When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review: Carrera Calibre 1 V2

Ok, I haven’t seen a gen in the flesh. Where I’m from Tag’s have positioned themselves as department store watches along with Tissot’s, Longines, Raymond Weil and (bleh) Rado’s. Out here you’ll find them alongside the “fashion watches”. Sure, high end AD’s carry some of these brands better stuff, but the public generally doesn’t consider these brands as high end because of this Department Store saturation. I checked my local high end AD’s but perhaps because of the above mentioned^ brand positioning, and that the Calibre 1 has a limited run of 6000, there were none available to peruse. So this review is based on my observation of the rep, and from gen pics I’ve seen online.

The gen marketing hype

TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 1 Vintage Hand-Wound

A Limited Edition of 6,000 Pieces. The first hand-wound mechanical movement in the TAG Heuer Carrera series since 1996, this limited edition of 6,000 watches hosts a movement that was historically used in the pocket watches of the 1960s. The polished steel case measures 43mm. The small second’s hand at 6 o'clock with a semi-circular graduation has a rhodium hand indicating 0 to 30 seconds and a red hand indicating 30 to 60 seconds. Clous de Paris decoration is used on the movement and on the rubber strap. The crystal is sapphire with AR coating, and it features a display back.

The Gen Specs

• Limited edition of 6000 pieces Mechanism historically used for 1960s pocket watches (i couldn't find any more deets on the movement than this - if you come across the actual movement calibre, please advise and I will add).

• 43mm in diameter.

• Small seconds at 6 o'clock - the semi-circular graduation reveals the rhodium-plated hand that indicates the seconds from 0 to 30 and the red hand indicating the seconds those from 30 to 60. The central part of the dial spotlights "clous de Paris" hobnail motif, also featured by the movement and the rubber strap.

• Interchangeable black alligator leather strap or black organic rubber

• Hand-applied hour-markers

• Glare-proofing of the sapphire crystal (AR)

• Polished hands.

• The refined mechanical movement admired through the transparent case back.

The Rep Specs

I always buy from Josh (prefect clones), so these are his specs. I see no reason not to give him a plug for great service. He’s a good guy, who fixes rare problems promptly, and he’s quick and professional with all my orders!

• TGCA00103 V2 Calibre 1 Vintage SS/RU Black Asia 6498 H/W - $198.00

• Limited Edition Calibre 1 Vintage. Made with a Genuine watch as Sample.

• Model : SS Polished Case, Black Hobnail Dial, Silver Numeral/Stick Markers , Rubber Strap with New Style Deployant Clasp

• Movement: Asian Unitas 6498 Manual

• Handwind Movement with Extensive Decorated Bridges

• Functions: Hours, Minutes, Seconds ( 6.00 subdials )

• Dimensions : Dia 43mm x 11.5mm Thk

• Material : 1 piece forged case construction, solid 316 stainless steel

• Back : Display Caseback with Case Rim Engraving

• Crown : One-piece Pull out crown with o ring

• Crystal: Sapphire Crystal, Double AR Coated Water-resistant

The Rep review:

First impression is that it’s a nice, stylish watch. Highly accurate to then gen and well made by the factories. The V2 has addressed the obvious flaws with the V1. The Minute hand is about a mm too short and should reach to the end of the hour indices. The Hour hand is short as well, but that is less noticeable. To be really picky, the red paint on the second hand should follow the curve of the hand–base (sorry, don’t know the correct term) as per the gen but the rep is painted in a straight line. It doesn’t look odd though, even though it’s incorrect - looking at the watch face as whole - it looks like that’s how it’s supposed to be.

Dial:

compar1.jpg

While considering the purchase my biggest concern with the dealer shots was the pattern of rounded squares in the middle (officially called “clous de Paris' hobnail motif) of the dial. It’s hard to capture in photos (unless taken by a pro photog, like the above marketing shot). But it’s there, done well and more pronounced than I was expecting from dealer pics. With only pictures to compare it to - it looks spot on to the gen. The “nodule” count is the same as the gen. Great! AR is good. I've got better, but it definitely works and doesn't have a blurple hue.

Hobnail closeup:

hobnail-closeup.jpg

Edit to add pic: after closer inspection, the AR as quite good actually, comparison shot with some random reps:

tagAR.jpg

Movement (picured below)

The Calibre 1 V2 sports an Asian 6498 hand wound movement. It’s my understanding that this movement is bullet proof and usually doesn’t require an immediate service. My pam113 uses the similar 6497. My WS has tested, probed and authenticated my 6497 that came from Josh also. He was impressed. Said it didn’t require servicing, is a great and sturdy movement and to only bring it in if it showed any problems. I hope the 6498 will prove as good.

Case back

I only had the shot below to compare to the rep but looks it looks good to me. Jewel colours and stamping marks all look accurate as compared to the gen pic. The same hobnail pattern marks the bridges and the case back ring engravings are better than most. Only one thing to criticise on the movement markings; the Tag Huer logo at the bottom (6 o’clock) is too fine or shallow.

tagback-compare.jpg

Strap and buckle

No crits here. The strap is soft, smells like bubble gum and the buckle is firm and locks tight. Unlike the other claims, such as the Sinn U1 rubber, this one really doesn’t collect fluff.

Of note here is the style of the strap, it’s unusual for rubber being thin and fine. The hobnail count is the same as the gen.

Buckle1.jpg

buckle2.jpg

Lume.

Crap. Worst rep lume I've had so far and the only real let down on the watch. It’s white in colour but glows green. Haven’t quite mastered the lume shot so here's a very bad pic of it. Charged for a few seconds with an led torch. For my mind there is an aesthetic balance issue with the gen design. It would feel more evenly weighted with lume on the seconds hands.

lume.jpg

Some random notes.

• Keeping time: Over the 6 hours I’ve had it, it’s second for second with my atomic g-shock, which is arguably, the most accurate watch in the world.

• Size: The watch is listed as 43mm for both gen and rep, however my calibrated electronic calipers measure it at 43.8mm, a reasonable and unnoticeable difference. 46.5mm with crown.

• Rubber strap: has a strange sweet smell, it’s not vanilla, it’s like a bubblegum smell. Like a scented school eraser. I like it.

• Very smooth sweep.

• Nice canon pin

• The gen red seems to be "firetruck red". In the flesh, the rep red is much brighter red than the under-saturated images in the dealer pics infer. I think it's pretty close. While it may be a touch too dark i don't think even even a gen owner would notice.

Criticisms: Very little to be picky about for my eye. There is something a little strange on with the crown profile. It looks as there’s a micronic gap between the crown as case – like it’s meant to screw down, but doesn't. Some google pics of the gen seem to show the same thing though and it's not listed as screw down. Couldn't get a decent pic, so here a pic of the crown itself:

crown.jpg

My personal opinion of the watch:

Not my usual my style. I’ll wear this occasionally for smart casual or even dress, particularly with a leather strap. From a design perspective (One of the professional hats I wear is in design, balance and weight are high concerns), the band as compared to the buckle seem unbalanced or unweighted. The rubber is narrow and thin, yet the buckle is relatively bulky in comparison. You can see this in the wrist back shot above. The gen has this same balance problem as well so it's a design aspect where the rep accurately mimics the gen.

Other than that I can’t fault it, and would love to hear from anyone who can pick any. Being a nUb I’m not really qualified to label any watch as “super rep”, but I can say that the quality of build and accuracy puts it on par with the awesome SOH rep. I have a feeling that this and the SOH are probably the only reps I own that could be passed off as gen - they are both that good.

Addition: Mine came packaged with a spare strap. I’m not sure if this is a dealer mistake as I also have a rubber strap on order for the FM king, or it supposed to come two straps. Will post back once I get an answer from Josh. Here’s a pic of the strap on it’s own. Edit: yep it was dealer mistake - woohoo! I scored a free strap

band.jpg

Some wrap up shots

extra-7.jpg

extra2.jpg

extra3.jpg

extra5.jpg

extra6.jpg

wrist.jpg

Hope its of some use!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude Big Thumbs up on this onethumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks for putting the effort in on this one great to see the comparison.

They have certainly put a bit of effort in on the movement, I actually think its one of the better looking Tags, but who knows why they charge so much for it.

Im actually tempted because its a pretty good value rep from what youve shown us

thanks again

ST4

Thanks guys! Let me know if there's anything else you want know or would like a pic of.

The great news is that the clasp damage I spoke of was actually grease. I thought it was damage as it couldn't be removed with a finger or rag. But a bit of isopropyl took care of it.

The other great news is that the extra strap was a mistake. I offerred to return it, but was told I get to keep it!

Sweet! Anyone know the correct way to store rubber so it won't deteriorate?

Very nice. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Ive had my eye on this one for a while...love the look of it. It's nice to see good reviews of some TAGs, there are some damn good reps out there, plus its my personal favorite brand. Hopefully this one will end up in my box soon enough.

Thanks for the great review! :good:

Wow, thanks By-Tor. can you do me a favor and edit the thread title from "Carrera Calibre 1 V2 Carrera Calibre 1" to "Review: Carrera Calibre 1 V2".... copy and paste error.

Done.

man i realy like it :) but let me ask you this mastrmindalliance , did you trid it on a leather or another strap, and wich aftermarket leather strap would fit on that watch?? cause i realy like it, but i dont know if the rubber is something for me :)

and can i use the deployant thats with the watch and put a leather strap in it? someone know??

thank you

man i realy like it :) but let me ask you this mastrmindalliance , did you trid it on a leather or another strap, and wich aftermarket leather strap would fit on that watch?? cause i realy like it, but i dont know if the rubber is something for me :)

and can i use the deployant thats with the watch and put a leather strap in it? someone know??

thank you

Hi Deniz, Not yet, i spent my last day off in the CBD trying to find a strap that would fir through the deployment, But as the existing rubber is very thin, and deplotment gap also thin, I couldn't find one.

I'm going to find (a black) one with unbranded buckle or deploy on my next day off and will post a pic for you.