When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Low Post count

lanikai

I recently purchased a strap in the sales section/straps subforum. I sent a pm to seller and posted "pm sent" in thread.

For THREE days that post was the most recent post in that forum. It was DEAD.

I came close to re-upping my Platinum membership after it expired, I need to sell some watches. But there is so little traffic it is not worth it. And I made donations to this forum, then a monthly membership, AND some pay-in "support the forum" raffles, I have given money, so for me the issue now is do I want to pay MORE just to be able to post a sales thread? And the answer is no, the traffic in the sales forum is definitely not worth what you have to pay to have access to it.

As to why it is so dead, I don't know. I don't like some of the changes, I used to have "trader" stats, feedback that is, that's gone now. How can I even know who I am dealing with? But for the most part, it seems to be a lack of tolerance for banter. This is the A-list site and everything is top-shelf, no fooling around. I made a mistake once, paid the price, came back, promptly got smacked down again on a silly pretext. Even RG is friendlier than this place lately. And that wasn't always true. This isn't sour grapes, I am not the only one to have made this observation. So if you ask me, that might have something to do with it.

Not that anyone is going to care what I think. :lol:

• Like 1

Well it's no secret I do not like the new forum, I much prefer the old one :(

The "new post" option does not seem to work as well, the two different options either leave me with no posts, or loads of posts, while still managing to miss some too! Lots of old threads and pictures are missing, and the search feature does not work as well. Plus my 36 100% positive feedback is totally gone. The general layout and feature set is not as intuitive, and or overly complex :(

Add these facts to the worldwide economic problems, the lack of decent new rep releases to discuss, and a slow down is inevitable.....

When a member like "hava" posts an excellent write up of DSN's 028

and nobody replies to it for over a day, you know something is clearly wrong. In fact the search feature to find "my posts" did not find it, proving that there is something clearly wrong with the software....

I hope it gets fixed, but for me this place is just not the same any more.....

I would agree that part of the problem was the change in format. this is a very instant gratification type

thing and if people see 'server error' or something they get turned off after a few tries. it seems that change is not handled too well around these parts. RWG1 has never really recovered to the membership and post counts they had before they went down last winter.

Personally, i have more or less stopped collecting watches @ about 57. it's reached the point where i can't even wear them unless i change 2-3 times a day. I just don't have the heart to sell them either- i end up giving some away to friends and family.

Dear Lani:

I haven't post since 17th Aug......why?

1.) the new upgrade just clear all my trade-history which I hardly build it up by all these years. I'm very angry with that.

2.) the pointless reputation system made me avoid to post or I'll get another negative reputation in my profile if someone don't agree with my post.I'm not sure how many members clearly understand the reputation system is related to our post not related to our trade history...We should encourage to post more freely, right? But seems it's not right now. I miss the "star-rating" good old time.

3.) There're less & less good or super reps release; I haven't buy any watch 2 month already. So; there're less review than before.

I miss the good old time; my platinum membership will expire on next week. But I'm not sure whether I'll pay for it or not.

Best Regards,

Raymond

I agree Ray.. the rating system for the posts can be misleading and anyway opinions will never be agreed upon by everyone.. nor should they.

hopefully your input will make a difference.. I;m sure when the rating system was implemented it was done with good intentions.. but it takes constructive input like yours to effect change..

I seriously hope you stay a part of this community Ray.. I miss your posting here.. :(

A~C

L

Lani, I think a lot of it has to do with the following two factors;

First, the economic downturn has forced a lot of guys to cut back, or in some cases, stop their purchases of new watches. Its really hard to write or contribute anything new when you don't have anything new to write about.

Second, and I think this is a major issue, is that rep manufacturers have come such a long way in the past few years in providing watches that are really 99% in comparison to the gen. We have become spoiled, and I have seen an attitude form amongst newer members in where they wont even consider a watch that has anything more that the slightest flaw. When I started in this hobby the best watch you could get was probably about 80% in comparison to the gen, and a lot of dialogue was generated in pointing out exactly what the flaws were, and coming up with methods as to how they could be modded. The UPO was a perfect example. I've seen countless threads about substituting genuine parts, all very interesting stuff. The watches today are almost perfect right out of the box. You don't need an expert to point out that the only flaw on a graham diver is that the seconds needle is orange instead of red. The fix to that issue is equally as mundane. When the Skyland was released there were literally dozens of posts from early buyers, and the one or two minor flaws were easily picked out. When I eventually picked up my Skyland, I wrote a very comprehensive review, but I've yet to post it, simply because I've got nothing new to add to what has already been said a thousand times.

