When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM's not hot anymore

P4GTR

When I first arrived here I thought they were strange looking, didn't care for them. Once I started doing some research and loving everything Italian, have you seen there women? :shock: OMG, back on topic. Well there one of my favorite brands now, maybe my favorite. I have three, 111, 250, Flyback Regatta. I really think there beautiful, some maybe more than others but I love that funky CG, white boy :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

I suppose that a good indicator on their popularity is how many of the listed reps on the secondary market are actually selling :) Or new reps for that matter?

Might also be an interesting study to view this from the gen perspective as well.

There will always be a loyal following of the brand in either rep or gen sectors :) But there may be a number of people getting bored with them as well (as with most any watch design, one can only do so much with the same styling year after year). And, sometimes people move things around to get an updated or improved version as well...

T'is a difficult trend to guage...

pams are hot B)

but i think not everybody can wear them ;) you need style for a styler like the pam

maybe because of that so many sales, but i can say i will never sell mine, specialy not after the new crystal from the sunny hawaii and a great friend :)

dsc06564e.jpg

dsc06560m.jpg

dsc06575v.jpg

and who can resist an sexy italian a$$? i cant :lol:

dsc06548u.jpg

take care guys

pams are hot B)

but i think not everybody can wear them ;) you need style for a styler like the pam

maybe because of that so many sales, but i can say i will never sell mine, specialy not after the new crystal from the sunny hawaii and a great friend :)

dsc06564e.jpg

dsc06560m.jpg

dsc06575v.jpg

and who can resist an sexy italian a$$? i cant :lol:

dsc06548u.jpg

take care guys

Nice Pam Deniz, almost as nice as that Italian a$$, whussssssssssssss up, true :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hike! That is a beautiful collection you got! Truly awesome dude!!!

Thanks, DudE!

At first I thought you meant Pam Anderson, the old gal has seen better days :g: PS.. I still do her :D

Mike, have you been watching her @Dancing with the StarS? She doesn't look too bad for her age.....and if you do her, just remember she goes for "Horse Meat!"

Never understood PAMs, never owned one, never will. Just a personal taste thing, really.

But I guess Ubi is right. It's pretty much the same thing with Rolex and Breitling. Most models are simply too much alike. For example if you already own a Skyland I don't know where you need a Chrono Avenger or Super Avenger, unless you're a big Breitling fanboy (I'm slowly becoming one lol). They're very similar.

I think TAG Heuer is the most adventurous luxury watch manufacturer right now. They constantly come up with something different. I don't like all of their new designs but at least most of their new ones have been pretty adventurous.

The sales forums are a muck with PAM's, whatever you make of it. I'm Italian, and I've got one. They're so similar to me, I don't need a bundle. One is fun!

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

I think TAG Heuer is the most adventurous luxury watch manufacturer right now. They constantly come up with something different. I don't like all of their new designs but at least most of their new ones have been pretty adventurous.

I've got a Carerra on the way. mmmmMMMmMmmMmMMsdodkdfbhaldkmasdfmMMmMMMMMMM!!!! :phone:

P4GTR

I think you raise a good point, but I think there is a wider issue at hand, with respect to the sales quite a few seem to be from the Highly modded Pre A variety and I think people have has 1 or 2 pre Aprojects on the go and once they've finished its like OK well that was fine but the journey was the fun part the actual watch can be taken or left and so gets put on the market.There also seems of been a few cheapo versions for sale and people have upgraded to higher quality versions. I don't really see that many Mid range reasonable quality versions for sale that often.

I'm a PAM fan I have had a few but I have noticed a real change in the PAM forum of late, seriously apart from the on going 253 212 debates from what I can see No one is buying PAM's anymore maybe the odd GMT from DSNand 1 or 2 have got the PT Ti Rad but no one is showing anything new from Josh orlikes. Pete M started a thread back on the 233 and 270 there was like 2 members with them and don't even start me on the 123 this was a grail of mine for so long and when it comes out I cant even be arsed getting one because I've become so anally retentive that the date font isn't good enough etc etc its only a188$ and has a near perfect CG which sell for 80$ on the used market alone.

Basically the pursuit for perfection has sucked the spontaneous cheapo fun out of the panerai rep arena, unless it's a Jimmy'd up, V CG'd, FGD dialled and PVD by 80 year old Italian virgins version 99% close to a gen that took 2 years to put together and crossed 4 continents in it build , then noone puts them up for show. Seriously the PAM forum is quite an intimidating place to tread these days and I don't foresee there being a great set of new PAMS coming out of china simply because its doesn't look like they are getting bought anymore. Sad but true , I give thanks to DSN at least he tries every once in a while.

well you guys are going to love this recent article (see below) from askmen.

Stop Wearing Panerai

The Watch Snob is in.

You may think you know watches, but let's be real -- you just don’t. Let me, a true horological aficionado, enlighten your plebeian minds as to what makes a real watch, what you should wear when and what to do with those old watches of yours. All the opinions expressed by the Watch Snob are my own, and are just that -- opinions. Don’t worry, though, AskMen will still be bringing you great features on interesting watches to buy, both old and new, expensive and cheap. For now, let the Watch Snob reign.

Dear loyal Watch Snob readers,

I am taking a week off from answering your common -- and sometimes downright silly -- questions to get something off my chest. Each and every week I receive dozens of e-mails that sound a lot like this:

“I’m a recent graduate of state school X and I am about to start a career in some boring, suited-up field. I want a watch that I think will give me a personality even though it’s apparent to all that I do not have one. Should I buy a Panerai? I once saw a guy driving a BMW with a hot blond sitting shotgun wearing a Panerai or a Breitling (they’re huge and flashy) -- and that’s how you attract attention, right? Please advise, Watch Snob.”

Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? It should because you probably wrote me one of these messages. However, as of right now, I will not be answering anything that sounds remotely close to the above. Get over the hackneyed, mainstream choices and move on to something real. There is nothing, and I do mean nothing, worse than a young man who wears a Panerai watch. These watches were cool five years ago, and even then they were only cool if you were Italian (and I don’t mean Jersey Shore Italian -- I mean actually a resident of Italy). Sure, Sheamus had a Radiomir back in 2004, but after one week of wrist time and the type of attention he received, he ended up trading it in for a vintage Rolex Submariner. If you think wearing a Panerai is cool in the year 2010, you probably also think you invented the boat shoe and the ironic mustache trends.

If you want to know what I think is on the polar opposite end of the authentic and cool spectrum, look at anything from A. Lange & Sohne. This German uber-manufacture is making the best men’s watches in the world right now. Its Datograph is likely the greatest chronograph movement ever made, and it’s just as great to look at as it is to feel start, stop and reset in your hand. If you’re a man of distinction, a man who really has the world by its throat, you need a Lange on your wrist. A Panerai is child’s play -- a cheap toy worn only by clowns. Yes, I said clowns.

Now that I have told you what I think about Panerai once and for all, and also who I believe to be the ne plus ultra of the horological world, can we stop with the recommendation questions?

Sincerely,

The Watch Snob

Yes the PAM fad is dead, so please go back to wearing your Rollies, Bangers, and APpies. Leave the PAM wearing to those of us with poor taste and an inability to wear anything less than 44mm in size. I was starting to worry that the Panerai brand was on its way to becoming too popular, it's good to see that it is heading back in the direction of being a design that only a select few of us enjoy and appreciate. :)

EDIT: Oh and the reason I have recently put up for sale a few of my PAMs, is simply because I had two or three builds of the same model so I figured it was time to finally decide on a favorite and make some room for the new offerings ... if they ever do materialize :whistling:

well you guys are going to love this recent article (see below) from askmen.

Stop Wearing Panerai

The Watch Snob is in.

You may think you know watches, but let's be real -- you just dont. Let me, a true horological aficionado, enlighten your plebeian minds as to what makes a real watch, what you should wear when and what to do with those old watches of yours. All the opinions expressed by the Watch Snob are my own, and are just that -- opinions. Dont worry, though, AskMen will still be bringing you great features on interesting watches to buy, both old and new, expensive and cheap. For now, let the Watch Snob reign.

Dear loyal Watch Snob readers,

I am taking a week off from answering your common -- and sometimes downright silly -- questions to get something off my chest. Each and every week I receive dozens of e-mails that sound a lot like this:

Im a recent graduate of state school X and I am about to start a career in some boring, suited-up field. I want a watch that I think will give me a personality even though its apparent to all that I do not have one. Should I buy a Panerai? I once saw a guy driving a BMW with a hot blond sitting shotgun wearing a Panerai or a Breitling (theyre huge and flashy) -- and thats how you attract attention, right? Please advise, Watch Snob.

Sounds familiar, doesnt it? It should because you probably wrote me one of these messages. However, as of right now, I will not be answering anything that sounds remotely close to the above. Get over the hackneyed, mainstream choices and move on to something real. There is nothing, and I do mean nothing, worse than a young man who wears a Panerai watch. These watches were cool five years ago, and even then they were only cool if you were Italian (and I dont mean Jersey Shore Italian -- I mean actually a resident of Italy). Sure, Sheamus had a Radiomir back in 2004, but after one week of wrist time and the type of attention he received, he ended up trading it in for a vintage Rolex Submariner. If you think wearing a Panerai is cool in the year 2010, you probably also think you invented the boat shoe and the ironic mustache trends.

If you want to know what I think is on the polar opposite end of the authentic and cool spectrum, look at anything from A. Lange & Sohne. This German uber-manufacture is making the best mens watches in the world right now. Its Datograph is likely the greatest chronograph movement ever made, and its just as great to look at as it is to feel start, stop and reset in your hand. If youre a man of distinction, a man who really has the world by its throat, you need a Lange on your wrist. A Panerai is childs play -- a cheap toy worn only by clowns. Yes, I said clowns.

Now that I have told you what I think about Panerai once and for all, and also who I believe to be the ne plus ultra of the horological world, can we stop with the recommendation questions?

Sincerely,

The Watch Snob

:lol: Thats some funny [censored] right there. The watch snob dosent have a clue as far as Im concerned. I think Pams are way cool. But I like the Watch Snob, he funny :rofl: