When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Thing of Beauty?

Gatchaman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much the amount of questions as the tone of them, anyone who has spent time here knows what we are about and shouldn't need to post negative type questions.

I also noted your grumble in Hikes thread and wonder if all is good in your world at the moment?

Ken

How can a fake watch be a thing of beauty?

Why do some people post 1280x960 32-bit colour images of their $50 fake and most oooh and ahhh over them?

Why do some people own 10 or more fakes when they could own 1 gen?

I'm starting to wonder about the obsession of some folks. :mellow:

is a lithograph of a Picasso less beautiful ??

is this pic not something I like to view ?

brietlinggraphitepamsubz.jpg

I own gens.. , but I feel more reward searching for parts.. the outcome of a year of more of hunting .. and realizing the finished product.. something of a "journey" and not just the final "destination",.. the challenge of building or creating .. even though I'm not the one to do the "professional" end of the lume etc.

this is a "supporting" forum, for others that .. for whatever reason love watches .. and there is no prerequisite for enjoying this community other than a passion for timepieces .. weather genuine or as you so eloquently put it.. fake.

and if you don't "get" that.. try going over to a genuine forum and see what kind of support you receive and how much sincerity you view, other than people boasting of their expensive timepieces... sure we all have ego's here... but we also have much more in support and camaraderie.. and understanding of what dreams and goals are... this forum has many successful members .. a lot of truly talented individuals... many more intelligent people than one would imagine.. and a whole lotta HEART !!!!

answer your inquiry ???? 8)

and if you still don't get it.. try facebook.. :lol:

AC

Lani

Maybe we've forgotten that what we are really oohing and aahing at are the designs of skilled watchmakers and designers. Like when Ubi posts photos of his rep IWC 3707, it just reminds me of how great the gen is. But, I'm not oohing and aahing at the rep. Its almost as though we've forgotten the true nature of our passion for watches.

Not so much the amount of questions as the tone of them, anyone who has spent time here knows what we are about and shouldn't need to post negative type questions.

I thought it was funny. Hopefully Hikes will get the joke.

I also noted your grumble in Hikes thread and wonder if all is good in your world at the moment?

Ken

Maybe we've forgotten that what we are really oohing and aahing at are the designs of skilled watchmakers and designers. Like when Ubi posts photos of his rep IWC 3707, it just reminds me of how great the gen is. But, I'm not oohing and aahing at the rep. Its almost as though we've forgotten the true nature of our passion for watches.

I don't see it that way. The best reps are visually so close to the gens that you can barely notice the difference. IWC utilizes the base 7750 movement, which is absolutely NOTHING special (horologically). The function on the rep is exactly the same. Same thing with basic non-complications... ETAs/Asian movements show the time just as well as an expensive inhouse 3135 in Rolexes. And the service cost isn't 500 Euros on the rep.

Personally, I find reps much more fascinating. Without reps I wouldn't own any of my gens. They can be a great "test drive"... imagine buying a $7K GMT IIc and finding out only a few weeks later that it's not the right watch for you. You're facing an immediate, heavy price depreciation.

And this community is much more thrilling than any gen forum, imho. If you look at the RWG history, you'll notice that we've always had lots of colorful, even a bit shady characters.

Most gen forums are about as exciting as this old TV show:

murder-she-wrote-jessica-fletcher-played-by-angela-landsbury.jpg

With ALL due respect Mr. By-Tor (just love your reviews) - please do not insinuate that Murder She Wrote was not exciting! Or that in some way Ms. Lansbury is nothing short of a national treasure. Thank you, sir. :whistling:

murder-she-wrote-jessica-fletcher-played-by-angela-landsbury.jpg

Personally, I find reps much more fascinating. Without reps I wouldn't own any of my gens. They can be a great "test drive"... imagine buying a $7K GMT IIc and finding out only a few weeks later that it's not the right watch for you. You're facing an immediate, heavy price depreciation.

100% goes for me as well. Reps are a great way for me to test drive a piece before I buy it. I appreciate the Gen even more knowing I made the right purchase.

As By-Tor and Lani put it, the Gen forums in my mind suck! Look around here at the level of talent! We have guys that can re-lume dials, AR coat crystals and come up with some out of the box ideas to bring the reps 99%+ to within the Gens. Read Francisco’s & The Zigmeister’s threads, and then go find watch makers that think like they do and perform some of the mods as they do. I bet you will not find them hanging out on any of the Gen forums.

I am a engineer, I have engineers that work for me...they are all by the text book, same stuff day in and day out. Never willing to take risks or think “How can I”. If it is not in the book, they are screwed! The Zigmeister, Francisco and several other members are the outside the box thinkers that bring a whole new level to this hobby and make it even more amazing! Even better yet, they are willing to share their knowledge with us.

Look at some of Chifs AR jobs! Some of them on the Rep Breiltings lately are better then the Gens!

Just think about what it takes to get there and how to get there with a Rep.how do you not Ooooh and Ahhhhh???

......stepping off my soapbox. :drinks:

I d tap jessica :)

GILF?

You just can't get this kind of witty banter on most gen sites. I am not a member of any gen site, but I do stop in from time to time for some light reading, and as much as I do respect those folks and their passion for their collections, I just find the rep forums more informative and entertaining overall. Some folks on gen forums are all about "look what I got and imagine what I paid for it" mentality. Just the mention of the words "homage watch" and they go off the deep end, too snobbish, too full of themselves. On top of that, some of those folks only think they know what they are looking at, and they certainly have no idea of whats going on inside the case of a watch. Here you have craftsmen who can do amazing work with just basic tools and true professionals who not only know watches inside and out, but post their knowledge for all to see and be inspired with, you don't get that with gen forums.

Besides, what is there to "get", I don't know everything, but I do know when I am having a good time, and I have more of a good time on the rep forums. So, what I do "get" is a sense of community while enjoying what I consider a cool hobby, and in that sense, I "get" a lot.

Cheers 8)

All good points lads, and here's another: on what gen forum do you read about members being willing to take a dremel and drill and make their watch better? :o

On this forum we appreciate the watch for what it is... a solid, well finished tool that can take on different shapes and functions beneath a master's hand. We appreciate scars and gouges.

On gen forums they don't love the watch, they love what it represents: manufacturer marketing and hype. So the piece must be pristine, treated with kid gloves, and locked away in a safe. So the hype (and by extension, their purchase decision) doesn't get tarnished.

I'm here for the avatars...Shundi, Hike and Gio...where are you??? I didn't even know there were watches here. BTW, what is this thing called "replica" anyways??

Toad, I think if you look closely at Shundi's avatar you'll see a demonstration of (cough) replicas. :tu:

Okay, now you can stop looking. You'll go blind doing that.

$50 fake

$50 fakes are pieces of [censored]. I completely agree with you. How in the hell do people oogle these?

But..

No one here own's $50 fakes. Thats about half the price of the cheapest reps anyone here would even entertain.

Its a conspiracy. Example. This isn't a rep. Its a Breitling, sans the Breitling warranty and out of warranty repair costs. B)

SDC10004.jpg