When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A watch for extreme sports and backpacking through 3rd world countries?

metaljesus

Hi guys, I'm wondering if some of you folks might like to give me your opinions on a watch to wear for things like downhill biking, rock climbing, etc. I'm thinking something in PVD with a nylon strap that can take some rough treatment. Am I expecting a little too much out of a rep for this? Would going with a cheap gen quartz make more sense?

Additionally I do quite a bit of travel in poor countries and would like to use the same watch for this purpose. I'm currently planning trips from Edinburgh to Cairo overland (across top of Africa) and from Shanghai to Pakistan following the coastline through SE Asia and the sub continent (6+ months trip). In a lot of these places I will definitely not want to be wearing a Rollie/Breitling/Tag or anything identifiable as being valuable (even if its a rep). The only problem is I cant completely throw away my sense of style and love of mechanical watches ...

So, I'm thinking about a Bell and Ross 03-92. I dont think this screams "This westerner is wearing a

Yeah for some reason I've never been a fan of those Seiko's. I like chunky looking watches but they still need some refinement. Those kinda look like a kid's toy :(

Something like this might be okay:

51zrNBDCGFL._SS500_.jpg

Could anybody offer some advice as to the actual water resistance of that Bell and Ross? I dont have any experience with the quality of reps in that area. Should I feel confident going for a swim with it on?

Edited by metaljesus

If you are looking for something that can take a beating there is no other way to go. Casio G-Shock or a Suunto, for wilderness the Suunto Vector would be great with the compass and altimeter built in.

For rough use you shouldn't have to look any further than what the guys in theater are wearing. If it can handle a war zone it should suffice in non hostile enviroments. To be perfectly honest a Gen B&R, Breitling, Omega, ect..ect.. can not hold a candle to the G Shocks or Suuntos when it comes to hard use. Moreover I would never expect a rep of one to even come close. I think I spent $65.00 for my G Shock 6 years ago and it is still going strong, a few scars that add character, but it has been through some pretty rough $hit and it just keeps asking for more.

Guest avitt

If you're really planning on seeing some challenging environments, then I'd suggest a Citizen Eco Drive, or Casio G-Shock...Something with more go than show.

I guess I realised all along it might come down to those kind of options, i just didnt want to admit it to myself. :)

I only got into watches about a year ago and the big relevation that causes it was that they didnt all have to look like G Shocks and T Touch's... So it makes seriously considering buying one of those chucky plasticy digital and quartz jobs very hard for me. :) Maybe I'll just buy the Bell & Ross and replace it everytime i smash it. Atleast if i get an ETA version I can have the movement repaired. :)

Will post and let you guys know if someone cuts my arm off for it ...

Here are my thoughts. If you spend your money on a rep for extreme activities you are basicly asking for trouble. Kind of like the guys asking about bringing a rep out diving then get mad when they were supposed to have 5 more min in their tank only to realize the tank if empty.

If you are going into 3rd world countries what are you going to do if your rep breaks? Even with an ETA inside of it what are the chances of finding a watchsmith with both the parts and skills to fix it? So unless you bring a few reps to swap out as they break you will be there wishing you bought a clunky piece of plastic. Trust me I have been there and done that...nothing and I mean nothing beats a G Shock when it comes to taking abuse. For $150 you can get a rep that might give up the ghost in a few weeks or you could get a Casio that your great, great, great grandchild could be wearing that same $150.00 G Shock 100 years from now.

Here are my thoughts. If you spend your money on a rep for extreme activities you are basicly asking for trouble. Kind of like the guys asking about bringing a rep out diving then get mad when they were supposed to have 5 more min in their tank only to realize the tank if empty.

If you are going into 3rd world countries what are you going to do if your rep breaks? Even with an ETA inside of it what are the chances of finding a watchsmith with both the parts and skills to fix it? So unless you bring a few reps to swap out as they break you will be there wishing you bought a clunky piece of plastic. Trust me I have been there and done that...nothing and I mean nothing beats a G Shock when it comes to taking abuse. For $150 you can get a rep that might give up the ghost in a few weeks or you could get a Casio that your great, great, great grandchild could be wearing that same $150.00 G Shock 100 years from now.

