When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Low Post count

lanikai

Very easy to make fun of a guy who isn't here to defend himself. That said, I'd wish he'd have givin up dealing several years back and hung around here as a regular member. He was a very intellegent and entertaining guy, and his photography skills were amazing. His gen and rep collections were something to behold as well.

I miss Neil (aka TTK) they say he is in the hospital!? Hope he has recovered and will be allowed to bring back the entertainment once again

Like john said. TTK is no better at taking care of himself than he was with other folk at the end.

A source of endless entertainment tho. Who can forget him calling poor ole' Fakey a water bufflo pussy? :rofl:

The FM vs TTK thread at the old RWG was an all time classic, pity it's drifting somewhere in cyberspace.

I think that for pure tech info this place is lightyears ahead of most but as a result it does tend to be a little dry in it's content. A common remark I have heard is something like "For tech I can't go past RWG2 but for entertainment and just hanging out I go to RWI/1.1/'geeks (insert favorite here)." The wealth of info here is without par tho.

When it comes to the diehard base members I think all the fora tend to atract a different demographic and the one here is proberly just a little more "hard core" than the other fora's. Whether that tends to intimidate newer members and make them reluctent to post or not I don't realy know.

Col.

Very easy to make fun of a guy who isn't here to defend himself. That said, I'd wish he'd have givin up dealing several years back and hung around here as a regular member. He was a very intellegent and entertaining guy, and his photography skills were amazing. His gen and rep collections were something to behold as well.

No worries Neil (=Time To Kill = Evil Eye = The True Kwisatz Haderach) knows how to defend himself.......... :p;)8)^_^:g::nea::brow::shock::black_eye::animal_rooster:

Well, this thread has gone off topic.. Still, it is entertaining. :)

Neil/ TTK.. While he was fair with me, and a source of entertainment, I fully supported the decision to ban him from this board. Wish him all well, though. It brings a smile to my face when I think about the watches he sent to me in Norway was posted from "Ole Bull" in Thailand.. (Ole Bull was a famous Norwegian in the 19th century).

Wonder what happened with another member who is no longer posting, Victoria? Likely the most remarkable female member this board has ever had, at least the nicest nails I have seen here! THE most superposter... Remember the V vs Andr*** bashing, if I remember correctly. :lol:

Well, this thread has gone off topic.. Still, it is entertaining. :)

Neil/ TTK.. While he was fair with me, and a source of entertainment, I fully supported the decision to ban him from this board. Wish him all well, though. It brings a smile to my face when I think about the watches he sent to me in Norway was posted from "Ole Bull" in Thailand.. (Ole Bull was a famous Norwegian in the 19th century).

Wonder what happened with another member who is no longer posting, Victoria? Likely the most remarkable female member this board has ever had, at least the nicest nails I have seen here! THE most superposter... Remember the V vs Andr*** bashing, if I remember correctly. :lol:

Sheesh.. those brawls will live in the annals of RWG lore :pardon:

Although it was rather irritating ... ergo the birth of the term.. "post HO" :yeah:

Again, my point that quantity is not always as important as quality. Victoria, at times very passionate about watches, often strayed from topic and cluttered threads with her personal musings. I think Twitter, where she posts now, is more suited to her than a watch forum.

This has been a more interesting read than expected.

Agree with a lot of it, and I find myself focussing on the human element, the distinct lack of 'characters', both malevolent (e.g. Neil) and benevolent (e.g. Eddie). Others who had a lot to offer but who went off the edge for some reason and were sadly never reached out to (Ryyannon springs to mind). The loons as well, both amusing and not so amusing. Then of course the ridiculous bores, some of whom occasionally crawl back out of the woodwork :whistling: and some of whom have thankfully migrated to pastures new (MyFaceTwitBook), although sadly not without leaving a lot of unnecessary grief in their wake. Maybe my pugnacious Irish blood speaking but I also miss the amusing but petty little feuds, the sly digs and slightly barbed comments, mostly in jest and usually harmless banter. Dems will know what I mean ;) Miss Understood isn't wheeled out anymore by her 'carers' and there are no gimps like FlipLockbuckle and PaneraiFreak active anymore to give us all a good laugh.

