When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gentlemans Footwear

chronology1066

Wow, so many man boots in one thread! :lol:

I've a variety of dress shoes but inevitably come back to the few pairs of Allen-Edmonds in the closet - the Soho (black), Weybridge (chili burnished calf - gorgeous!), and Hinsdale (black). (Edit: Oops forgot the Evanston (Walnut calf)) Simple, classy, comfortable, and extremely well made.

All purchased at a 50%+ discount from retail prices found at places like Zappos.

I gravitate towards chukka boots for some reason, some current favorites of mine are these two:

Rubber sole Cole Haan Suede -the Nike Air technology really do make a difference in the comfort

DSC_1581.jpg

Charles Tyrwhitt Desert Boots with the lighter rubber, not gum soles

DSC_1582.jpg

I've a variety of dress shoes but inevitably come back to the few pairs of Allen-Edmonds in the closet - the Soho (black), Weybridge (chili burnished calf - gorgeous!), and Hinsdale (black). (Edit: Oops forgot the Evanston (Walnut calf)) Simple, classy, comfortable, and extremely well made.

All purchased at a 50%+ discount from retail prices found at places like Zappos.

Set a saved search on the Bay for your Allen Edmonds size and you will probably be able to pick up a pair of lightly used, but great condition shoes for $25-$50. Most of these I can wear for a year or two without any repair. If you are really picky about having 'new' shoes AE offers a top to bottom recrafting service for $95 and you can immediately send them off to Wisconsin to be remade (the restoration is about 98% imho--inner leather shoe lining is tough to fix without deconstructing and rebuilding the entire shoe). With a little effort and good timing you have brand new, $350 shoes for $125.

For me, AE is the only 'old world', able to be cobbled, type of shoe that can be stylish and classic at the same time. I value their salespeople too, they know what they are talking about, whether its your feet, or their shoes.

Hi All

Since it seems there are a pretty good number of tasteful types on here with a large serving of sartorial awareness, I thought we might exchange a little chit chat regarding one of the true marks of a gentleman. Just to get the ball rolling here is a little highlights list of my favorites currently in my rack

Crockett and Jones -

Pembroke in Brown Grain - My utter favorites, had then a couple of years and after one afternoon of wearing them they were as if I had been wearing them for years. A beautiful leather and very practical with the dainite soles

Pics to follow

Church - Custom made since I an not a great fan of leather soles on ankle boots, I had these made up with the dainite soles, superb, and look great with either jeans or a suit (casual only of course)

boots1.jpg

Barker - Several Pairs but my favorites are a pair of whole cut oxblood with punched toe. With alternating oxblood and black polish they has taken a beautiful patina

Alfred Sergeant - One pair of honey beige whole cuts, look sensation with a linen/silk mix suit.

Steymar - One pair but my favorite summer shoe, I am no great fan of sandal as a rule but these with the punched leather are wonderful in the summer month and with a brown croc print look smooth as you like suit or jeans.

Utility Boots - Adidas GSG9 High leg, in case I ever need to inverse rappel down a building at night. Harder than nail and also keep my tootsies warm and dry.

Slipper - Yes, I do in the colder month which can be many in the UK. Church Hermes in Burgundy

So, how about it people.... what do you have that stop your legs from fraying?

Chelsea boots look good anytime. I have four paair Donald Pliner, Gordon Rush and Testoni

Hi there!

Please excuse me I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and taset, but yesterday I bought my new favourites, a pair of Puma Ducati shoes.

It isn't a casual boot, but it just look's like as if I would wear biker boots. (i mean superbike boots, not the chopper-western ones).

They cost me almost 200$ (in my country) and been thinking of get them for almost a month.

Now I hope I won't regret, and won't look like as a clown in them. So far so good with jeans.

post-22173-125326611985_thumb.jpg

post-22173-125326618574_thumb.jpg

not me personally, but i'd say my feet have slightly higher arches. These are my first pair too. I wear these and just normal adidas walking shoes. I find these boots in particular very comfortable in fact, and the leather is very soft. The soles are a little slippery at first, should get them cobbeled with rubber which also protects the wear through. But it's nice not seeing any one else around here wearing the same style as you.

Besides, my wife seems to think I have enough shoes already...... :D

p1000339w.jpg

You can never have too many climbing shoes. Are those 5.10 Anasazi's? I could never fit them. I'm a Sportiva guy for the most part...but have been climbing in some Montrails at the gym mostly.

