When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Favorite watch brand for a particular profession?

paneristi_man

Like to get a feel if you have observed any watch brands for a particular profession? I've seen that Rolex seems to be very popular for Qantas air stewards and have seen various Rolex models worn by them from Air King to Daytonas though I can't tell whether they are reps or gens.

I do travel a lot on Qantas so that's my observation.

From my observation of real, hard core, Scuba Divers, I would say 80%+ actually wear Seiko and Citizen Dive watches. Despite the fact Rolex, Omega, Doxa, etc, are normally thought of when thinking about diving.

I also have 3 family members who are pilots. They all wear Citizen's, not Breitlings. :g:

From my observation of real, hard core, Scuba Divers, I would say 80%+ actually wear Seiko and Citizen Dive watches. Despite the fact Rolex, Omega, Doxa, etc, are normally thought of when thinking about diving.

I also have 3 family members who are pilots. They all wear Citizen's, not Breitlings. :g:

I'd thought so that the pilots would wear Breitlings too given their usually bigger than the average joe's salary.

If I travel through different time zones I usually wear a quartz watch (Kenneth Cole,pls don't laugh)....

I'd add too that a number of Sales Managers (in the IT industry) that I've met wear Rolex (usually subs).

Like to get a feel if you have observed any watch brands for a particular profession? I've seen that Rolex seems to be very popular for Qantas air stewards and have seen various Rolex models worn by them from Air King to Daytonas though I can't tell whether they are reps or gens.

I do travel a lot on Qantas so that's my observation.

That's funny, I flew to three different location over the break with Qantas (always Qantas), Domestic once and international twice and noticed nearly all the males stewards wearing on my flights wearing Submariners. Had never noticed in the past but you're right!

That's funny, I flew to three different location over the break with Qantas (always Qantas), Domestic once and international twice and noticed nearly all the males stewards wearing on my flights wearing Submariners. Had never noticed in the past but you're right!

Maybe they just wanna be ready just in case they survive a crash in the Ocean....then they could tell what time it happened???? :rofl: They mite get "LOST"!

Maybe they just wanna be ready just in case they survive a crash in the Ocean....then they could tell what time it happened???? :rofl: They mite get "LOST"!

lol. come on not on Qantas;it's the one airline that hasn't had a fatal air disaster;touch wood.

USA Railroad train service watches.

(train service = over the road crews)

In addition to train crews...Division Supts, Road Foremen, Trainmasters, Dispatchers, Station Agents, Track Supervisors/Inspectors, Car Shop Foremen, Special Agents (RR Police aka 'cinder dicks') etc were required to wear RR Approved models but most other RR employees also wore them. It was the employee's responsibility to buy and maintain the watch in good order.

Every train service employee had to have their watch running within 15 seconds of the Chief Dispatcher's Official Time and all crew members had to be within 30 seconds of each other (catch 22).

First time caught with no watch or DOA watch...you got a warning.

Second time...usually 7 days off without pay.

Late 1800s to 1960s...RR approved Amercan pocket watches...16 and 18 size Elgin, Waltham, Hamilton, Howard, Illinois, and Ball (Ball RR watches were made under contract by other American RR watch companies as Ball did not make watches).

Early 1960s to late 1970s...wristwatches came on the scene, Hamilton 'Electric' RR Approved and various mechanicals...BW Raymond, Ball Trainmaster, Wyler and a few others. Some Ball Trainmasters came with two hour hands mounted together, one hour apart (one black, one red) for routes that went through two time zones. One special model 218 Accutron came with two hour hands for two time zones.

Mechanical RR wristwatches...Ball Trainmaster, BW Raymond (Elgin and Swiss) etc were always a bit too fragile for freight service (imho), plus they had to be inspected every year and cleaned now and then at the owner;'s expense. Manual wind Swiss models had A/S 1604 and automatics had Eta 27xx etc. All had to be 21 jewel hack models with Incabloc shock protection and had to keep time within 15 sec/day.

The Hamilton Electric was horrible...unreliable and erratic.

In the early 1970s the RR Approved 214 Accutron was introduced for RR service but a lot of Elgin, Waltham, Hamilton 992/992B etc still remained in service. No trouble at all with A-trons but pocket watches are always fragile but very accurate. By the late 1970s, pocket watches had just about disappeared on the RR. Accutron 218 RR models appeared with the introduction of the civilian 218.

Early 1980s...Bulova quartz RR wrist watches and Bulova quartz RR Approved pocket watches (16 size) appeared in full force. Bulova was one of the first quartz RR Approved watches but Seiko, Citizen, Speidel, Pulsar, Rodania etc RR Approved models soon came out.

There were still a few mechanical watches but when they broke, they were replaced with a quartz watch.

Early 1980s to present...Seiko, Bulova, Citizen, and Pulsar quartz RR watches started showing up in mass. The first Seiko models had a battery hatch in the caseback like the 214 Accutron, later models had regular casebacks.

All RR Approved watches had to have RR Standard dials and hands and be approved on your home railroad (the one you worked for). All Wyler mechanical RR watches had to have Incabloc shock protection, not the patented Wyler Incaflex.

note:

All USA railroads do not have the same watch rules and the above applies only to the one I worked for.

Lots of car salesmen, especially the used car guys wear Rolex Day Dates. I'm sure they are all Replicas, as I still see some with the Quartz movements!!

i'm sure sales people wear everything, but I have seen a few around here with the above watches.

Arthur

I see a lot of Rollies at work. But the best of all...My boss (Who happens to be my grandfather) rocks a gen Piaget Polo, and its one of the older solid gold ones. The gold band is just sick, it looks almost like its woven or somehting. The CPA at our company (My Mom) rocks a Presidential, amd its a gen too. As a matter of fact, I am gonna put come pics of these up next week.

I see a lot of Rollies at work. But the best of all...My boss (Who happens to be my grandfather) rocks a gen Piaget Polo, and its one of the older solid gold ones. The gold band is just sick, it looks almost like its woven or somehting. The CPA at our company (My Mom) rocks a Presidential, amd its a gen too. As a matter of fact, I am gonna put come pics of these up next week.

hey bj,can i join your company? seems like they make some serious $$$ in there...please...

yeah some pics would be nice!

i'm just curious how you've managed to make that observation :rolleyes:

Why, diligent and relentless commitment to viewing such material just to be able to post such sightings in threads such as this, but of course!

BTW, wifey of wifey's world is always sporting something awesome on her wrist (and I'm not talking 'pearl' bracelets either!) :lol:

I've noticed that Daytonas and Day-Dates seem to be popular in the adult film industry...

ditto.. all the shots of recent flicks seem to have the Daytona in them :good:

I'd wonder what a flight steward carried in his/her luggage for delivery if I saw one wearing a gen Daytona.. :g: