When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Forum upgrade starting sunday

Admin

Well, I am back from my vacation and I am getting ready to go through with a major upgrade of the forum software, as promised a couple of weeks ago.

So, starting Sunday, when I get out of bed and have finished my breakfast, the forum will be taken offline. To be honest, I have no idea how long the upgrade will take, because there is a shitload of work to do. I previously posted that it would take 24-48 hours and I still hope this is the case and it should certainly not take any longer. I am hoping for 24 hours or less, but do not be surprised if it takes longer. As usual, I will put up a status page where you can follow the progress. On this same page, you will be able to log on to several chat-rooms and hang out with other members waiting ;)

Now, let me just tell you all straight away that because of this upgrade, many features will disappear. This is of course unfortunate, but for now there is nothing I can do about this. I will of course store all the data for these features in case some of them are upgraded and made compatible with the latest forum upgrade. Fortunately, the new forum software contains many new and very nice features and some of these will replace current features.

That's about it for now. I'll get back to you with more details if possible. If not, you will automatically be redirected to the status page, starting this Sunday, and I will post any important info there + keep you up to date on how things are coming along.

He said after he finishes breakfast, thats a good 10 to 15 minutes wasted right there. :disgust:

Kidding :D

It's a bloody lot of work and we should all be very thankful we have an Admin that continues to look after us like this. :)

Ken

Huge amount of work!! Good luck man and thank you for giving us a nice clean playground to play in everyday!! (when we really should be working most of us!! :p )

Does this mean we get an RWG playpen in with the Geeks then!?!? lol

Sixx :bones:

As I said above; you'll have a chance to chat with fellow RWG'ers while you wait ;)

...And i certainly hope those chat rooms won't crash..given the number of us on here! :lol: just kidding...

Thank you T, for taking care of us, as always... can't for em new features! :D

Good luck. Will the upgrades include an iPhone skin? :)

Unfortunately, that is not on the to-do list for tomorrow. I'll go ahead and add it to the wish list.

I don't mind losing the shoutbox, but any chance of the 'quick reply' icons, like "I agree"/"I disagree"? They were great for commenting on posts :)

It doesn't look like that exact feature will ever return. The guy who made the modification is no longer upgrading it and I haven't seen anybody else express an interest in taking over his idea and upgrade it to the current code base.

Off to bed now. I have a suspicion that tomorrow will be a long day....

• 4 years later...