When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shipping Tragedy - Canada to UK

Toadtorrent

So...this is my open apology to Nikki6.

Awhile back...a long while back, I tried to help Sixx out with a deal with another member who wouldn't ship outside of Canada. I acted as middle man for 3 watches (an HBB lite, 42mm PO, and Concord C1) and the watches arrived quickly by Canada Post to which I repackaged them and mailed them off to Sixx in the UK.

A chrono pusher fell off, and the crown was known to be buggy on the C1, so I ordered a new pusher and crown and stem for Sixx through Peter which was packaged up with the watches before shipping it out.

I tried to keep things under the radar for value, taxes, and counterfeit goods reasons and shipped it with a neutral description by standard surface mail without tracking. Shipping with tracking I thought would raise too much attention...from what I understood. Nothing on the package indicated watches, and things were bubble wrapped so wouldn't feel like them either.

Well...10-12 weeks later...no package. I contacted the post office and of course, without tracking, they can't do anything.

Crap. So...I apologize to Sixx that this didn't work out. I have never had problems shipping anything outside of Canada before this...and of course, it dings a great member on the board.

I guess the morale of the story is, ship it with tracking and take the chance with customs???

Maybe???

Bugger :(

Sorry to hear this - never good when things don't make it :(

If it's any consolation, the UK has had strike action recently and it may well still be stuck in a depot somewhere, in a backlog of stuff - although I wouldn't necessarily hold out any hope on that...

You were right about the tracking. Unless you use an courier, adding tracking actually slows down the delivery and adds to the risk. It's always quicker to ship without tracking when sending from a decent Western country to another.

I think you made a mistake by not describing the package as watches though. They all still get X-rayed and a package with 3 watches in described as something else is going to get attention/opened - it's obviously got something to hide. It's best to declare it as a gift with description of "Used watch for parts" or along those lines and not send more than 1 watch per package.

When you say surface mail, do you mean not airmail, as in by boat? If so it could take a ridiculously long time so there may be hope yet when you combine this with the UK strikes (maybe).

Edited by TheBluePrince

Yeah...I feel like complete tripe. I know it's one of the risks we take in the hobby...but man...not something I wish to have happen to anyone...but you feel even worse when it happens to you.

@BluePrince - the package was described as fashion accessories for repair, and had a repair note inside and parts as well so it would hold up on inspection.

This may not be as bad as you think.

I have had a number of packages from the US that all took a minimum of 2 weeks to arrive.

Also I have yet to hear about a customs issue from the Americas to the UK.

And if that IS the case, I would expect a note to arrive from the UK customs to the recepient.

Add up min 2 weeks, a postal strike here, no note from the customs and the fact that I have x-ed my fingers, hopefully your parcel will arrive safely. :)

Good luck!

shipping with tracking from Canada to UK costs $56, whereas without tracking costs $7. That's probably why the seller didn't want to ship outside Canada/Conus

I sold to a member in UK (I'm from Canada) and decided to go for no tracking, since with tracking was almost the cost of the watch itself. .

Well, the package never arrived.... Even though the terms of sale was explicit that buyer assumes all risks, I ended up returning half the money on the watch. I eventualy was out of pocket about $80US from the when I bought it from the dealer to the postage and the refund. I don't think I will ever sell outside Canada/Conus anymore.

I'm sorry for all involved.. it's a MO to have this happen to anyone..

I ship flat rate express.. for the price of tracking Priority it comes out to about the same as express charges, and tracking is built into the price.. and the PO tells me that express mail is handled with a little more attention..

Regardless ... It's a horrible feeling to say the least.. on both ends..

AC

Lani

Remember Magnusson, this is 2 cases over how much time, and how many transactions?? In general, I don't think there are many issues...but luck of the draw on this one. Crappy luck...crappy draw...but still.

I would like to believe that shipping from/to Canada is still generally safe.

Toad -- cool of you to post an apology, but as i know the Sixxster (american slang for our Euro horological vamp!), he appreciates the assistance and the friendship...shtuff happens - and it sucks when it happens to you...

i do have a theory, tho...we've all heard about the Bermuda Triangle and it's perils...stick with me on this?!...i'm thinking that Lani is actually an international postal spy...he and his henchmen (and women, of course!) route some suspect parcels to Hawaii...we've all seen a small tad of his collection, right?!...hmmmmm...not your everyday hide-the-hobby from your partner collection, right?!...hmmmmmmmmm....

R-

Toad,

At different times, I have used seafreight to overcome shipping costs on bulkier items. Now my residence is a bit further away than the UK is from Canada, however I have had a couple of occasions when shipping has run out to 16 weeks. So possibly all is not yet lost.

The other thing which can be said of seamail, if we generalise, is that it is very unreliable.

Twelve weeks is starting to push the limits of patience however.

O/S

I just want to say right from the off here that I in NO WAY blame TT for this in the slightst!!! He was being a real good friend and helping me out, as hackR said, I would take the friendship over a few reps any day of the year!! Not only was he good enough to help me in getting the watches, but when it was discovered that the crown was messed up, he even ordered the parts for me!! TT is a great guy and there is no blame going anywhere near his end!!

It's just a sad fact, that sometimes, sh1t like this happens in our hobby, sure it blows, but it's a risk we take, hence the tags on most sales posts "...will do so at own risk" I did and crappy for Toad and I, we crapped out! He did lose the chrono pusher all on his own though the loser!! lol. To make it even funnier, he then found it the other day, where I hear you ask?? Only on some sticky back that was on his wee daughters ladybird bicycle helmet!!!???!!! lol, that really cracked me up today when he told me!!

Thanks for the apology TT, but I said a ton of times, there is no need, there is no blame at your end you were being a good friend is all!!

hackR You may have something there, Lani, gget in here and explain your big muscled ass!!! (not that I've seen Lanis ass or anything, but going from what I heard about the cannons he perches watches on!?>?! I'll get me coat!!)

Sixx :bones:

shipping with tracking from Canada to UK costs $56, whereas without tracking costs $7. That's probably why the seller didn't want to ship outside Canada/Conus

I sold to a member in UK (I'm from Canada) and decided to go for no tracking, since with tracking was almost the cost of the watch itself. .

Well, the package never arrived.... Even though the terms of sale was explicit that buyer assumes all risks, I ended up returning half the money on the watch. I eventualy was out of pocket about $80US from the when I bought it from the dealer to the postage and the refund. I don't think I will ever sell outside Canada/Conus anymore.

I was the reciever of this watch and it was much appreciated that IYSK was straight up with me. If the watch ever turns up ( you never know with the postal strike) I will do the decent thing by him and give the money back straight away.

However it is really soul destoying when packages dont turn up, I have lost two in succession now one from Canada and one from Italy, altough I rec'd the box on the second one it was empty...sticky fingered postman?!

These examples (this thread and IYSK & my experiences) just show the good feeling on the forum between fellow members.

I fully understand and know that Sixx as a good friend hold no grudge against me as crap happens even when trying to do the right thing. It's the nature of ANYTHING. However, as I said in a PM to him, I also thought that if anybody can glean some info or suggestions on shipping, or perhaps realize that this sort of thing happens from time to time even from relatively safe countries, it will help control expectations all 'round.

Well...if the package does indeed show up, our postal lady will get another nice sponsorship on her next marathon she runs!!

I order stuff from ebay all the time for many years and have never ever had a bad shipping experience.

Canada Customs, on the other hand, does open about 30-40% of the stuff, which is rather disconcerting. I mostly buy laptops and pc equipment on ebay. But the last item was a mesh laundry bag I bought for $10, shipped in a bubble envelope.

Sure enough, Customs checked it out! (And didn't bother to re-seal the envelope!)

Well...10-12 weeks later...no package

I've had stuff sent via surface mail from the US several times over the years and never once has it shown up in under 3 months, so I think it's a bit early to write off the shipment just yet Toad. The longest I've waited was well over 6 months (maybe more than 7, I lost track well before arrival), when USPS apparently decided Norway was a town in South Korea. Postal workers there decided it was in fact a small hamlet on the South African weld and sent it onwards. Fortunately some bright spark in Jo'burg seemed to have heard of my country and sent it northwards.

In other words: it really is far too early to give up hope. Surface Mail appears to mean that the parcel will be loaded onto the slowest ship available, preferably one which travels to the Far East first, or all the way down the coast of South America, before heading for Europe. Once it has put in to port as far as geographically possible from its destination, the overland leg of the journey is then made in the back of a 1964-model Tatra lorry with a top speed of 48 kilometers per hour (if the wind is right).

It'll probably get there, it's just hard to say when. In the future it might be best to use Surface Mail only for things neither you, nor the recipient particularly cares about. It really is more alike to an adventure sport than a postal service offering.

It really is more alike to an adventure sport than a postal service offering.

ROFLMAO.

How true, how true.

I'm with you, I reckon it will show.......one day........!

Just depends which year (or century)

And they managed to throw a postal workers strike into the mix....thats gotta be good for another 6 weeks...at least!

O/S