When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Choices..

lanikai

Not about watches really.. but I thought it apropos to post this up in the GD section.. since "choices" are our main concern at times.. not only with what watch to purchase.. but also a lot of decisions about what path to take in life.. and what is the "right" decision to make..

Take a minute please to read through this..you may find it heart warming..

Two Choices

What would you do?....you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line,

there isn't one. Read it anyway. My question is: Would you have made the

same choice?

At a fund-raising dinner for a school that serves children with learning

disabilities, the father of one of the students delivered a speech that

would never be forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school

and

its dedicated staff, he offered a question:

'When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does,

is

done with perfection.

Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot

understand things as other children do.

Where is the natural order of things in my son?'

The audience was stilled by the query.

The father continued. 'I believe that when a child like Shay, who was

mentally and physically disabled comes into the world, an opportunity to

realize true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other

people treat that child.'

Then he told the following story:

Shay and I had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were playing

baseball. Shay asked, 'Do you think they'll let me play?' I knew that

most

of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their team, but as a

father

I also understood that if my son were allowed to play, it would give him

a

much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be accepted by

others

in spite of his handicaps.

I approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not expecting much)

if

Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and said, 'We're

losing

by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on

our

team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth inning.'

Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile, put on

a

team shirt. I watched with a small tear in my eye and warmth in my

heart.

The boys saw my joy at my son being accepted.

In the bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but

was

still behind by three.

In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and played in the

right

field. Even though no hits came his way, he was obviously ecstatic just

to

be in the game and on the field, grinning from ear to ear as I waved to

him

from the stands.

In the bottom of the ninth inning, Shay's team scored again.

Now, with two outs and the bases loaded, the potential winning run was

on

base and Shay was scheduled to be next at bat.

At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win

the

game?

Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat. Everyone knew that a hit was all

but

impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly,

much

less connect with the ball.

However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that

the

other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life,

moved

in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make

contact.

The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed.

The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly

towards

Shay.

As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball

right back to the pitcher.

The game would now be over.

The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could have easily thrown the

ball to the first baseman.

Shay would have been out and that would have been the end of the game.

Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head,

out

of reach of all team mates.

Everyone from the stands and both teams started yelling, 'Shay, run to

first!

Run to first!'

Never in his life had Shay ever run that far, but he made it to first

base.

He scampered down the baseline, wide-eyed and startled.

Everyone yelled, 'Run to second, run to second!'

Catching his breath, Shay awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and

struggling to make it to the base.

By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had the

ball . the smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to be

the

hero

for his team.

He could have thrown the ball to the second-baseman for the tag, but he

understood the pitcher's intentions so he, too, intentionally threw the

ball

high and far over the third-baseman's head.

Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him

circled

the bases toward home.

All were screaming, 'Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay'

Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him

by

turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, 'Run to third!

Shay, run to third!'

As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators,

were on

their feet screaming, 'Shay, run home! Run home!'

Shay ran to home, stepped on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who

hit

the grand slam and won the game for his team

'That day', said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face,

'the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity

into this world'.

Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never

forgotten being the hero and making me so happy, and coming home and

seeing

his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!

AND NOW A LITTLE FOOT NOTE TO THIS STORY:

We all send thousands of jokes through the e-mail without a second

thought,

but when it comes to sending messages about life choices, people

hesitate.

The crude, vulgar, and often obscene pass freely through cyberspace, but

public discussion about decency is too often suppressed in our schools

and

workplaces.

If you're thinking about forwarding this message, chances are that

you're

probably sorting out the people in your address book who aren't the

'appropriate' ones to receive this type of message Well, the person who

sent

you this believes that we all can make a difference.

We all have thousands of opportunities every single day to help realize

the

'natural order of things.'

So many seemingly trivial interactions between two people present us

with a

choice:

Do we pass along a little spark of love and humanity or do we pass up

those

opportunities and leave the world a little bit colder in the process?

A wise man once said every society is judged by how it treats it's least

fortunate amongst them.

You now have two choices:

1. Delete

2. Forward

May your day, be a Shay Day.

The Special Olympics are holding fund raiser's all summer ling to raise money for the special kids.. to give them the opportunity to feel a part of the rest.. the next time you see a Special Olympian outside a super market.. please listen..

he or she has laboured to learn their lines.. and by giving a minute of your time to them .. you have given the gift of life to someone..

now you may ask why I post this in the GD section ??..

This is the RWG way weather you realize it or not.. this is what makes this community more than just watches..

WE CARE.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanks for reading.. and please do pass this on.. all over the world

AC/Lani

I have read this and started writing and deleting about 5 separate times trying to really convey my feelings (especially being the first to respond). My uncle is mentally and physically handicapped and participated in Special Olympics for a good part of his life. As a younger, much more arrogant man I didn't really take the time to understand him even though I did volunteer all the time. The story that Lani shared is a great summation of his life; He would trade all the years he has had on this Earth to be "normal" like us just for one moment, one day, or one at-bat. I was embarrassed by him. As I grew up, struggled with menial crap (life, career, etc, he was always my biggest fan and is to this day. I have the extreme pleasure of taking him to two baseball games next week. I am a better man for having him in my life. Sometimes you get a second chance to make the right choice.

Thanks for the story Lani.

I am not generally an emotional kind of person, but that story brought a tear to my eye. Thank you so much for sharing that Lani. It really brings to perspective what our lives can truly be about! I was really touched by that story and I look forward to sharing it with my friends and family.

In society and life, it is very easy to become cynical and jaded with age and experience; it's messages like this however, that remind me that being a better person should be a way of life, and not just something one practices or makes a best attempt at doing. It absolutely puts things in perspective, and is but one example that perhaps even the smallest of kind gestures from the heart may have long, life changing effects on others.

Thanks for the message, R. After having had a very long, difficult day I've had a bit of a sour attitude in general this evening. It's unfortunate for me that this message comes just as I'm about to go to bed, but tomorrow's a new day, and at least I can start with a fresh perspective...

I am crying and I am not really sure why:

Is it because I feel sorry for Shay and that he didn't get an equal chance at life or because I am happy that there are still people that care.

Maybe because I am happy that my children are lucky.

I had a pretty bad day myself today (traveling home, the car is still not back from the shop, had to take a rental, the power was out in half the country, bats have moved into the attic of my restaurant and the last days rain has turned the road up to my house into a mud-slide and managed to seep through my roof).

But reading this makes my problems look so insignificant.

Thank you Lani

We are parallel once again... I feel ya R.. Today was definetly a day to put behind ..

When things get crazy.. I need to get or of "self" and see how these kids handle their issues.. They are not bitter or angry.. Like I can get .. So they are the teachers here..Tjey teach me the meaning of humility ..They don't view themselves as "disabled" .. So whatever I go through.. It kinda is forgotten when I talk to them..

these events do so much for the family of the kids.. To see the joy and accomplishment and pride on their faces ...

Is something that money cannot buy..

Like this community .. There are things that go on here that amaze everday

Every time I see one of these stories it makes me want to hold my little girl close and offer up a silent prayer.

Shay had precious little time after that day, but every boy in both the teams (not to mention the spectators) would be able to carry that special day in the hearts throughout their adult lives.

Thanks lani.

Ken

I have a job with the state that's basically about denying an uncounted number of people less fortunate than myself and everyone I know what they crave the most. It tends to make me and my subordinates hard because too much compassion makes the work unstandable. There's not a day where I don't ask myself why I do it.

I try hard in my spare time to do some good. Lani, your story shows (among many other important things) that we do not need to try hard at all sometimes. It's actually often the small things that make a difference.

Thanks for posting it. I will - with your permission - use it to discuss ethic values with my team.

Kind regards

Valerian

If everyone of us would offer the smallest act of kindness towards another human being, the world would become a better place

We all need to strip away from our lives that have been written down for us by others, we are not our problems, we are the solutions to whatever may come our way

Thanks for sharing Lani, I wish everyone would forward this story, cuz u never know what strikes that cord that could change a person's life

:evil2:

Thanks for posting it. I will - with your permission - use it to discuss ethic values with my team.

Kind regards

Valerian

Please do Val... It's meant to be passed on

I have an old wood plaque in my bathroom that I have to view when I'm in the seated position :lol:

it reads something like ..." I expect to pass through this world but once, any good therfore that I can do or act of kindness that I can show my fellow creatures, let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again ."

it is supposedly by an anonymous author..

And I have run by many who have this little plaque .. I need remining at times ...being human ... Reminding of that is a good thing

friends who work with the mentally disabled ... Naturally become used to issues as a job... But my hats off to them ... They Do It day on and day out .. It is more than just a job..

I just think giving a fraction of your time to "listen" instead of talk to these kids is worth much more to them.. And me..

:cry2: that was the first thing i was reading this morning, and even when i never met this great little boy, hes in my heart now.

i personaly know also a guy that is mentally handicapped, i know him when he was a child and your realy right lani, They don't view themselves as "disabled" and thats the way i treat them as long as i can, i mean in some cases you have to take care. but not everytime.

eveytime when i see him cycling with his bike in our little town where i live, he comes to me, a smile on his face :) and thats a thing that i love so much on him, on a rainy day ... he smiles :) , when hes new white shoes get dirty ... he smiles :)

he is younger then me, but he shows me from time to time, what the life is all about, we all take to much care of small little things, and sometimes we forget what is important in life and to be a better person.

so everytime i see him, it reminds me, not to take everything so serios, not to laugh over people who have handicaps and to treat everyone with respect and try to help them when you can.

thank you very much for writing this for us R , you did it again you waked us up , its nice to have you :) thank you.

all the best guys and take care

deniz

Thanks very much for posting this lani. If you can read this and not have a tear in your eye, then perhaps you need to step back and reevaluate why you are here in the first place. This is a wonderful example of mans kindness to fellow man.

I believe that if you live your life with the premise that when you draw your final breath you can truthfully say,I did my part however small to make the world a better place, then you can go peacefully, knowing that your life was a success.As Lani's plaque says,You only pass through once. Life is not like a movie, you don't get a "Take 2". You have to do it right the first time, because there isn't a second chance.

Thank you Lanikai, I have read this story before and It is trully touching. It gives one pause, to stop and think, feel, to trully look at whats Important In life. This story may mean different things to different people. For me It helps restore my faith In the human condition. Believe me my faith has needed some restoring, thanks :) Mike

Thanks Lani, that was really good.

If anyone's looking for a way to get involved in the lives of others, I can't recommend the Boy Scouts highly enough. There are lots of Special Needs kids in the ranks, and lots of boys who don't have a dad. Each of us can make a lifetime of difference and the boys would love to get to know you.

Here's the top of Wolverine Peak, six of these young men made Eagle Scout.

PICT0142.JPG

Be Prepared!

Thanks Lani, that was really good.

If anyone's looking for a way to get involved in the lives of others, I can't recommend the Boy Scouts highly enough. There are lots of Special Needs kids in the ranks, and lots of boys who don't have a dad. Each of us can make a lifetime of difference and the boys would love to get to know you.

Here's the top of Wolverine Peak, six of these young men made Eagle Scout.

PICT0142.JPG

Be Prepared!

I couldn't've said it any better myself :) The Scouts is a fantastic organization, and fills a lot of different voids for different people :)

I spy a Platypus water bladder :thumbsupsmileyanim: I keep one by my bed incase I need a drink in the night, and it certainly saves knocking a glass over :victory:

Absolutely right, TeeJay. See that look in their eyes? That's priceless. There are scout troops in every corner of every city it seems, and even if you're not the best at pitching a tent or tying knots, they'd still love to have you come see what's up. Be a merit badge counselor or lead a hike. Sing some songs and act goofy with them... you'll probably have more fun than they will! Just jump in and do it. You'll never ever regret it.

Absolutely right, TeeJay. See that look in their eyes? That's priceless. There are scout troops in every corner of every city it seems, and even if you're not the best at pitching a tent or tying knots, they'd still love to have you come see what's up. Be a merit badge counselor or lead a hike. Sing some songs and act goofy with them... you'll probably have more fun than they will! Just jump in and do it. You'll never ever regret it.

Indeed, that's the look of pride, self-esteem, and what comes from those things, respect for one's fellow Man :victory: Sadly, most of the kids in my area look like they're either drugged or about to mug someone :whistling: Ironically, they're the ones who would probably gain the most from Scouting, as it would fill the voids their lives are obviously lacking... Kudos indeed to all those who give their time to this fine organization :victory:

Nanuq has given so much to the youth... Incredible !!!

Coaching young athletes has always been rewarding .. It is always gratifying to be a part of that... But to turn a troubled young man from a life of drugs and gangs is something that eclipses the trophies of sports ... All it could take is one moment of clarity to do that for someone that has come from a disadvantaged enviorment.. Or make one challenged kid feel like they matter in the world...

It's being done everyday by the "Nanuq's" that give unconditionally...

One kid at a time... The rewards will last a lifetime!!

Tee Jay ... You have so much to give!!! Looking forward to hearing about it :)

TeeJay that's some tough stuff, to try to rescue some of those kind of kids. Every one of them has an open door somewhere in their life but wow is it hard to find sometimes.

Did you see Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood? There's a good example. Tough to do though!