When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Perception - something to think about

trailboss

Perception - something to think about.

1.jpg

Washington, DC Metro Station on a cold January morning in 2007. The man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time approx. 2 thousand people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. After 3 minutes a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried to meet his schedule.

4 minutes later: the violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.

6 minutes: A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.

10 minutes: A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. Every parent, without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.

45 minutes: The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.

1 hour: He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities. The questions raised: in a common place environment at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made....

How many other things are we missing?

Col.

Hey Col., .......my same reply from 1.1

"

Perception is clouded by circumstance.

We only see what we're prepared for and expecting.

Oh how true! Still waters run deep, the shallows run fast. People sometimes don't get the choice to choose the speed of their currents and slow down, therefore purposely must miss out on some of life's pleasures for the way they've stacked the priorities. Yeah, life's a journey, not a destination; so the importance in time of getting from point A to point B is ruled by circumstance sometimes rather than personal preference. Had the musician been plopped down in a tourist spot, say like something you could relate to Col., the Sidney Circular Quay, I think the results would be different. Although it is still a busy metro transportation hub full of commuters, it is also a place full of a lot of visitors that are there just taking in the sights and have the time to slowly stop and smell the roses. Bell probably would not have been ignored then as a street musician and drawn a crowd.

Yes, I know, I've only just expounded on what Greg simply distilled smartly in two sentences. My apologies, its a sign of aging for some, literally turning into a gas bag at both ends. :yawn:

It is a great story nevertheless Col., got me thinking, thanks."

Really got me thinking too! Has anyone heard of more examples like this one?

It's a discussion that's been going on since the 19th century about the nature of art. A pile of bricks on a building site is a pile of bricks. A pile of bricks in an art gallery is art.

http://www.tate.org.uk/archivejourneys/historyhtml/people_public.htm

http://www.tommyuk.dk/writing/hypeart/gallery2.htm

If you're walking through the Subway, you're simply not in the frame of mind to appreciate the best violinist in the world. You're, by definition, on your way somewhere, and if someone tried to stop you to give you money, you'd probably ignore them and walk on.

Would you rather see him perform in the acoustic perfection of a music hall, knowing everyone around you is going to STFU and appreciate it, or would you rather be made late for work and put up with the acoustics of a subway and the pitter-patter of the clodhoppers of your fellow commuters? If you want to hear him, you're going to pay $100.

If you're walking through the Subway, you're simply not in the frame of mind to appreciate the best violinist in the world. You're, by definition, on your way somewhere, and if someone tried to stop you to give you money, you'd probably ignore them and walk on.

Exactly. A metro station isnt exactly the kind of place people tend to willingly stay for longer than necessary... Most just mechanically pass thru and go on with their errands..

And of course, very few will even recognize what he is playing, the level of his play and much less his name. I know I wouldn't (I will probably stop to listen tho :) )

But the children who's social perceptions are still being formed took notice, they heard it for what it was!

10 minutes: A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. Every parent, without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

Sidewalk/Subway Art!!!!!

I was recently on Michigan Ave. in Chicago,

There were quite a few musicians on the street... but only ONE made me stop and listen.

Pretty much you only care for what appeals to you, good or bad.

What appealed to me that day was a young guy with an acoustic guitar who ripped it.

I have recently discovered a NEW resource. It ENHANCES perception as well as appreciation.

Association.

It is a revelation. Brilliant.

Go to YOU TUBE.

Search..... JK Wedding

5:03 min Video

Watch it.

Joyus....

but what is cool is the music....

A connection I would have NEVER made.

This young artist rocks.

Listen.

Try it...you will like it.

Years ago I worked in Seattle and the ever delectable Ms. Nanuq brought the kids to town one evening to meet me after work. It was Christmastime and it was gorgeous out, with twinkly lights everywhere. We were walking down to the ferry for the ride home and I heard an echo of a French horn on the bricks. I stopped to try to figure out where the sound was coming from. The kids joined me and we started walking alleys and going around corners looking for the source. Suddenly we found them, 3 guys with a French horn, a baritone and a trombone. They were playing the dance of the sugar plum fairies and I just stood there smiling with my mouth hanging open. The kids were enthralled... The guys were amazing. We stood there in the falling snow listening and cheering madly after every song, having as much fun as the musicians. I don't think anyone else stopped, and it was their loss! I found out later the Canadian Brass were in town for a Christmas concert and that was 3 of them just out for fun in the snow. It made a big impact on my kids, which lasts to this day; they both love classical music. And it's all in thanks to those 3 gentleman.

Thanks lads! :tu:

Years ago I worked in Seattle and the ever delectable Ms. Nanuq brought the kids to town one evening to meet me after work. It was Christmastime and it was gorgeous out, with twinkly lights everywhere. We were walking down to the ferry for the ride home and I heard an echo of a French horn on the bricks. I stopped to try to figure out where the sound was coming from. The kids joined me and we started walking alleys and going around corners looking for the source. Suddenly we found them, 3 guys with a French horn, a baritone and a trombone. They were playing the dance of the sugar plum fairies and I just stood there smiling with my mouth hanging open. The kids were enthralled... The guys were amazing. We stood there in the falling snow listening and cheering madly after every song, having as much fun as the musicians. I don't think anyone else stopped, and it was their loss! I found out later the Canadian Brass were in town for a Christmas concert and that was 3 of them just out for fun in the snow. It made a big impact on my kids, which lasts to this day; they both love classical music. And it's all in thanks to those 3 gentleman.

Thanks lads! :tu:

Great story! Classical music on the street will always perk my ears and peak my interest before contemporary anyday, and that is still from an aged musician's standpoint from the hippy-dippy era. Its so like being carried back to another era in realtime where it WAS played in the streets, but now is rare. My only real experience where this happens all the time is in Vienna, Austria, its still there. Its all music, but classical is always, classic. Too bad my youngest son is so far, of the headphone computer generated electronica zombie drone persuasion. I envy that you can share that with your progeny. "Roll over Beethoven". :victory:

• 3 weeks later...

An amazing story and great thread. It reminds us to not judge a book by its cover so to speak. Im a big classical music fan. I would have stopped for sure. BUT I have no job right now, along with millions of others in this country, so I have nowhere to really BE anyway.

That being said, most people are so wrapped up in their lives they do not notice anything but themselves and their own immediate problems at hand. Most people probably thought he was a skid row bum. Most people who are playing street music are homeless or hard on their luck in life. Sad as it is, perception IS reality. For better or worse. If I walk in a place wearing my Canali suit and any one of my reps, no one would think it wasnt a gen. If I wore my Gen and my ratty clothes I clean the house and car in, everyone would assume its a fake. Perception is reality....