When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A REMINDER / WARNING TO ALL...

TwoTone

Seems that there have been a higher than usual number of individual scams lately...

Not just here on RWG but on all the boards...

The common thread I've been noticing is that they're being perpetrated by newer members...

Watching one closely right now that isn't looking very good by a guy that just joined the forum in December...

Please use common sense when trading and buying...

Also, don't hesitate to vet the member...

If they're not willing to let you vet them, then walk away from the transaction...

When we vet high dollar transaction requests, here are the things we look at ~

• Verify home address & telephone number [both of these should be in the their name]
  • Check references [don't just ask for them, but actually talk to the peeps via PM]
  • Get their eBay ID and review their feedback - then send them a message via eBay to confirm it's them
  • Ask for other forum ID's and check them out - like TZ, etc...

Don't be taken...

Be smart...

"Caveat Emptor" - Let the buyer beware

Double T

Please use common sense when trading and buying...

If they're not willing to let you vet them, then walk away from the transaction...

Don't be taken...

Be smart...

Wiser words were never spoken.

And that we have our mod team actively overseeing transactions for the good of our members goes above and beyond IMO. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks,I think we all need a little reminder every now and then to remain vigilant, What some of lose sight of is there are folks out there who would rather make a dollar dishonestly than make 2 dollars honestly.

I have not sold anything for years but have made my first member to member purchase after two years. All went very well. To keep it smooth, we have to stay sharp. So I don't think it out of line to ask for some info with who you are dealing with (be it the seller or buyer),

Good to have threads like this occasionally to keep this hobby safe.

I joined in December and have a FS thread at the moment so i hope you dont mean me.

Its terrible to see people out to take advantage of others in a community that has been built on helping others enjoy a shared hobby.

As an honest seller i dont see any problems with providing appropriate levels of information about myself if i expect people to hand over money to me.

Anyone who does - probably shouldnt be trusted !

This does not help when the peep scamming you is a 06 member :black_eye: but good advices i use the above when buying on TZ.

Thats very true Dani, that one suprised everyone. :shock: It just go's to show you that even If a member has good feedback and has been around for a long time, thats still no 100% guarantee that all will work out well :g: Mike

@ Double T: isn't it something to think about putting your post in a sort of 'sticky' part in the trading zone?

As I see here in this thread, most members who write something here are long time members or vip/platinum, who most likely will not get scammed as easily as newer members with less knowledge about reps.

Just my 2 cents.. :)

Agree and agree; so what happened to the feedback system that disappeared when the board went down?

At least some some record of positive transactions.

Personally, I just wait for bwhitesox, hikeUSA, hackR, eunomians, and a couple others to sell, don't even care what watch it is.

And at this point I will eat a couple of my watches before I go thru the sale nightmare.

And please give this baby a sticky.

What about a "feedback rating" system like RG has started using? Not sure how it is actually working out over there but it is something that some varioation might be of benefit if it is not to tough to implement on the backend. Although new to RWG, I have bought and sold on Ebay for 13 years and value my 100% feedback rating greatly and only buy/sell to people with a solid track record.

As a noob, It is starting to get easier for me to know who is on the up & up here on this forum (my favorite btw....) and have purchased about 20 reps from trusted dealers and members. Luckily, all have been great watches (although some better than others) but I'm learning that when someone like HackR or Excelonman sells me a watch, I know it's tip-top, and know what to expect from trusted dealers as well. That just comes with trial /error but if we had a feedback system of some sort that showed on your Profile name, similar to a Reputaton rating or such at other forums, but limited to buy/sell ratings, it might help us all to have a quick glance at the level of ethics we are dealing with in that person. Maybe even a star system rated on: 1) Quality as described 2) Prompt and well packed shipping 3) Overall satisfaction Not even sure if any of that is possible, just a suggestion.

thanks for the kind words, JC and panther... :drinks:

i don't explicitly state it, but some of us offer money back and/or work with buyers on sales if there's an issue...sometimes, what may be a hairline is a big deal to someone...sometimes what i think is dust is a tiny scratch/scuff...i don't microscop a piece i sell nor can i describe every mark...and there's always marks...anyhow, i wear my pieces - most of them - so there's bound to be "imperfections"...but everyone has a different toleration level...i try to stick with folks i've dealt with and/or members i've "seen around" that i feel are members and not transients...this is a community afterall, i believe and support that!...

i also let members know that i'm more than willing to reveal my name and address and contact info...especially for higher priced pieces...learned this from Hike...we became friends because we spoke directly on a piece...and now i'm very pleased i can call him up on a quiet friday night when i need advice on how to toast a PAM dial just for fun!...

with anything - due diligence and a degree of educated gut feel...

now panther - truth is....the Oris coming your way doesn't have a movement...did you want one?... :huh:

@ panther

we were one of the first to have a feedback system and it worked well (when people took the time to use it) but unfortunately it was a third party add-on to the board software and tied to an older version so when we upgraded the board software we lost support for the feedback system

@ Double T: isn't it something to think about putting your post in a sort of 'sticky' part in the trading zone?

Just my 2 cents.. :)

And a good 2 cents it is Hooky...

Once it's ran its course here in GD I'll move it and sticky it...

Thanks!

Do we know who that person is? if so we need to disclose the info so others won't get hurt.

The loop is designed to be a warning in general...

However, this loop is one of the more recent issues that prompted my post...

Double T