When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whatever happened to TTK?

gridlock1983

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

In all my conversations with him, I can only confirm what others here have already stated, that he was a true gentleman, a friend if you befriended him and also very learned, his battles with Cousteau on TRC were legendary and hilarious.

I too remember the Rya saga where Neil pulled him back from the brink of suicide and also the time that members were scammed by someone in London, Neil garnered all the information, tracked him down, used some very heavy contacts in the London area and 'persuaded' the guy to return the money, I believe the members received their money.

I would also like to add that I don't believe Neil was ever a scammer, the evidence that proves otherwise is all there on his photosites.

Great to read those words. He was the most entertaining of all. I miss you TTK. :black_eye:

Funny reading all of this TTK stuff... back when he was posting nightly there wasn't this much love for the guy, to be sure!!

I always did enjoy his now infamous banter, picking on anyone and everyone he saw fit or felt deserved it.

At first his goods were typically $150 or less, 21j reps that he made look like supermodels with his digital camera and Photoshop.

He hated any mention of MBW until he started sourcing them. His prices weren't actually that bad as some have said- I believe he was charging $350 when it was neigh impossible to obtain MBW's for most, but when they were readily available they were $300 right from George or Vintaga Master... so not too big of a deal, honestly.

In the very early days, he did deliver within a reasonable time frame... he liked to use standard airmail (cheap reps, post included) so it would routinely take 3 weeks to a month to get watches from him... but several times he let that go to several months at times, and his membership was revoked (first TRC, then when RWG came along he went there, and not too long after he was unbanned from TRC) so yes he was never known for his speed by any means, but there were not too many in those days that really did never receive a thing, and I am not sure if those who claimed that really did get fleeced, or I just never heard the end where they got the watches they paid for.

I never got into it with the guy but saw plenty who did, I enjoyed him for the most part, and bought two watches from him probably 7 years ago now.

He could be abusive and was sometimes not easy to deal with, but was indeed a character who livened things up, if nothing else.

I do miss his signature typing as well as rants, and it is indeed sad news to hear he's at the minimum having health issues and may have passed on.

Lots of fond memories of the forums from back then.

@gillorin

nice write-up

off the "2 sides" of the "TTK-coin"

i (somehow) miss this weird guy too

without guys like him there isnt so much

fun beeing here on the boards...

maybe my feelings wouldve been more ambivalent

if having lost $$$ due to a transaction with him.

Anyway i wish him the best for his health -

maybe he wont sign in back to the boards anyway -

problem might be his "ego".

Those were the days when reading a comment

from Neil towards some n00b kept me away from

spending too much time in front of stupid television...

Regards

George

My reason for keeping this topic alive wasn't necessarily all about TTK in particular, rather the era when he was one of the driving forces on the forums, for better or worse. Some of you might not understand it if you weren't around back then or didn't participate in the forums very much, but all it is to me now is reminiscing. I remember a lot of the top contributors now when they were the ones asking the noob questions, watching the reps evolve so drastically over the last 5 or so years, and dealing with the lunatic dealers that had such character. Eddie Lee with his high prices but phenomenal customer service, and an inbox full of ridiculously enjoyable banter with every sale, River with his Taiwan Best Sub's everyone wanted (cheaper than Eddies!) as well as higher end watches no one else could source, Paul before, during and after his empire imploded, I even remember the Cartel before they were the Cartel- and the very first watch that made Josh famous (a Swiss PAM 111 for $200 when everyone was charging at least $300).

Also all the great friends I had back then, especially a couple I haven't seen in years, since life got a hold of me and I had to graduate college then grad school, returning to see they're nowhere to be found.

All in fun fellas :D

+1 :good:

and splendid pics!!

I guess (beeing no expert on this topic)

if photoshoped or not will be a secret forever.

One thing is for sure:

Splendid shots just "out of the magazine"

I guess he couldve worked also as a prof

photographer for a watch magazine...

So, word up... trying to be a honest guy

and also trying to live like that, telling

and naming the things as they are,

i just had to add that.

Other things are sadly true too and the

second side of the same "medal":

increasing shipping time approaching

limit of eternity and for some ppl beyond...

Back then i was either thinking Neil was

drown back by serious health issues or our

infamous Galileo-of-reps-TTK invented

and tests an ingenious method utilizing

powers of continental drift as a new way

of shipping reps from BK?

:bangin:

This and (maybe) more than all of the

things we write down will remain partly

"a miracle"... the miracle TTK.

We had some great fun with him... :bicycle:

I NEVER intentionally planed to banter TTK

about something but i recall a thread

where we had a quarrel and somehow "got stuck"

on each other... i dunno if its still online

but it is really worth a read because of his

comments.

I have to add this was the best time i had

on RWG and it was too damn lovely hilarious...

even better than SEX!

I HAD TO COPY this because of future generations (children etc.)

this thread i recall was about "shopping for mbw in bangkok"

and it got OVER 2.000 HITS in LESS THAN 5 days!!

If there wouldve been ever a chart on RWG for

the thread with most hits in the shortest time THIS

will be definitely be under the TOP 3 if not #1!

For some strange reason i dont understand (till today)

i did manage somehow to surrvive wounded lol

and even though i tried my best (in the end) he

acted (and reacted) really goddamn cool and even tempered :pardon:

And yes, his photographic skills would make my granny

look like Raquel Welch :wub:

Aaaahhhh.... you know what??

No Popcorn!

Im getting me a drink right now :drinks:

George

I don't know, I wasn't the original poster, I'm simply commenting on his photography skills and obviously trying to find out what happened to him, are you aware of his situation? I'm reading your post but not understanding it.

I am aware and I do not understand it either. Certainly no one has contact with him on this Board. Nobody has reply to what happened to him yet. Anyway carry on.

Just a final word on TTK.

The Admin team here never believed that he was a scammer, there may have been some in the end that didn't receive their watches but that was more of a personal FU from Neil than an attempt to get free dollars.

We took the decision to suspend his trading as we saw problems arising due to his (at the time) illness, Neil unfortunately reacted badly to this and told our Admin in no uncertain terms what he could (and would) do if not immediately reinstated, hence his banning.

Despite his brash nature Neil had many friends on this board, including our Admin and most of the team, however there are lines that should not be crossed...

That said Neils problems were as a dealer and we would welcome him back at any time as a regular member.

Ken

Just a final word on TTK.

That said Neils problems were as a dealer and we would welcome him back at any time as a regular member.

lol @Ken

Well, pardon me if beeing too curious.

Is it just me that implies the following meaning

into your quoted above sentence or do you mean it like this:

-----> Neil is welcomed anytime as a regular member BUT NOT wanted(?) allowed(?)

as a dealer??

The reason of asking myself this question how you "meant"

this statement is due to the fact that ALL people know,

that letting Neil participate "only" as a Member and trying to

"stop" him from getting a dealer again is going to be

crowned with the same results as bringing in

"a rapist inside of a girls' boarding school" :winkiss::bicycle:

And pls dont get ME wrong, i would also like to have him

participating again... i guess you know exactly how i mean it.

It is not only like Neil "is", it is also the other side... and you

cant stop ppl trying to order from someone whos still regarded

as a "star"...

I really would like to hear if, you meant it that way that

he wont be tolerated as a dealer, just a member :)

And if it is like this - damn are u naive.

:drinks:

Anyway - nothing between us - greetings to Aussie as always Ken!!

George

@Teejay, you have over 7000 posts here whilst I have less than ten, now I'm fairly new here, but not to forums in general and what goes on in them, so, I took a quick shuftie through your posts and in reading them, wherever TTK is mentioned, there seems to be a lot of negativity regarding him, so I'm presuming that you're one of those that never received a watch from him, hence the negative posts.

You're quite right, I never received a watch from Neil, but that was because I never did business with Neil, and I never wanted to. The utter disrespect and hostility he showed towards myself and others on many occasions was more than enough for me to know I would rather burn my money than spend a penny of it doing business with him. As someone else previosly said about Neil, he was, what is referred to in the UK, as a gobshite. For all I read about people saying that off-forum he was a decent and charming man, I could not care less. My (and others) only experiences with him on forum were thoroughly unpleasant, that was all we had to base our experiences of him on, and I am nothing but glad that he is no longer here, as there is simply no need to be abusive or hostile towards others online 'for shits and gigs'. In my book, threatening the Admin is not acceptable. In my book, threatening to label a package 'fake Rolex' out of spite, in the endeavor to get it confiscated at customs, is also not acceptable. He once tried to intimidate me by PM on RepGeek, and when my reply to him showed him otherwise, that was the last interaction I had with him, and I couldn't care less if he is dead or alive, it makes no difference to me. Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but those are my honest feelings on the subject.

There is no 'between the lines' subtext about my post, I said precisely what I feel about the subject. I don't know if Neil is alive or dead, and likewise, I really do not care. I'm not saying I'm wishing him dead because of our past interactions, I'm not that petty, but as Katerchen pointed out above, if Neil is still alive, letting him back onto the forum would be unwise. He was banned for crossing a line which should not be crossed.

@baldrick

Yes, indeed your conclusion and 1on1 experience is a valid point

and i hope nobody is making fun out of a serious position he might

be still in because of his health issues but

if you "crossed a line" as Neil did threatening the admin team

and if you consider his ego and character...

there IS strong plausibility that a guy like Neil

would prefer to NOT come back again...

Apologizing is a road where a person with a strong/dominant character

as Neil had would feel like "loosing his face".

Thats why i think even if he could sign in,

he would choose not to walk on this road.

But this is just the conclusion of someone (myself)

not knowing him deeper than from disputes on the boards

and maybe 2 or 3 emails about watches, thats all.

George

@TeeJay, having now read quite a lot of your posts , I think I understand you now, I would say however that I got a lot more insght into watches and life in general from the long relationship I established with Neil way back on TRC and in the number of conversations I had on Skype with him,than from reading many of your posts, I see you're cup is overflowing with the milk of human kindness, funny. Neil mentioned quite a few members he had conflict with, your name never cropped up, I think I understand why, sorry if that comes across as harsh, just the way I see it.

You made your point clear. And we got it.

This last sentence sounds exactly like classic "Internet kookiness". If you were around back in the pre-Web Usenet days (in the early 90's) you know exactly what that means. Draw your own conclusions.

Feel free to praise Neil and repost his pictures but don't bother trolling around here. I didn't fall off the cabbage truck just yesterday.

Thanks.

@TeeJay, having now read quite a lot of your posts , I think I understand you now, I would say however that I got a lot more insght into watches and life in general from the long relationship I established with Neil way back on TRC and in the number of conversations I had on Skype with him,than from reading many of your posts, I see you're cup is overflowing with the milk of human kindness, funny. Neil mentioned quite a few members he had conflict with, your name never cropped up, I think I understand why, sorry if that comes across as harsh, just the way I see it.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by most of your post, but that's not really important :) I don't think your comment is at all harsh, and I certainly don't take offence by it. Likewise, my posts were not intended to cause offence. On forum, Neil was nothing more than a bully throwing his weight around to anyone he thought would not stand up to him. I have nothing but contempt for people like that. Likewise, someone who threatens to label a parcel so it will almost certainly be seized by customs, shows themself only as petty and vindictive, and someone not to be held in any kind of regard.

@TeeJay, I wasn't referring to your post, I was reffering to the posts from Katerchen and KB.

In regard to your feelings about Neil returning (if it's indeed possible), it appears to me that whilst you may have an opinion on the matter, you perhaps may have no say in it, at least that's what I determine from reading the staff and others opinion, as to the matter of whether Neil would or not return as a member only, I think it would be impossible for staff to prevent him from selling on here or elsewhere, I know if I had the resources right now and he was simply posting photographs, I would certainly be ordering, but that's based on my experiences and what I've had on my wrist over the years and not on perceived harsh words on a page, I'm not that precious. JMHO

I'm well aware that my feelings on the matter would have no impact on if Neil was to return or not. All I can say on that matter, is if Neil was allowed to return, I would certainly reconsider my contributions and participation in the community. Also, please do not use the phrase 'perceived insults' in such a manner. Neil was a bully, period. If you wish to hold someone like that in high regard, feel free, just don't expect others to share that opinion, or be quick to forget just how Neil behaved toward them for his amusement.

@Bytor

I don't know why you would think I'm trolling, my reponse was tailored to reflect the hypocrisy shown by the posters comments about unkind comments made by TTK, yet the poster shows a similar lack of sensitivity regarding perhaps the possible demise of a fellow human being, over what? fake watches!

My level of 'sensitivity' directly equates to the level of courtessy which Neil showed towards others and myself.

Fake watches maybe, people do not spend fake money to buy them.

Do you think it acceptable to threaten to label a parcel so it will be intercepted by customs? Yes or no.

Do you think it acceptable to bully, harass and threaten people on an online forum for personal amusement? Yes or no.

Lets make this clear, we will welcome Neil back as a member but he is (and will stay) banned as a dealer.

By all accounts that would hardly matter to Neil as I believe he got out of dealing before his operation anyway, but of course we have the means to stop anyone we want from dealing here, we would simply turn off PM privileges and as he is also banned from all the other forums that would effectively shut him down.

@Baldrick we have all heard the TTK angle on what happened here, I just gave you the facts.

Ken