When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SD = Salvador Dali ?

Nanuq

Looks like it were caught in fire? Who would bid this high for this? Someone is shilling the auction.

Exactly, with the amount of heat that watch has taken I would be very surprised if the case isn't warped.

Ken

Good point, Ken, I guess it's kinda like gambling- all or nothing, no guts no glory! The description does say the caseback screws in easliy, tho. But second look at the movement and it is obviously cheese- melted that is!

Of course, I'm very happy just to watch from the sidelines!

Ha! My thinking exactly. Don't know if you have to buy another movement- that one looks ruff ruff, need a decent GW dial, tritium hands, bezel assembly and T-39- not a superdome, but the later flatter one. Getting all gen Rolex parts would be the trick. A 93150 w/ the 585 end pieces and you're all set.

Buy it for $5K

Spend for parts $5K

Sell it for $14K

$4K profit

That's what's running the price up- those GD unscrupulous franken builders!

Oh. Ok. It makes more sense then. But not much.

Ah but if you find you can't get another movement in there (in fact need a cole chisel to get the old one out) because the case is warped, then the whole thing would have been an expensive experiment yes?

Ken

That's my thinking too (yYou may want to reconsider your thinkng Ken :lol:) This case may never pass a pressure test again.

There are enough guys that follow eBay here, we'll see if this shows up again in the near future. The case cleaned up serial '5766950'

I never gave it much thought before, but are there ties between the 'case' and the OEM movement issued with it, by serial number? Like automobiles? In the original paperwork?

No? Then any 'gen' you buy could have a retrofitted movement installed? From an entirely different model altogether?

Yes? Who would think to check before sale of 'gen'?

Good question, Dems. On my 1680 the serial numbers are separate and should be noted on any service paperwork. Case 54477** and movement D5123**.

That information was actually needed within the last year, as the person I got it from swore up and down that it used to have a quick-set date. But that movement age compares favorably to the case age by serial number, and that movement series does not quickset.

Useful, eh?

If you have a gen. middle case and case back you have the makings of a ‘gen’ 1665. Worth around £7,000.

The problem is that most of the value is in the dial & movement, both of which are fried, in the literal sense.

The dial is a write-off & the movement is probably likewise so. That leaves the case, which, even on a Saturday with the wind in your back, your favorite girl on your arm & a winning lottery ticket in your pocket, is not worth 4 grand. In its present condition, it might be worth a gamble for $500 - $1,000. But $4k is just plain :bangin:

Nanuq - Repeat after me - warped = bad thing.

I've watched this auction from the beginning, and it jumped too quickly. Definitely shilled.

Anyone notice the polished top sides of the lugs? Something very odd here... Arson is an old game to cover something up :g:

A correct case and caseback in that range serial would certainly be worth where the item is now bidding. Above that, and it just wouldn't be worth it, and in this case, certainly a poor gamble at best.

Nanuq- I can't believe you're bidding $4000< for this!! :)

Hey, when you recognize the work of a true Master you need to get it into your collection. :Jumpy:

I was expecting to see a pic of stove cooked sub here. :D

Ahhhhhh, you don't know the whole story there, do you? That little experiment started on the stove, but I quickly realized I didn't have enough BTUs to do a proper test. So I went to Plan "B" :whistling: and melted that sapphire crystal in the process!