When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lets talk about RWG baby

P4GTR

I think the membership core is older in RWG. I don't mean the physical age, but we have been into reps and watches for so long... and we all pretty much own all the watches we always wanted. At least I can say that.

Maybe that's why the traffic has gone down... we already have everything? Pretty difficult to write new reviews when you don't purchase any new watches, huh? And as someone said earlier, there haven't been many new mainstream watches released.

If only they released some popular super rep... like a vintage GMT 1675 or 42mm PO, the place would be on fire again. The last huge hit was probably Skyland.

I never liked the forum vs. forum stuff myself... actually I find all that politics a waste of time. I have very good friends in all forums and I try to visit them all. It's the people and watches that matter, forum skin doesn't mean much to me. That being said, RWG is my home as well... TRC/RWG was where it all started for me, and the original "spirit" all transformed here. We have very unique chemistry in the admin team too... sometimes we talk very straight and disagree with eachother, but it never goes to personal level.

In my case it is simply a matter of life away from the forum being busy over the past 6 months. And with summer here, my time is mostly spent outdoors trying to enjoy what little outside weather I can, before the crapy winter and rain sets in all too soon...

I simply don't have the leisure time I once had for doing up detailed posts like I once did. I do try and read and comment when I can, but my available time is very limited and will continue to be so until late August.

No doubt that RWG is my only home and I still think it has stayed the course, that is to take care of the members and their interests and provide unbiased information on the watches themselves. I don't think any other forum can make the same claim.

I also think we have a much more mature membership who take more value in the quality and stick with their watches and the upgrades to them instead of jumping from one watch to the next willy nilly...

I also think we have a much more mature membership who take more value in the quality and stick with their watches and the upgrades to them instead of jumping from one watch to the next willy nilly...

I agree entirely with this appraisal. That is also one of the reasons I come here.

I have learned so much from reading posts here (reading, reading, reading).

That being the case, I visit almost daily, enjoy what I see, but only post when I have something (hopefully) interesting to say.

Might be why I have been here over 4 years but am only at 800 posts.

Doesn't make this place any less of a success IMO.

All good points! I spend the majority of my time here (99%), I just feel more at home! I've said it before, it's the members that make this place great!

The search feature could always improve and viewing RWG at work seems to have delays for some reason, but at the end of the day...once the weather gets warmer, there are less posts and the frequency of visits decline. It's just the nature of the beast! We have a lot of winter up here, so like The Zigmeister, when it's nice...I'm outside as much as possible!

In life, there has to be a good blend of Vitamin D & RWG ;)

My 2c as a relative noob to this hobby... I'm a member of all the rep forums and this one has taught me the most. This place is like an archive of information. I didn't even really know how a watch worked a few months ago and I had a couple gens then. Now I have more reps than gens and I'm modding and servicing them myself thanks to the info here. The other forums have good stuff too, but i mainly go to them for sales forums to see what's on the market.

Quality vs. quantity...

My 2c as a relative noob to this hobby... I'm a member of all the rep forums and this one has taught me the most. This place is like an archive of information. I didn't even really know how a watch worked a few months ago and I had a couple gens then. Now I have more reps than gens and I'm modding and servicing them myself thanks to the info here. The other forums have good stuff too, but i mainly go to them for sales forums to see what's on the market.

Quality vs. quantity...

Fantastic! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think the membership core is older in RWG. I don't mean the physical age, but we have been into reps and watches for so long... and we all pretty much own all the watches we always wanted. At least I can say that.

Maybe that's why the traffic has gone down... we already have everything? Pretty difficult to write new reviews when you don't purchase any new watches, huh? And as someone said earlier, there haven't been many new mainstream watches released.

If only they released some popular super rep... like a vintage GMT 1675 or 42mm PO, the place would be on fire again. The last huge hit was probably Skyland.

+ 1 totally agree..

Very true Zig. I definitely find myself being more focused. Reorganizing. It took a couple of years worth of experimenting to find out mylikes and dislikes though. (imagine if they were all gens? Oi vey!)

Id rather have a handful of really nice, maintained, pieces, than a watchbox stuffed full of pieces I might not ever wear.

Thanks for all the replies. They all seem to carry the same message. The team here is a true success story, a round of applause for you guys! :clapping: I am glad to see my E-neighbors come around for a little discussion about the neighborhood.

Trying to stand by my convictions, I just placed an order with one of our trusted sellers, Mary (watchinternational). Trying out someone new here on RWG that i've never talked to before, instead of venturing too far off.. This is home, afterall. No offense RWI, you just never forget your first love. :wub:

It's the least I can do after stirring up the pot. I think we all needed to hear this though, and I hope people enjoyed what they heard. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

While I certainly miss seeing posts from contributing older members (Pugwash?) I don't feel that the post count is low on a daily basis. When I come home from work, there are always at least 120 New Posts created overnite and during the day. I agree that the lack of new watches is a problem, overall.

edit: yes Watch International is awesome. She just procured for me a handful of Cartier Pasha Seatimer watchband screws for my wife's piece, as well as the normal excellent service she provides with reps.

I'm a member on all 3 forums. I originally signed upto RWG1 but my good friend TeeJay introduced me to this place, and the rest as they say is history :)

This place just feels "natural" to me and is my rep forum home. I can't quite put my finger on why, it just is..

This is my home. I visit the others but rarely post (hell...lately, I barely post here). I find the other boards generally have less interesting posting. I have a low threshhold for boredom, and notice it more on RG or RWI.

There seems to be more relevancy to the posts here. High quality, less volume.

and that's fine with me.

I don't mean with the following point to say the others are light on, hell we all need to have fun at times and I know I can be as stupid as the next guy but....

Remember POTR?

That was a brilliant piece of community work that couldn't have happened at one of the other boards, to put it simply, anywhere else (and I include most web based forums here) he would have just been some guy, to us he was a brother.

Ken

Well, as a 'super No0b' in both time and post count around here, all I can really say is that this community is pretty damn good just the way it is.

I've popped in and out of a few other Rep Forums, but like others have already said, RWG is home.

To comment on the traffic issue, I need to admit, I don't jump in too often......but I'm here and read pretty much every day. My PM counts are likely higher by far then my thread posts. <_<

I'm admittedly new to Reps......I've been a Gen kind of guy my whole life and used to think of Reps as very cheap paper weights you bought from a dude in a trench-coat on the street corner.

Until I started tinkering in watch/clock repair and cost myself more money than I care to divulge (my wife might be watching :whistling: )

Now I find Reps (and this community particularly) a prefect fit to my hobby.......and my wife is pleased too. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by Iron Mike

Quality vs. quantity...

+1

and what Zigmeister wrote in his last paragraph as well.

I prefer the maturity of this forums info and posts. I peeked at RG once and might look again when they update their polls for best reps, but that about encompasses my interest in that forum. Plus visually it lacks some finesse.

Thank you for the reviews, watch checks and primers (Zig's movement one esp) guys. It helps me learn. And fwiw, I visit this forum as the last webpage I read everynight. A mellow and classy place to end the night, i think.

Edited by cvstos

I am not here much due to no $$, so by that i don't like to be tempted to use money i don't have as an addict of RWG, i em i still here at times :p

about the other forums i really don't see anything they have that we don't have, here its mostly about quality postings and projects and after i stopped messing up the off topic section its more relaxed at least in the admin corner. :rofl:

Lets all :group:

This is why RWG is my home, because of all the great members here, and the way we all look out for each other. The other forums are OK to check sales listing and things, but the content here is better by far :)

Also, we are free from the scammer/asshat PWC/T4D! :)

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?p=1226272&posted=1#post1226272

What are the odds that thread will disappear soon? :p

"So my question is, where the hell is everyone? And why?"

I was on the old RWCC back when it was hot (relatively speaking), and it went away.

I was on TRC from the beginning (member 43), it rocked, then it went away.

Now I'm on here and...

I hope it's not me. :black_eye:

I think there is an ebb and flow to forums and this one is currently in an ebb. I agree it slows traffic down to have to pay to trade but that's the way it is for now.

I paid RWG a couple years ago and would pay again but I have closed out my credit cards etc because of attempted identity theft and credit card hijacking so I no longer trust anything on the internet involving account numbers.

My problems had nothing to do with RWG.

I still get calls from an idiot screaming and demanding $6000 owed on some sort of Pontiac I never paid for...and never owned.

I told him the check was in the mail and he kept calling.

Last time he called, I told him to get off his fat azz and come and get it.

Now I'm afraid to answer the door. :animal_rooster:

Yep, thread closed over on Repgeeks, and I will probably be banned :lol:

PWC even went so far as saying I get cut cheaper deals by dealers, so I can sell them on the boards for a profit! The forum mods over there let him do as he pleases, such a shame to ruin what could be a good forum otherwise.....

Funny, the last post from the mod saying I was warned, oh the irony :p

In fact I have asked to be removed from the forum, I dislike the low standards the peeps who run that place keep to.....