When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex DSSD and issues with the Glidelock design...

Bansenshukai

Someone I know recently purchased the Rolex DSSD "Ultimate" V5 from one of our "Cartel" dealers. It's an excellent rep. Well, just the other day, while at work, he had it on a bit too tight and when he twisted his wrist to pick up a heavy box, snap, the DSSD just fell off his wrist onto the floor. Luckily, it fell on its side and did not damage the crystal or bezel and the movement seems unaffected. When he showed it to me, the "Glidelock" was clean broken at a portion that attaches to the curved part that has the word "Rolex" inscribed on it surrounded by some artistic lines.

Upon looking at it, I just thought, "Well, it is a rep, after all." But, when I got home, I researched the issue and found that his actually has happened to gen owners of this type of the clasp. Of particular interest was a 10 page thread on the Rolex forum where a gentleman had kindly provided close up pictures of the mishap. He claims that he was just wearing it normally - perhaps a bit tight, I bet - when he flexed his wrist, it snapped in the exact same spot as my buddy's rep DSSD clasp.

It turns out that Rolex simply used spot welding on a very weak and crucial part of the bracelet. Imagine this happens to you while diving; the watch would be gone! Anyway, I provided some pics that actually come from the original thread on said forum.

rwgbrokenglidelock1.jpg

Here, you can notice where the gen watch clasp failed. On the rep, it failed on both weld areas. You can see the area that indicates a spot weld on the detail enlargement picture to the right; essentially a crater is left behind. [Note: The pictures above are all from the gen Glidelock clasp, NOT the rep.]

rwgbrokenglidelock2.jpg

This a diagram from Rolex pertaining to the Glidelock clasp design.

I'm sure I've seen someone else post about a Rolex clasp failing in this way... Not sure if it was a glidelock, or just the new GMTIIc-style, but it was the exact same point of failure. I guess this is an example of why people shouldn't wear a bracelet too tight, and a bit of an irony that the old oyster clasps wouldn't fail in such a manner, the metal would simply stretch :lol::pardon:

"I wonder whether more argon welding on that soft spot will help our clasps... :p"

I have a friend who laser welds jewelry and I asked him about this exact repair last week because I traded into a DSSD and knew about the shoddy clasp design. He looked at it and said he had never repaired anything in stainless but might try if it falls apart.

We agreed it looks like a :animal_rooster: sheeit design job on the bracelet.

He does good work as I had a vintage 14k square Benrus that some Bozo wore with a gold plated steel Twist-O-Flex bracelet and it chewed up two lugs. He repaired them using the laser and you can not tell the lugs have been repaired. What is 'cool' is that he did it with the movement and acrylic crystal still in the case! The case does not get hot...only the spot where the laser is directed on the lug.

I still think the biggest irony, is how I (and others) used to complain about the oyster clasp being 'cheap and flimsy', and that Rolex never truly innovated in their designs, and now they have done that, and come up with an (otherwise) awesome clasp, it fails in a way which an oyster clasp never could :lol:

I like this model and the glidelock clasp is a marvel in form and function :clapping: - Especially when compared to Rolexs clasps of the past :yuk:

But - the same thing occured to me - there are so many parts in there and it felt a little like there may be a weak point - I wasn't 100% sure to trust it especially on a rep...

So the old fashioned stamped clasp may not look very good but it sure works well...

• 2 months later...

the same fail for my bracelet. replica blue ceramic sub.

amazed to know now that the gens have the same desing in bracelet.

completely unacepted for gen rolexes to have such ridiculous desing in bracelet!

the entire watch sits in two small welded pieces of metal...

The solution or better to say -prevention, is to not overtight the screw between these welded parts. That is why it might break. Better use Locktite and avoid it. :bangin:

Edited by PolonusTM

I saw a thread on timezone about this exact issue on a gen. The little lug is just welded on. That would suck to lose a gen DSSD or Submariner because of this. yikes!

So far so good for all the versions I've had- none of them have broken. I always wear mine a little loose so I can't see how this would happen to mine, unless I got it caught on something. As far as wearing it to work with, I've got some nice "cheapie" watches to wear instead. :) A rubber strap will take care of that problem in no time! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I saw a thread on timezone about this exact issue on a gen. The little lug is just welded on. That would suck to lose a gen DSSD or Submariner because of this. yikes!

I read it too and it made me wonder how a big time watch company that brags about their watches being rugged would make such a chickenship clasp joint. :animal_rooster:

A few years ago a friend lost a submariner (16610) while diving, probably springbar failure. They never found the watch in 60 feet of water. I told him a 40 pound catfish got it.

Next, he fell off his Harley D and ground down a TAG auto chronograph.

Now he is a Seiko guy.

I would rather trust a $200 Seiko or Citizen diver to stay on my arm and keep the extra $9k in the bank.

Imho rolex is overrated same as home cookin', 357 magnums, and Cadillacs.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone I know recently purchased the Rolex DSSD "Ultimate" V5 from one of our "Cartel" dealers. It's an excellent rep. Well, just the other day, while at work, he had it on a bit too tight and when he twisted his wrist to pick up a heavy box, snap, the DSSD just fell off his wrist onto the floor. Luckily, it fell on its side and did not damage the crystal or bezel and the movement seems unaffected. When he showed it to me, the "Glidelock" was clean broken at a portion that attaches to the curved part that has the word "Rolex" inscribed on it surrounded by some artistic lines.

Upon looking at it, I just thought, "Well, it is a rep, after all." But, when I got home, I researched the issue and found that his actually has happened to gen owners of this type of the clasp. Of particular interest was a 10 page thread on the Rolex forum where a gentleman had kindly provided close up pictures of the mishap. He claims that he was just wearing it normally - perhaps a bit tight, I bet - when he flexed his wrist, it snapped in the exact same spot as my buddy's rep DSSD clasp.

It turns out that Rolex simply used spot welding on a very weak and crucial part of the bracelet. Imagine this happens to you while diving; the watch would be gone! Anyway, I provided some pics that actually come from the original thread on said forum.

rwgbrokenglidelock1.jpg

Here, you can notice where the gen watch clasp failed. On the rep, it failed on both weld areas. You can see the area that indicates a spot weld on the detail enlargement picture to the right; essentially a crater is left behind. [Note: The pictures above are all from the gen Glidelock clasp, NOT the rep.]

rwgbrokenglidelock2.jpg

This a diagram from Rolex pertaining to the Glidelock clasp design.

Yes ..wow my GMT ll and my brother's basel sub broke in exactlyt he same place ...I thought the same ..rep or no rep I have only had the watch less than 6 months for both models... Funny ..I placed a drop of epoxy and placed the pin back in and works great. But I am disappointed as you were.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey this happened to me too. Exact same thing.

Dealer sent a replacement clasp and the new one still works. ;)

I would be writing letters if I owned a gen DSSD that failed in this way :g:

Hey this happened to me too. Exact same thing.

Dealer sent a replacement clasp and the new one still works. ;)

I would be writing letters if I owned a gen DSSD that failed in this way :g:

This just happened to my new Ultimate DSSD that I've only had for 6 weeks. It only came loose on 1 of the 2 lugs.

Probably my own fault,,,Was chopping wood with it on.

What sort of epoxy should I try? Is JB Weld the best??

Any help is appreciated.

John

This just happened to my new Ultimate DSSD that I've only had for 6 weeks. It only came loose on 1 of the 2 lugs.

Probably my own fault,,,Was chopping wood with it on.

What sort of epoxy should I try? Is JB Weld the best??

Any help is appreciated.

John

ANYONE?

If you are going to try gluing it then probably the slow dry JB-Weld is about the strongest. Degrease very well with acetone or lacquer thinner, apply to both surfaces, and clamp tightly. Allow to cure 24 hours before jacking with it.

If you are going to try gluing it then probably the slow dry JB-Weld is about the strongest. Degrease very well with acetone or lacquer thinner, apply to both surfaces, and clamp tightly. Allow to cure 24 hours before jacking with it.

"the same fail for my bracelet. replica blue ceramic sub.

completely unacepted for gen rolexes to have such ridiculous desing in bracelet!

the entire watch sits in two small welded pieces of metal..."

I made a remark earlier about genuine rolex bracelets and looking back, I believe rolex has totally lost their direction and is no longer interested in making 'tool watches' at all and is now 100% in the fashion watch business while using their past exploits to hype their modern watches.

The milgauss and explorer might be considered modern 'tool watches' but imho the only TW they still make is the no date submariner.

Anyway...I have a friend who has a laser jwelry welder and he said he would be willing to try to weld stainless steel with it. I will see if I can find something similar to the broken bracelet brackets and let him have a go at it.

He repaired the lugs on a 14k watch case for me a while back and they were flawless when finished. He did not even have to remove the plastic crystal to do the job...hard to believe.

Someone had a Speidel Twist-O-Flex bracelet on the watch for years and the spring loaded bracelet ends chewed the lugs up.

"the same fail for my bracelet. replica blue ceramic sub.

the entire watch sits in two small welded pieces of metal..."

I made a remark earlier about genuine rolex bracelets and looking back, I believe rolex has totally lost their direction and is no longer interested in making 'tool watches' at all and is now 100% in the fashion watch business while using their past exploits to hype their modern watches.

The milgauss and explorer might be considered modern 'tool watches' but imho the only TW they still make is the no date submariner.

Anyway...I have a friend who has a laser jwelry welder and he said he would be willing to try to weld stainless steel with it. I will see if I can find something similar to the broken bracelet brackets and let him have a go at it.

He repaired the lugs on a 14k watch case for me a while back and they were flawless when finished. He did not even have to remove the plastic crystal to do the job...hard to believe.

Someone had a Speidel Twist-O-Flex bracelet on the watch for years and the spring loaded bracelet ends chewed the lugs up.

Let me know how it works out, I could send some work his way.

Thanks

john

"Let me know how it works out, I could send some work his way."

I asked about it again today and he said for me to to round up something similar to what I need done and he will give it a try. I may take a couple old style bracelet hoods and see if he can weld tubes in them for 2mm submariner springbars for a start.