When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you say thanks? I will find a way......

Justasgood

Well,

If I had any prose ability or photographic skills this would be easy......but I don't so bear with me.

As Ubi posted in his thread:

I sent the man a box of frustration. As you may or may not know, I have been a watch collector/appreciator for well over 30 years. I found a home here at RWG as a result of my passion for watches.....period. What I found far exceeded my expectations on every level......but mostly by the relationships I have forged.

My life has been on a very bad roller-coaster for the better part of the last 4 years. In the past, members (Omni, Star, Mike and others)here have reached out to me and in return, only asked that their kindness simply be repaid "forward" by me. I hope that I have held my end of the request and I am sure my issues pale in comparison to most but they still beat me down on a regular basis. Anyway, a recent change in diagnosis and treatment for my 8 yr. old daughter has caused a shift in my focus and a need to raise some money. Now in my day, this would have been an easy task by selling my body.....but that is a story for better times. My watches are like children but when my children have needs, my watches are a liquid asset. My depression of the situation and my waning desire to play with watches as the sell-off began, led me to reach out to Master Ubi.

The conversation with Ubi was very uplifting and I felt really bad dumping my box of unfinished projects on him. But he insisted that it was no big deal.....so off it went.

No need to re-hash what Ubi has already posted but I will say that he left out a lot of what he endured to bring what follows to life. I know that he went through much angst, anguish, frustration and $$$$. Now, I had no intention of this man doing anything other than finding a way to cobble together a wearable timepiece....to say he accomplished that would be major understatement.

When I received the package, my hands were shaking as I attempted to open the box. Before I laid eyes on the watch, I had to wipe away the tears that started as I thought back to our conversations and recalled the thread referenced above. And even though I saw the completed project as reflected in Ubi's post, somehow, it no longer looked like a watch to me. It now represented the kindness of a man I have never met and the soul of a community that in many ways, I owe my life to. This watch now represents the kindness of humanity and the strength of the human soul when touched by another.

I owe this man on a spiritual level because his friendship and commitment to this project can never be repaid.

Ubi, I love you man....in a strictly horological sense of course.

And now, my feeble attempt to share a few really bad pictures:

002-12.jpg

004-14.jpg

009-11.jpg

011-8.jpg

012-8.jpg

013-6.jpg

014-8.jpg

016-5.jpg

Thanks for reading this and allowing me to be a part of a family that is unmatched in it's knowledge, kindness and love for all men.

God bless each and every one of you and and a very special thanks to the man that I hope to meet one day, Ubi. You are the best, Thanks.

By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,

Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;

It yearns me not if men my garments wear;

Such outward things dwell not in my desires.

But if it be a sin to covet honour,

I am the most offending soul alive.

No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.

God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour

As one man more methinks would share from me

For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!

Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,

That he which hath no stomach to this fight,

Let him depart; his passport shall be made,

And crowns for convoy put into his purse;

We would not die in that man's company

That fears his fellowship to die with us.

This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.

He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,

Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,

And rouse him at the name of Crispian.

He that shall live this day, and see old age,

Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,

And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'

Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,

And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'

Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,

But he'll remember, with advantages,

What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,

Familiar in his mouth as household words-

Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,

Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

This story shall the good man teach his son;

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,

From this day to the ending of the world,

But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Kurt,

Reading this post, and knowing your appreciation of the watch is all I could ask for. Keep doing what you're doing, and I'm hoping that the good days to come for you and your loved ones are just around the corner :)

BTW, you should have something else arriving today...

@jmb- This one almost had a catastrophic shipping incident, as I tracked the parcel 700 miles +/- south of it's destination on the day that it was to be delivered. Thankfully, it was rerouted and back on track for the next business day...

Thank you for letting me be a part of this one.

All the best,

R

Crap, R! Does Kurt live on the edge of some sort of horological black hole/Bermuda Triangle sort of thing!? :shock: Those who know of the Postal issues involved with this project have to wonder... :whistling:

What a story to grace The Rolex Forum here at RWG! :)

The simplicity of what a kind gesture has transpired into the work of art by RWG's Rolex Resident - Ubi!

Enjoy the 5517 Milsub Kurt! I am sure this one will be glued indefinitely to your wrists for the rest of 2010 ;)

Having read Ubi's chronological events couple of weeks back never cease to amaze me.

Brilliance, sheer Horological Synaesthesia ....hands down.

thats exactly why i am here :group: R you are a awsome dude :) EXACTLY LIKE THE MAN WITH THE SAME NAME :good:

double R´s :1a:

and kurt, all the best to you, i dont know you..but after reading all this about you, i realy can say that you deserved it :drinks:

sometimes this little things can change your life, everything happens for a reason kurt, always remember that, as a good friend said to me one day...take the good out of the bad B)

..always remember and never forget that..

best

deniz

This is a great story and this forum defines the meaning of "community". I joined less than 6 months ago and have received nothing but great help and patience from many members. With that I have learned much more about watches in the last 6 months than I have in the last 20 years about the mechanisms of watches.

And with stories like this, it brings comfort to me that there are still many decent people in this small planet of ours.

Ubi, although I have never met you, you are a great bloke and you have created a fantastic watch.