I've got at least 6 pairs of climbing shoes...not sure really...and 3 pairs of carbon fiber cycling shoes.

Mmmmmmmmm shoes.

I grew up in the village that Barker are made in (and also the original Kinky Boot Factory/Brooks, Dr Martins/Whites and others) so guess what make i usually buy? ;)

If you want smart proper mens shoes then they have to be made in Northamptonshire, England.

The very best are John Lobb and Edward Green. I didn't pay for them myself but my John Lobbs retail at over $5000, that's the quality level they're at and level of bespoke they produce.

Barker, Churchs, Crocket and Jones, Trickers are all good base level makes that will last you a good long time though.

I think i have over 30 pairs at the moment.

Edited by TheBluePrince

You can never have too many climbing shoes. Are those 5.10 Anasazi's? I could never fit them. I'm a Sportiva guy for the most part...but have been climbing in some Montrails at the gym mostly.

I've got at least 6 pairs of climbing shoes...not sure really...and 3 pairs of carbon fiber cycling shoes.

Good eyes!

Yep, Anasazi velcro's, (2nd pair, but I've had about 3 pairs of the lace ups, which are better for longer routes), and an old pair of UFO's - I only boulder these days, so don't wear shoes out as fast as I used to outdoors ;)

Over the years I've tried pretty much all the different brands, but 5.10's just fit me so well, and the grip from the Stealth rubber has never let me down.

@BluePrince

Totally agree, winter is coming, time for me to arrange a little trip to the factory shops in order to keep my feet happy, warm and stylish for the onset of the Great British winter.

Particularly fond of Crockett and JOnes of late the dainite sole range are perfect and fit sooo nice (I live in Yorkshire these days so nice to do the landed gentry guv'na)

+1

I love Allen-Edmonds...they are classic, comfortable and just make the man. I recently picked up their Wilberts...very, very comfortable from Zappos. But no 50% off for me...

chieftang..where u getting 50% off on AE?

cheers

zappos is a rip off for international customers. not only is their msrp over priced but their shipping is ridiculous AND they automatically send it to a brokerage house. I bought the EXACT same boots they had on zappos that would of cost me $165 delivered for $65 from the amazing shoe store, an ebay dealer with a small paypal store. no brokerage fees or customs EXACT same model.

• 5 weeks later...

on the cowboy boots. Larry Mahan made an exceptianal boot. The name is now owned by Nocona boots and are pretty much an exclusive made for Cavenders boots. here on the web. On printed exotics, they will eventually wear and will look like fake boots, not a great look. Lucchese is still one of the best in the world for a premade or factory line boot. Remember footwear is the one piece of clothing than can actually effect your health. Always buy as good a quality shoe, boot as you can afford. Just my .02

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late to this thread but I wear Loake's shoes. These are my shoes for when it's not raining....leather soles

205B.jpg

When it is raining I wear these, which have had the leather soles replaced with rubber ones

290B.jpg

Loakes are at the cheaper end of the Handmade English shoe brigade and go from £90 to I guess £175 retail. The cheaper ones like the shoe above whilst still being handmade actually come from India, however they still are a fantastic shoe and if you know where to look just like Church's thy can be had for half price ;)

Edited by DarkGlass

Mmmmmmmmm shoes.

I grew up in the village that Barker are made in (and also the original Kinky Boot Factory/Brooks, Dr Martins/Whites and others) so guess what make i usually buy? ;)

If you want smart proper mens shoes then they have to be made in Northamptonshire, England.

The very best are John Lobb and Edward Green. I didn't pay for them myself but my John Lobbs retail at over $5000, that's the quality level they're at and level of bespoke they produce.

Barker, Churchs, Crocket and Jones, Trickers are all good base level makes that will last you a good long time though.

I think i have over 30 pairs at the moment.

I'm sorry, what? $5k for shoes?? :bangin:

Sorry for the Quality of the Pictures... took with my iPhone

My everyday shoes because Snow there.... and always love Timberland! I have maybe 3 or 4 differents boots

img0287vjm.jpg

My AllStar full Leather... Love it and very comfortable !!!

img0290nx.jpg

And my SOREL CARIBOU for Work

img0293.jpg

My Kappa Leather... good shoes

img0292rb.jpg

I have few another shoes but not at home... in the garage because I don't wear them a lot... I have Weston Boots that I like some much too but too cold to wear them