When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something old, something new

Nanuq

He definitely took those crown guards right off the case!

Is it me, or does the rehaut look kinda 'wok-like'? Of course, we all know you can't post a rep on VFR w/o getting dissed!

Needless to say, this watch won't be going to Rolex for service any time soon.

The black pearl doesn't do anything for me, but the no cg/no cyclop look is kinda cool.

Would be cool if the pearl was an LED.

I think this is kinda silly though. Watches aren't like cars, you can't throw on a set of rims, tint the windows to make a statement. This is just not done with watches, especially Rolexes.

Now if he encrusted the whole thing in diamonds that would be a different story. :p

goat, I kinda agree with you, this just doesn't look right to me for some reason. The shaved CGs give it a very retro look but to me it looks more like a rep somebody used to experiment with techniques...

Interesting :) Not sure I get the point of a black pearl, as it can't be used for timing in the dark, but it's an interesting look :good: Good to see a gen owner customizing their watch as well :victory:

Yep TJ nice to see, we were just saying in that other post about gen owners not playing enough

The lack of CG realy grows on me

I know guys, you're going to rip me, but IMHO IT'S AWFUL! The owner managed to completely wreck that watch. The black pearl is unuseful, the case without CGs but with triplock crown makes no sense...and a LV dial too??? Please God, forgive that guy, he doesn't know what he has done...

Edited by elepaolo

Yep TJ nice to see, we were just saying in that other post about gen owners not playing enough

The lack of CG realy grows on me

I was about to say, that the case reminded me of the Project X watches, but Vlydog beat me to it :lol:

I know guys, you're going to rip me, but IMHO IT'S AWFUL! The owner managed to completely wreck that watch. The black pearl is unuseful, the case without CGs but with triplock crown makes no sense...and a LV dial too??? Please God, forgive that guy, he doesn't know what he has done...

I agree, the black pearl is completely unuseful, but the rest, I can't see a problem with it... LV dial = enhanced visibility :)

A shame. I always see these customizations of classic Rolex watches as being the watch equivalent to this

camo300sl4-thumb-540x405.jpg

For those who are unfamiliar, this is was a rare Mercedes 300SL 'Gullwing', which is was 1 of the most coveted & valuable cars ever made.

To be fair though, a session with a media blaster and a re-spray, and that could once more be a beautiful car with mass appeal :) Along the same lines, I think if the black pearl was to be replaced with a fresh one, then it would be a nice watch IMHO :)

I agree with D that a DLC bath would be nice.

So what case did he use?

Looks like he took some inspiration form these guys: http://www.projectxdesigns.com/

I'd guess a standard 16610, with the CGs ground off and the cyclops removed... There's no lug holes and no rehaut engraving, so that would be my guess :)

Please God, forgive that guy, he doesn't know what he has done...

A shame. I always see these customizations of classic Rolex watches as being the watch equivalent to this

then again, I want to cry.

A concurrence. The potential for bad Karama? It's It's Nostradamical in scope. Someone is going to pay. Big.

a re-spray

Mercedes Silver Arrow silver thank you. :)

I'm sure I could Google it, but I can not; Once, in Carlsbad, California, I saw a P-51 Mustang D model done up in Chennault livery; olive drab replete with Flying Tiger shark mouth paint scheme and 'Disney' Flying Tiger insignia a` la P-40 Warhawk. I wanted to cry then too. The airplane was owned by an Arab. A distant realtive to the House of Saud. The airplane crashed and was destroyed on take off, soon after it was released into service. Hopefully at the hands of the owner at the controls. God is good.

For those who are unfamiliar, this is was a rare Mercedes 300SL 'Gullwing', which is was 1 of the most coveted & valuable cars ever made.

Proof that money does not = taste!

There are some things that should be left alone, like a vintage 300SL. Rare, expensive... Endangered species :) That is a sacrilige! However, there are plenty of Subs out there where one or 250 less in circulation won't make much of a difference.

Still, I'd have probably subjected such mods to a rep before a gen. But, I suppose people are free to do whatever they want with their money.

• 2 weeks later...

It's his watch, he paid for it.

I see a difference between modding a new Gen and modding a vintage one. Pimping a classic Mercedes is wrong because it destroys the patina and originality of the car but getting AMG or whoever to go mad on a new one is fine. Taking a 6538A Sub and PVD coating it would be shameful but it's fine to do it to a new Sub, Rolex can always make more of those.

This mod is exactly like ordering a Pro-Hunter (plus or minus some taste).