Great post, Agree 100%. I'd go with a Tissot T Tracx or T Race myself. I'd stick to a quartz for what your wanting to do.

Yeah obviously im not going to be looking for ETA parts in a small indian village... but if it dies I can always repair when I get home.

Thanks for that tip jdkno, i acutally kinda like the look of the white version and at $200 the price is very agreeable.

100666KHAKI0000.jpg

Edited by metaljesus

Yeah obviously im not going to be looking for ETA parts in a small indian village... but if it dies I can always repair when I get home.

Thanks for that tip jdkno, i acutally kinda like the look of the white version and at $200 the price is very agreeable.

100666KHAKI0000.jpg

One thing I have heard about the Vector, is that there can be issues of the battery life, and have seen a review online, where some of the functions were criticized as unreliable... Sorry I can't contribute any other suggestions, but I just wanted to let you know what I'd heard about the Vector :) (even if it was a one-off occurence, if you're going to be in 3rd world situations, you want something which you have absolutely zero concerns about... Best of luck with your search :good:

I used to do quite a bit of "Adventure Travel". You really are asking two questions-- Sports/Active and Poor/3rd World.

First, understand if you will be in 3rd countries, you probably don't want anything shiny, or of significant value. Although I love Tissot, and Seiko as good choices, I would still reserve those for 2nd World and higher. Even a Sunnto is too BIG and draws a lot of attention. NO GOLD, even faux plating.

That said, your best bet, I hate to say, is Casio G, Timex Expedition, "Basic" Swiss Army/Military, or maybe something Russian.

Again, if you are talking real 3rd world, keep it low key. There are some areas where tourists on bus trips or in cars will have watches yanked off their wrists while your arm is perched on window ledge whilst stopped in traffic.

You may also be faced with a barter situation. So go to Costco and pick up a couple of Casio's and have a few extras in your pack.

Also, have 2 Wallets! A faux realistic looking wallet with and old expired ID, and expired Credit Cards, plus cash for all in the open cash transactions, and keep your real stuff squirreled away. Most "bad people" will take the faux and go. They may get some cash, and by the time they notice the Credit Cards are useless, you should be long gone.

Second, for Sports and Active stuff, non-3rd world. Good advice above. Sunnto, T-Touch, Seiko. I would however put Tissot on the more fragile side (read some reviews).

One thing I have heard about the Vector, is that there can be issues of the battery life, and have seen a review online, where some of the functions were criticized as unreliable... Sorry I can't contribute any other suggestions, but I just wanted to let you know what I'd heard about the Vector :) (even if it was a one-off occurence, if you're going to be in 3rd world situations, you want something which you have absolutely zero concerns about... Best of luck with your search :good:

I was not aware of the problems with the Vector, a friend of mine had one through 4 operational deployments and never complained of any of thoes issues.

You could always go to a G-Shock Pathfinder which has the compass and is solar powered meaning no batteries to worry about.

I was not aware of the problems with the Vector, a friend of mine had one through 4 operational deployments and never complained of any of thoes issues.

You could always go to a G-Shock Pathfinder which has the compass and is solar powered meaning no batteries to worry about.

I have to admit, those were the only negative reviews I read, but I thought it only prudent to make mention, given the potential conditions the watch will have to endure :)

I think you'd definately want a cheap, but good, gen. Victorinox and Wenger both do uber cheap "field watches" which should be a consideration if you want to retain a little style.

But I agree with the others here, Casio G-shock. They're nearly impossible to kill, cheap, reliable and extremely accurate. The G-shock section over at watchuseek is an interesting read and they'll have you believing they're a thing of beauty in their own right (albeit when seen from a very different perspective to Swiss mech).

My other choice would be to go a Swatch; not a gaudy rainbow design but a nice, plain steel. Pretty sure you can get some in auto.

Have fun!

Lots of good advice in there. 2 different watches may be necessary but I guess I was hopeing one would do for both as the principal characteristic is they need to be tough.

Anyone ever seen a square-ish PVD or power coated digital on a nylon / nato strap?

It doesn't get much more extreme, or 3rd world, than this. Rolex Explorer I. And if the places you're going are really remote, like this, there are no street thugs to take it from you.

image.axd?picture=2009%2F6%2Fedmund-hillary.jpg