When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why does my Reply Box

Demsey

I'm having issues with this as well - I can't even see what 'm typing until Im' four lines down or so :(

That and the fact that the smileys box overlaps and hides the tet too!

It's a good job I can touch tyope... lol

EDIT:

And again, in English, now I can see what I'm typing in the Edit Post box... ;) (well, apart from the smileys that still overlap...) Clearly my touchtyping needs work! lol

"I'm having issues with this as well - I can't even see what I'm typing until I'm four lines down or so :(

That and the fact that the smileys box overlaps and hides the text too!

It's a good job I can touch type... lol"

It has to do with the browser we are (were) using X. I.E.? At the urging of members (over years) I have switched to 'FireFox' from Mozilla.

Happy to admit I have been missing better board performance. The Reply/Fast Reply box error is gone, the whole board runs smoother and faster. Before I get too used to FF I'm going to try Google Chrome and then settle on one or the other.

I still don't 'get it' tho'.

To all of those who have IE and problems with the reply box. Please try emptying your browser cache, temporary internet files and cookies;

1. Exit Internet Explorer 7, and then exit any instances of Windows Explorer.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • In Windows Vista, click Start Collapse this imageExpand this imageVistaStartButton.jpg, type inetcpl.cpl in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    • In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
[*]On the General tab, click Delete under Browsing History in the Internet Properties dialog box.[*]In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, click Delete Cookies and Delete Files.[*]In the dialog box, click Yes.

http://video.about.com/pcsupport/Clear-Internet-Cache.htm

Not sure if it will work, but this is a general tip that will allow you to get rid of older files that might be causing problems.

To all of those who have IE and problems with the reply box. Please try emptying your browser cache, temporary internet files and cookies;

http://video.about.com/pcsupport/Clear-Internet-Cache.htm

Not sure if it will work, but this is a general tip that will allow you to get rid of older files that might be causing problems.

That didn't work :(

I'm using EI 8 with the compatibility view function

Never had this problem before, been working fine until the last couple of days :g:

I'm having the same problem on our computer at work. It's a Dell running Vista with IE 8. I'm getting exactly the same configuration with the reply box as everyone above. Editor splits the Reply box in half. This is going to make it difficult to compose a long post with several photos.

Anybody have any ideas as to a fix. this obviously popped up after the upgrades.

Arthur

I tried to clean the cache yesterday. No joy.

FireFox is free, but if you prefer to use I.E. browser to surf the rest of the 'net you can just dedicate RWG as your FireFox Homepage. You can open up RWG from your desk top by clicking the 'FireFox' icon. Bang. Which is what I have done. Run two browsers at once. Truthfully? I'll prolly give up on I.E. altogether. V 8 really screwed with A LOT of streaming vids, flash and compatability from Netflix, YouTube, news sites etc. I had to revert back to V 7 after the auto update.

If you're stuck at work on I.E. you can, as 'Member X' reported, just enter a reply as "Place Holder" or similar, submit that, click on your 'Edit' icon from the thread and you will get a clear field there to compose, cut and paste, editor etc., and as always you can compose in MS Word, Notepad, or Wordpad, then cut and paste.

Extra $100 to the board if the problem remains on Demsey's computer...

@ RWG

I had solved the problem with Firefox. But in the name of solidarity to RWG I have removed the program for the Firefox browser and have reverted to I.E. I hope the gesture is appreciated and that Doc's $100 will help in some small way 'keep the lights on'. You are all welcome and more to the point; all worth it.

@ Admin.

When Doc's PayPal clears for the $100 donation, please advise in this thread as a show to his, our, contribution(s). Do not consider him for a Platinum upgrade, it would just cheapen the gesture.

Wow. 'Tis the season. Giving just makes me feel good.

There are a myriad of reasons (all good) to switch from IE to Firefox (latest version), but chief among them is Firefox's ability (with the free 'NoScript' & 'AdBlock Plus' add-ons) to block ads, animations, malicious scripts, etc, all of which makes pages load much faster & with few (or no) ads. I think it also seems to handle the new RWG code better than IE8 (or IE7).

I too don't have some of the display problems with Firefox where I have problems with IE. The problem with Firefox is that if I have problems loading up a page filled with externally hosted images (either because of firewall or slow access to the external site or slow access through my ISP / wireless connection because of range / interference, etc), the page takes FOREVER to load up before I can read a post, whereas IE is more intelligent in that it allows me to view the text and scroll the page while the images are gradually populated on the page with successful download.

i, too, am having the problem with IE7...

to compensate, i type "blindly" thru the middle box and then when i'm done, i add a bunch of lines with only a single "X" on to the end...by adding extra lines, i can then scroll up/down and see what i blindly typed...after that looks good, i delete the extra lines...a pain - but it's a workaround...

R-

Same here. In fact I'm typing blindly right now. And it's too much of a hassle.

C'mon Fakey. You're the 'one liner' king. You have enough field to work with. Me? I could burn up the entire Leisure section of the Times.

Keep posting tho'. This thread is as arcane as Doc's "Free" thread. He's got a six page lead. We could turn it into monster if we all pull together as a team.