It seems to me that we have seen a shift in purpose. From being a site that provided useful information that aided members both before and after a purchase, to being a site that simply aids members in their purchasing decisions.

I have thought about this very issue A. .. and with you as the subject of the issue.. I remember your 40 hr. plus reviews..

very good point !!!

This has been great for the Community gang !!.. Some solid feedback that the Admin Team can use !!

From the vets to the not so vets... keep it coming..

I understand that the Powers that be will be working on upgrading the system this weekend..

So now is the time to shout out,. and "list" the issues that most concern you..

this is your Community !!! What happens now is up to ALL of US ...

L

Well it's no secret I do not like the new forum, I much prefer the old one :(

The "new post" option does not seem to work as well, the two different options either leave me with no posts, or loads of posts, while still managing to miss some too! Lots of old threads and pictures are missing, and the search feature does not work as well. Plus my 36 100% positive feedback is totally gone. The general layout and feature set is not as intuitive, and or overly complex :(

Add these facts to the worldwide economic problems, the lack of decent new rep releases to discuss, and a slow down is inevitable.....

When a member like "hava" posts an excellent write up of DSN's 028

and nobody replies to it for over a day, you know something is clearly wrong. In fact the search feature to find "my posts" did not find it, proving that there is something clearly wrong with the software....

I hope it gets fixed, but for me this place is just not the same any more.....

Mickey... the only way we can make this the best community .. is for you to stay put and work together to make it so.

We need to take a proactive stance ... by walking away we just abandoned everything that we have built and loved.

Remember Admin and the rest of the Admin team have full time jobs. and business' ... if T is going to take the weekend to upgrade the glitches.. then he is sacrificing his time with family .. as he has done countess times before..

the least we can do is show some loyalty and support his "actions"..

I hear your frustration.. it is mine also.. but I will choose to stay and work at keeping this community whole..as will many others..

I hope we can count on you through the tough times too .. B)

A~C

Lani

You can analyze it to assemble some sort hypothesis with regard, and that is always 'fun'; a debate that probably will not go polar, but, I have to agree with Robert; it's just a cycle. All forums go through them. No concertive, intellectual effort will swing the pendulum any faster than it's design will allow.

Septembers, as far back as I can rember, are a drag. 'Oktoberfest'. We need 'Oktoberfest'.

Have post counts changed (dropped, levelled, increased) on the gen forums that people frequent? I don't frequent any one group often enough to be a gauge. I'm curious if it's watches in general, or specific reps or what?

I also occasionally post on a prop-building forum, and that is absolutely dead at the moment.

Well something is working because I just noticed the rating system is gone from this thread!

Isn't it great when you have an Admin Team that really is passionate about the place :)

Demsey Icon

Posted Today, 10:58 AM

You can analyze it to assemble some sort hypothesis with regard, and that is always 'fun'; a debate that probably will not go polar, but, I have to agree with Robert; it's just a cycle. All forums go through them. No concertive, intellectual effort will swing the pendulum any faster than it's design will allow.

Septembers, as far back as I can rember, are a drag. 'Oktoberfest'. We need 'Oktoberfest'.

affirmative Dem.. but this has been going on for most of the Summer.. so a little concern by the rank and file does no harm.. just supporting the work that T and the Admin Team are putting into the new system..

A~C

L

I noticed the low forum contribution as well. It concerns me quite a bit as the Forum has become a second home for me over the course of the last year or so. I feel good here! So if interest in it declines, this is a bad thing. It reminds me of the shock I had, when a few days after joining TRC the place closed down!

Reasons for low contribution? I don't know about the new design or the economic crisis being responsible. If so, it's of no concern to me as I can't change those facts (I know Admin can, at least with forum software. Maybe Lani can fix those darn world economics once he's back to full strength).

What concerns me directly is that I myself can make a difference in posting. So looking at my post score of the last weeks I'd say I haven't been outdoing myself. I need to ask myself: Why is that so?

I have many reasons:

1. I want to post pix of some new watches, start contributing to the wristies threads, but I still don't have a good cam.
  2. I'm still a noob and I don't know too much about reps or watches in general to post really interesting stuff.
  3. I'm sometimes humbled by all the knowledge on the boards, so I rather shut up and learn.
  4. I'm extremely busy at work and feel uncomfortable using my work computer surfing RWG.
  5. My girl isn't too happy with me sitting in front of the notebook every night.

