When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 dial graphic. Nearly ready?

Slartibartfast

Well after a fairly good response to my latest dial decal topic whic you can catch up on here, I have decided to see what further possibilities there are with this technique, and have taken By-Tor up on his suggestion below.

Great work!

Hey, you really should try making a 1680 red Sub dial. I've never seen a good rep/aftermarket dial. It would be really interesting to see the results.

http://images.antiquorum.com/212/full/358.jpg

http://images.antiquorum.com/213/full/357.jpg

So, here is the first draft of my 1680 dial graphic, on which I would invite comments from those who know.

1680-draft-01.jpg

There is no font smoothing applied yet, or the correct colour match. That will come later, but first the font, spacing, font size etc etc must be fine tuned. If anyone has any further reference material they can point me to, that would be appreciated.

After the graphic is finished, it is then simply a case of printing out a sheet of decals, and away we go.

So common, don't be shy! Let's have some constructive feedback. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certainly not a expert but it looks great to me.

One remark i think that the coronet and the 12 o'clock marker don't line up correct.

The coronet should be shifted a little to the right at least that's what i think.

This sounds promising and i will keep watching this topic if this one goes into production.

Maybe a nice price for the first repsoning on your post ??? :whistling:

Let's wait for the real experts.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Looks pretty good, but you'll want to add the little 1/4 height tick marks at :29 :30 :31, right under the SWISS - T < 25 ;)

I also agree that the coronet should be moved to the right just slightly. Keep the 'L' in rolex where it is, as it should be slightly off center of the coronet...

Looking like you are off to a good start. I agree with Cats. The coronet is out of position and needs to be shifted to line up with the 12 o'clock indice.

Here's a good photo of a nice looking Red dial for comparision:

EDIT: Pic removed......just because I'm a dumbass :D

red-

That's a current 1680 lumi service dial ;)

Just realized that! Oops! I was looking at it thinking there was something wrong with it, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I was searching so much for a nice large pic, I didn't even pay attention to the subtle little things that were missing (like the Swiss - T<25)

:blush:

Now this is a post i will be following, i wish i could add to it but dont see any faults. wow this could be cool, how ever if ytou want any dial blanks to test print to i have a couple here from CWCs i can clean off for you but i can look into new blanks if required

Looking nice, but check the letter "A" in your font. The red "A" in SUBMARINER is close, but the gen font has a flat top. Your letters "R" are pretty good with the "broken leg" drop to the right. You'll want to add subtle serifs to the rest of the letters.

Great start! :tu: Here's mine.

post-32-127119695174_thumb.jpg

OK, so thanks for all the comments.

Second draft now shown below.

1680feetfirst-02.jpg

Items tinkered with, include.....

12 o'clock marker centered above crown

Minute markers added below "SWISS-<25"

Flat topped A's added to text below depth rating

Serifs added to text (though at this resolution, not easy to see)

Depth rating text thickened up a bit

OK so how's it looking? Any other pointers? Shout out loud guys! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Looking good :) It might just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but looking at the actual watch dial on pg1, I would say that the depth rating text is marginally thicker than 'Superlative Chronometer', so it might still be worth adding a little more beef to the depth rating, but other than that, I'd say it's looking tip top :good::drinks: