too loose I always think looks effeminate. That cringeworthy Rolex 'rattle' also springs to mind.

Only other thing to consider is the old ulnar styloid process (aka the bony protuberance on the lateral aspect of where your hand meets your wrist) - on some people it's huge so they wear their watch usually above it where it tends to be looser for comfort's sake. Me, personally I don't have a visible SP, we're talking flush at the joint - maybe I should be a watch/hand model like Duchovny's character in Zoolander? :D

A watch should fit you like a good suit. Too loose I always think looks effeminate. That cringeworthy Rolex 'rattle' also springs to mind.

Form-fitting yet comfortable. No unwanted movement. No unsightly lines or bulges (like jchurch....seriously, your hand looks swollen and blue....not a good look). Metal bracelets in summer, like lightweight/linen suits, need a hint of give - the comfort half-link extension of the 116710 bracelet for instance is genius.

Only other thing to consider is the old ulnar styloid process (aka the bony protuberance on the lateral aspect of where your hand meets your wrist) - on some people it's huge so they wear their watch usually above it where it tends to be looser for comfort's sake. Me, personally I don't have a visible SP, we're talking flush at the joint - maybe I should be a watch/hand model like Duchovny's character in Zoolander? :D

I pop watchband pins like crazy. If the band is tight, then the action of my wrist pops it. If it is loose I get it caught on something and pop it.

I have a M & Co. watch and a Skagen watch and they both require special pins that have to be ordered. Right now my M & Co. watch ("Quitting time watch") is without the pin.

Yea i want them tight as well, but then again i dont want the crown to scratch on the top of my hand. So i let them sit so that it can travel maybe 20mm on the arm (up and down). SS must be tight on the wrist though, otherwise we just look like mobile homes salesmen ;)

This is why God made the Doxa Beads of Rice band. It has a micro adjustment AND two spring loaded end pieces (next to the "beads" in this picture) so it can be snug and still expand as you go about your day.

a4.jpg

Perfect. :tu: