When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swapping a MBK acrylic glass for a clark, any advice ?

docdoc

Heck I use a hockey puck to put mine back together so anything more gentle than that ought to be golden. :tu:

I use a tiny smear of silicon grease or even vaseline at the very bottom of the crystal, perhaps the bottom 1/8" or less, around the outside edge ... not the inside edge. Then when pressing the ring down, that lubricates the last smidgen to help it seat better and makes it less likely you'll crack the crystal. It also pushes a tiny bit of sealant between the case and the bottom lip of the crystal, to prevent corrosion from starting in that gap.

Press it down tight, and Robert's yer uncle. No worries.

Are you talking glass "glass" or plexi/acrylic crystal? The acrylic crystals are secured by a compression/retention ring that is pressed down over the crystal which "squeezes" it against the case. Make sure you don't tear up your original crystal as you may need it again. I tried a Clarks and a different T-19 crystal and found my compression ring slid easily over the Clarks crystal but I had to use a crystal press to fully seat the ring on the other one. I was afraid the Clarks would fall off, or at best leak. So much for standards and interchangeability. Someday I will machine a different ring that has a few thousandths small ID and install the Clarks...

I used an O-ring (like on a case back) under the compression ring. The inside bottom of the ring was slightly radiused and I felt this would give room for the O-ring and also compress it against the crystal/case junction. I have not been brave enough to toss it in a bucket, yet! I wouldn't think a fine bead of RTV around the crystal base would be out of line...

Just curious! Don't you guys use any adhesive on the inside of the glass.

I used a small bead of GS hypo cement for added water tightness. It's at least passed the swimming pool test.

P1000193-1-1.jpg

I did the same thing on my CN 5513 which also has the compression ring- worked fine in the pool. But I would think an o-ring and some silicone grease would be better in terms of reversibility.

If your crystal retaining ring is fairly hard to press down, and you use a tiny smear of silicon grease, that sucker will be plenty waterproof at the crystal for even shallow diving.

If, like JMB found, the crystal ring goes on too easily then your crystal thickness is wrong and it's not being squeezed on correctly. Likely this one will leak.

@docdoc,

If you decide to go the glue route, and you don't have a glue, think about using a UV cure glue like Loctite 358.

You will find it very easy to use(work with),it is very thin and "runny", dries hard in a few minutes in the sun, and cures in 24 hours. Acetone is a solvent to clean up if needed.

GS Hypo is also a good choice, although a little more difficult to work with, although that is in some ways made up for with the great little applicator on the tube.

O/S

• 5 months later...

I just put a Clarks Superdome in my MBW 1665 and had the same issue as JMB. I just used a ring of Hypo and the base of the rehaut placed the crystal on it, but the compression ring was a little loose, so I put a touch of epoxy and 12, 3, 6 & 9 and glued the compression ring down. Anybody see any issues with this? I am sure I can still get everything apart if needed, just wanted to see what the opinions out there might be...seemed a little janky to me, but it did the job and it looks great!

I always put down a tiny tiny thin bead of GS-hypo.. place the crystal where you want it and lightly give it an 1/8th of a turn so make sure you have a good seal and no gaps in the glue.. then press on your retention ring. Should be sealed up nice and tight after that :thumbsupsmileyanim:

dizz