But there's a lot of neurotics about these days, say a slightly controversial word, and *bam* you get some jumped up self-righteous muppet on your case and your "reputation" level taking a hit :rolleyes: I also think there's a massive iceberg of noobs who are here for a quick fix and have no interest in participating in any other way. Sign of our times maybe.

Content-wise, I agree about the slowdown both seasonal and economic, but also think there's a lot of 'fun' gone from the content, no more quizzes, guess the macro shot, rare vintage gen or frankens etc. It's all gone very 'commercial' in tone, and I half expect RWG will go the way of the ADHD kids playground (RG) given time. The only improvement I see is some members stepping up to the plate (and then some) when it comes to cosmetic mods and how-to's - Francisco especially deserves an honourable mention. But there's a lack of Off-Topic fun as well... .it's been 3 years now since we ran the Champions League prize pool, an 8-month thread of joy, despair, banter and yes, a little gloating at the end :whistling: The Metrosexual Grooming Corner, however, has been a welcome newcomer, although that too has been a little slow of late.

Ultimately, my enthusiasm for watches has ebbed and flowed, usually in tandem with my life away from here, but I've always returned. But more to see and chat to old friends than anything else these days. And since I can contact them via email anyway, even that reason is becoming redundant. I sense another sabbatical coming on in the next month or so, and if I'm honest I feel like it will be a prolonged indefinite one. That's more personal than anything and not primarily to do with the way the board is going, but not entirely unconnected either.

This has been a more interesting read than expected.

Agree with a lot of it, and I find myself focussing on the human element, the distinct lack of 'characters', both malevolent (e.g. Neil) and benevolent (e.g. Eddie). Others who had a lot to offer but who went off the edge for some reason and were sadly never reached out to (Ryyannon springs to mind). The loons as well, both amusing and not so amusing. Then of course the ridiculous bores, some of whom occasionally crawl back out of the woodwork :whistling: and some of whom have thankfully migrated to pastures new (MyFaceTwitBook), although sadly not without leaving a lot of unnecessary grief in their wake. Maybe my pugnacious Irish blood speaking but I also miss the amusing but petty little feuds, the sly digs and slightly barbed comments, mostly in jest and usually harmless banter. Dems will know what I mean ;) Miss Understood isn't wheeled out anymore by her 'carers' and there are no gimps like FlipLockbuckle and PaneraiFreak active anymore to give us all a good laugh.

But there's a lot of neurotics about these days, say a slightly controversial word, and *bam* you get some jumped up self-righteous muppet on your case and your "reputation" level taking a hit :rolleyes: I also think there's a massive iceberg of noobs who are here for a quick fix and have no interest in participating in any other way. Sign of our times maybe.

Content-wise, I agree about the slowdown both seasonal and economic, but also think there's a lot of 'fun' gone from the content, no more quizzes, guess the macro shot, rare vintage gen or frankens etc. It's all gone very 'commercial' in tone, and I half expect RWG will go the way of the ADHD kids playground (RG) given time. The only improvement I see is some members stepping up to the plate (and then some) when it comes to cosmetic mods and how-to's - Francisco especially deserves an honourable mention. But there's a lack of Off-Topic fun as well... .it's been 3 years now since we ran the Champions League prize pool, an 8-month thread of joy, despair, banter and yes, a little gloating at the end :whistling: The Metrosexual Grooming Corner, however, has been a welcome newcomer, although that too has been a little slow of late.

Ultimately, my enthusiasm for watches has ebbed and flowed, usually in tandem with my life away from here, but I've always returned. But more to see and chat to old friends than anything else these days. And since I can contact them via email anyway, even that reason is becoming redundant. I sense another sabbatical coming on in the next month or so, and if I'm honest I feel like it will be a prolonged indefinite one. That's more personal than anything and not primarily to do with the way the board is going, but not entirely unconnected either.

Wow..Bravissimo Doc !!!

I also miss the amusing but petty little feuds, the sly digs and slightly barbed comments, mostly in jest and usually harmless banter. Dems will know what I mean ;)

You should have been at my dinner table growing up. At any given meal, 9-10 Scots looking for the weak chink in the other guys' armour. Case in point; 'TTK' is a Scot. Enough said. :lol: Every poke I made at Clive, others, was conjured from that experience. It's how I do 'family' and it's gotten me in hot water on more than one occaision on RWG I can assure you. Clive was a special case, me being the first generation 'Merican card carrying Anglophile I appreciated the man and his culture. He, being a charter member of the 'Brompton Yank Bashers Esq.' and long studied curmudgeon found it frustrating that every attempt he made to get my goad for being Amerikkkan only made me more fond of him. I understood him, he understood me all too well for his liking. That part screwed with his head the most. Loved it.

But anyway, yeah, that was a great post Doc. And a few pages back I sat here nodding at the computer screen reading Jeff's great post too. In this thread I've composed more posts than submitted, submitted as many as I have because it's the exercise with regard; 'post count' and I find these days, these are the type musings I enjoy. You know, just to see and make sure Offshore gets out of Guangzhou safely and can't wait to see Nanuq's new crib up to the rafters in powder.

Beyond; "Nice watch!", "Congrats, it's a beauty!", "Wear it well and in good health!" I have not much input technically to a hobby that passed me up years ago. I am stuck in that time slot; the moment RWGjr. opened it's doors. All my watches. Hilarious. There's no place for unmodded TWB crown guards and slugs passing for HEV's in the weekly wrist check. It's like the Edsel. There was a time tho'. Was a time.

By the time RWG went off-line it was a real hump. The last year I was disappointed the 'benefactor' re-upped the domain costs. It was more then time for the site to go away. Way more. I was committed to it for no other reason than it was fascinating in the laissez-faire, but in the end felt as though I should have been committed for said same.

It got very dark on more than several occaisions. Spooky dark. Like Hannibal Lecter dark. I got caught up in some of that. It unnerved me. It wasn't me. The laissez-faire is touted as, "The place I can just be me without putting on airs, be real......" True. Real flipping nutso. I trotted over to rwg jr. jr. with the flow, and don't get me wrong, Greg has done a great job with it, the members are engaged and committed, and Col. supports it, they have fun, so there's the only recommendation anyone would need to at least check it out, but for me? Over it and God Bless. If this site were one iota more like the others and less, as Gunnar pointed out, like TRC I'd be out too. The better part of people is not their unbridled honesty, it's the measures they take to get along and pull together. If they have to suck it up and 'fake it' a bit, compromise to control themselves to get it done? All the better. If it's "work" it's noble. If it's "wholesome" work it's immaculate.

I'm going to stick around for the 'feel good'. To tell you the truth, "Off-Topic" and all that? The less 'real' up in here the better. Unless it's a real 1:1 Sub case.

Well, this thread has certainly taken on a life of it's own, and I don't think anyone is more surprised than myself.

Or more pleased.

It's been a great read for me, going over a lot of the good-bad-otherwise which some of us have plowed through over time.

I'm brought back to the thought that what has kept it going, in a mostly civil and always constructive way, has been the moderating. Moderation is what it's all been about and some of our moderators have had to deal with the immoderate, to say the least.

Some of the most interesting posters are gone, and some are not really missed. Some are missed very much.

But what of the future for this board?

I think that I have read several thread responses that have characterized NOOBs as mainly drive bys, looking for the "best sub" and then leaving the rep hobby and this board behind. I do not think it works that way. Getting a good rep is not the end of the quest but only the beginning. A successful first rep purchase does not satisfy the hunger, it only increases it.

Let us all examine how we got here and try to find ways to attract new people to the hobby.

Carl

Well, this thread has certainly taken on a life of it's own, and I don't think anyone is more surprised than myself.

Or more pleased.

It's been a great read for me, going over a lot of the good-bad-otherwise which some of us have plowed through over time.

I'm brought back to the thought that what has kept it going, in a mostly civil and always constructive way, has been the moderating. Moderation is what it's all been about and some of our moderators have had to deal with the immoderate, to say the least.

Some of the most interesting posters are gone, and some are not really missed. Some are missed very much.

I think that I have read several thread responses that have characterized NOOBs as mainly drive bys, looking for the "best sub" and then leaving the rep hobby and this board behind. I do not think it works that way. Getting a good rep is not the end of the quest but only the beginning. A successful first rep purchase does not satisfy the hunger, it only increases it.

Let us all examine how we got here and try to find ways to attract new people to the hobby.

Carl

You nailed it Carl ... this thread was never intended as .."just Post" .... All great sports programs stay great due to ..

"Player development" ... so if the Vet's miss the "way it used to be" or think that things are going side way's..

It would help to "develop" some of the new members who have the potential.. or discuss what can be done to keep new members ..

I think We need to "guide" and "coach".. rather than "put down".. not that that happens a lot... just a thought.. when A NOOb asks that age old Question.. "who has the best sub"? how is he being treated ??

It's up to the "Old School" members to keep RWG.. RWG.. you all are the elders here..but unless you open the doors to others who have been here awhile.. and not be exclusive .. (in attitude as well as anything else).. we will stay stagnant..

again.. I'm not pointing the finger.... just .. food for thought..

L

You see clive is British and Dems is just simply NIXON (=not british but US American republican)....Clive likes Asian women (and Dems because of his language) and Dems like women (and pretends to hate Clive)....something like that :pardon:

I think they were much like a couple that had been married for many many years and loved to pick at each other...B tea party and all...

bell512.jpg

Clive and Dems...

Like john said. TTK is no better at taking care of himself than he was with other folk at the end.

A source of endless entertainment tho. Who can forget him calling poor ole' Fakey a water bufflo pussy? :rofl:

:lol: But that was FM vs. Jos Nana! Fakey threatened to kill Josh (that was during his "I'm a hitman" phase), Josh called him a water buffalo pussy... man that thread was classic!

Edited by JohnG

I feel like I've missed out! lol

This is true, for me in any case. :) Having come on here following recommendation by someone on a car forum, I was only looking for a Big Pilot watch of some description as I couldn't stretch anywhere near to a gen B&R. After looking round I found I was lusting after Rollies, PAMs, IWCs... Having taken the plunge on the $100 1939 Portuguese and been extremely impressed with the quality for the money, I can't wait for my WM9 SD to arrive!

Even if I can't afford a lot of reps at the moment, I have learnt enough to know roughly what I'm looking for in a watch and what quality I should be aiming for/avoiding, and this has meant that I've stocked up on homages to see me through until such time that I can shell out on decent reps. There are a lot of good reps for not a lot of money out at the moment, but as I'm just starting out in this game and wanting to try things out, homages offer a way to try the shape/size/feel of a watch before splashing $100+ on a rep.

When I am rich (one day, one day... ;) lol) I will be able to start getting those on my wishlist!

Thank you to everyone on here who has offered advice and guidance to me and all the other n00bs. Perhaps some aren't particularly grateful at the time but I think those who stick around realise the value of the wisdom imparted to them and repay it to the community! :)

Good question. Is the fact that the dealers section is now colapsed into a single header on the index page whilst a section on Men's Health and Grooming sits there in all it's glory? I hope not but it does seem a bit [censored] about for a watch board. Any forum will slowly but surely become the forum it's members want, or die. So basicly, what this place is/will be is entirly up to you guys (the membership). All fora evolve and change. Change being the only constant in the universe after all. Well, change and the quality of The Zigmeister's workmanship :)

Thanks for the kind words Dems and remember, while the crazies are over there, the're not anoying folk here :)

Just think of RWG1.1 as one big loony bin with some quality watch talk thrown in as a bonus. We do actualy talk watches too ya know :whistling:

Actualy, of late, if it's homage watches that float your boat there is a hell of a lot of info there as well as the only two homage dealers in repdom.

Col.