Hmmmm. All reasons are true, but somehow they don't seem to be a good excuse for not posting:

1. Community, even the grumpy seasoned members :) are very appreciative of noobs posting pix, even if they suck big time.
  2. If I don't know much I can ask smart questions. Smart questions are the ones that are still unanswered after a few days of reading, I guess.
  3. Being humbled doesn't drive the community, helps no one and is basically senseless. Admiring yes, not humbled.
  4. I can't be too busy to take a minute or two to pass by and post a funny finding in "Off Topic".
  5. My girl is lovely, but I must get her to understand that a bloke needs to stare into his screen for at least six hours each night to feel at ease with the world.

What I mean to say is, we all (exc. Pugs and TeeJay and some, of course) have to get a grip and start posting again. So in the end it all comes to the point where I realise that I should stop finding excuses and just POST! I will try and do better from now on. Promise.

Kind regards

Val.

What I mean to say is, we all (exc. Pugs and TeeJay and some, of course) have to get a grip and start posting again. So in the end it all comes to the point where I realise that I should stop finding excuses and just POST! I will try and do better from now on. Promise.

Kind regards

Val.

Val .. you of all people .. contribute just as much as anyone here.. we all have lives outside the forum.. family first for those fortunate enough to have them...

this thread was more of a brain stormer to bring out issues constructively and in a manner that could benefit the efficiency and harmony of the community..

Your contributions are greatly appreciated as are all the member old and new that put in valuable time.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

A~C

Lani

this thread was more of a brain stormer to bring out issues constructively and in a manner that could benefit the efficiency and harmony of the community..

Thanks for your kind words, Lani. I didn't think your topic was accusing anybody and it triggered quite the discussion needed here at the moment. But when thinking about reasons why the board was slow I realised I have to start with myself. It's the one thing I can change myself.

Have a good evening there! :)

Val.

Thanks for your kind words, Lani. I didn't think your topic was accusing anybody and it triggered quite the discussion needed here at the moment. But when thinking about reasons why the board was slow I realised I have to start with myself. It's the one thing I can change myself.

Have a good evening there! :)

Val.

This is True !!.. I cannot worry about things that are out of my control...(for a lack of a better word) .. but it's good to hear constructive critique... for the tech stuff..

L

What I mean to say is, we all (exc. Pugs and TeeJay and some, of course) have to get a grip and start posting again.

My output has been drastically diminished in the last 6 months.

Maybe I need to do some more of my amateur hack mods. How about a ham-fisted IWC Portuguese graphite mod post for the equally ham-fisted? Or a how to change a movement when you're as rubber-pawed as me and not break every damned thing?

I noticed the low forum contribution as well. It concerns me quite a bit as the Forum has become a second home for me over the course of the last year or so. I feel good here! So if interest in it declines, this is a bad thing. It reminds me of the shock I had, when a few days after joining TRC the place closed down!

Reasons for low contribution? I don't know about the new design or the economic crisis being responsible. If so, it's of no concern to me as I can't change those facts (I know Admin can, at least with forum software. Maybe Lani can fix those darn world economics once he's back to full strength).

What concerns me directly is that I myself can make a difference in posting. So looking at my post score of the last weeks I'd say I haven't been outdoing myself. I need to ask myself: Why is that so?

I have many reasons:

1. I want to post pix of some new watches, start contributing to the wristies threads, but I still don't have a good cam.
  2. I'm still a noob and I don't know too much about reps or watches in general to post really interesting stuff.
  3. I'm sometimes humbled by all the knowledge on the boards, so I rather shut up and learn.
  4. I'm extremely busy at work and feel uncomfortable using my work computer surfing RWG.
  5. My girl isn't too happy with me sitting in front of the notebook every night.

Hmmmm. All reasons are true, but somehow they don't seem to be a good excuse for not posting:

1. Community, even the grumpy seasoned members :) are very appreciative of noobs posting pix, even if they suck big time.
  2. If I don't know much I can ask smart questions. Smart questions are the ones that are still unanswered after a few days of reading, I guess.
  3. Being humbled doesn't drive the community, helps no one and is basically senseless. Admiring yes, not humbled.
  4. I can't be too busy to take a minute or two to pass by and post a funny finding in "Off Topic".
  5. My girl is lovely, but I must get her to understand that a bloke needs to stare into his screen for at least six hours each night to feel at ease with the world.

Kind regards

Val.

At the moment, I'd say you contribute more than I do :tu:

My output has been drastically diminished in the last 6 months.

Yeah sure. Go ahead. Make us normal posters feel like dimwits. Thanks. <_<:)

How about a ham-fisted IWC Portuguese graphite mod post for the equally ham-fisted?

Is that the trick where you can take the whole movement apart with the help of only a two pound hammer? :bounce:

I'd love that! :)

Val.