When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lets talk about RWG baby

P4GTR

T's post about the traffic numbers on RG being shady has had me thinking. Whatever the case may be, RWI/RG are much busier lately. Not a lot happening here. So my question is, where the hell is everyone? And why?

Love our admin but are you guys into reps at all anymore? We've got trailboss running RWI now, and offshore has some good dealings in GZ for tools. What are we doing? what about Kenberg? Is there anyone that can finds us some more...

Trusted dealers: Theres a lot of trusted dealers doing well on other sites. Is it possible we can find some new blood? You've got T4D posting great deals every few days on RWI, and a few others that are doing really well at what they do. Whats the position of RWG2 on this situation? The issues with a couple of ours dealers not allowing competition, or scaring them away from participating? Send em packing! Everyones doing fine without them. They have every means available to them, more than any. Why not tighten up and stop sending premium priced DOA's? I'd like to see some new blood, and probationary status's, QC requirements, etc. Especially if dropshipping is going to continue.

Ease of rep trading between members: Members here have to upgrade to trade/sell watches, whereas they do not on the other two. Trading, brings traffic, which brings banter and community. I want banter and discussion. If that means free watch trading, why not?

Forum software: My work PC displays this site very erratically, hides much of the functionality when posting. Say what you will but the search function simply does not work as well as it once did. Others have problems accessing this site as well. Much of the traffic is weekdays at work, where users are forced to run IE.

I dont see many many familiar faces anymore. Hell even Lanikai's gone, which accounted for 50% of the traffic. :lol:

I'm just standing in the driveway of one of my favorite E-homes and wondering what the hell happened to the neighborhood. I'm glad to be a part of many communities, but I started here, and just wanted to get some thoughts out in the air. All due respect, as I consider those who run this place excellent people of character and even friends. Nothing I wouldn't humbly ask in person to any of you if I had the chance. I myself have been around less, and before I vanish with a *poof* like so many others seem to have, I wanted to open up some dialog.

Good questions...this deserves a good talking over....it must have something to do with the enetrtainment or lack of it :) ...maybe we have seen it all too many times and grown old?

Hell...I love this place :wub:

Gunnar :drinks:

Interesting post P4!

There are many things afoot here which will become evident fairly shortly. We do keep working to enhance the experience.

Although..... whilst the volume of posts may be less than elsewhere, the quality still remains at its high level.

Maybe we just have more serious collectors, who don't get so involved in all the trivialities?

One point I can categorically make, is that the amount of business which flows into my tools business, is twice as high from RWG2, than any from other forum! Again...more serious collectors?

Offshore

This forum is my sole home. I've visited other forums in the past, and have even had some participation here and there, but my home is undoubtedly here.

There may be more traffic and discussion on the other sites, but I'm not certain that as a whole, the content of which is entirely relevant to watches (which is why I come here). I don't think there is a more technically oriented forum for reps out there; by this, I mean getting into the technical aspects of watch mods, watch building, etc. The truly hardcore folks post their findings, their builds and share their experiences here.

You do have an excellent point on trading and sales; seems as though fewer transactions take place here vs. the other forums. That type of activity absolutely brings in more traffic.

I have also had some frustration with the search engine. Not the most intuitive, but I think these are issues that could be cleared up with software upgrades, perhaps?

One thing I will say- The foundation that Admin built is solid as a rock. Everything from the membership, to database and forum stability down to the personal beliefs and values of our Admin and Moderating team. We're in good company here.

Definitely an interesting point you bring up P4, and I would agree that at times it seems as though traffic is a little down. I am a member here and RG, and I keep trying to read through some of the posts over there, but I just don't find any of them contain any real substance. (No offense intended here at all). I am a firm believer in more quality postings vs. quantity. There are certainly more than enough postings here day to day, week to week, and month to month to keep me more than occupied. Don't really have much interest in all the fluff to be honest. Of course, that's just my 0.03 :D

I also started out on RWG in 2005, under a different name...don't ask why I had my reasons for a fresh start

I always called RWG home and I intend to contribute as often as I can - like in the old days mostly with pictures and reviews :p

If you look at my pictures from the past you might figure out who I was back than B)

cheers

WR

Definitely an interesting point you bring up P4, and I would agree that at times it seems as though traffic is a little down. I am a member here and RG, and I keep trying to read through some of the posts over there, but I just don't find any of them contain any real substance. (No offense intended here at all). I am a firm believer in more quality postings vs. quantity. There are certainly more than enough postings here day to day, week to week, and month to month to keep me more than occupied. Don't really have much interest in all the fluff to be honest. Of course, that's just my 0.03 :D

All that coming from a man who went from an average of like 40 post/day his first year.. to a quite 4 or 5 these days... :whistling: haha. just kiddin red!

I think all of your points are valid P4. I've seen the forum go through lots of ups and downs over the past 3 years. (like you have). In the end, it's all about human connections.. It's funny how the absense of some of the forums Key members can have an effect on the "liveliness" of the forum in it's entirety. But ultimately, it does. Another factor is definitely the number of new reps that have been released this year. (next to NOTHING!). Granted the other watch sites still seem to get higher sign-up rates and general activity these days.. The content generally tends to lean towards.. "I want to buy this".. "I want to sell that"... "who makes the best..?", etc.

All of those questions are part of the territory, but in my personal experience I feel that the other forums are more empty in substance than what we have here. We're definitely more laid back and slower paced, but I like it that way. Sometimes banter is great, but sometimes it's nice to know that our community really does behave like a community and not some no-rules internet forum.

I find our community a bit like Madrid (my city) .. I find it depressing and annoying sometimes that everyone in the month of August is gone.. Sometimes random weekends will feel this way too. The city sometimes feels like a ghost town, but sometimes the times of quietness are what inspire people to come out of the woodwork. And it gives other members who might not be soo well known an opportunity to speak up and get to know a lot of us, while not being constantly overshadowed by big intimidating posters like some of us are!

Hola from ESPAÑA!

I find my level of interaction depends on what's under discussion, and how much I have to contribute myself. At the moment, without any new watches on the way, or projects actually in progress, due to lack of funds, all I can really contribute is the occasional answer to a question, or some general chitchat if the opportunity arrises :) There's only so many times I can post photos of the same watch in a week :lol:

I also think it's important to remember look at who's chimed in on this thread... we all have over 1500 posts.. and are all very active here.

I'd venture to say 90% of most threads and topics are here are started by fewer than 300 dedicated members of our community..

While it may seem inactive and boring to us.. for the other 90% of people on the forum, this forum serves as a wealth of knowledge and information and without commitment to comment or contribute to the "banter". Just because us "post-whores" 8) of the community are taking a break, doesn't necessarily mean the community's demise or downfall. 90% of members are still out there lurking.. reading.. studying and absorbing. Our past and present conversations are more helpful than ever to soo many more people than we realize!!! :good:

Maybe we just have more serious collectors, who don't get so involved in all the trivialities?

100% agree. We seem to have the largest amount of killer frankens here and watchs modded with Gen parts. Less kids... If I had to guess the average age here is mid/late 30's -vs- 20's-early 30's elsewhere. More maturity here...

This forum is my sole home. I've visited other forums in the past, and have even had some participation here and there, but my home is undoubtedly here.

I have also had some frustration with the search engine. Not the most intuitive, but I think these are issues that could be cleared up with software upgrades, perhaps?

Ditto. Back to the quality over quantity.

Search engine...Yes it sucks (sorry to be blunt [ducking]). BUT just use Google Site search: site:rwgforum.com (search term). eg type this in Google. site:rwgforum.com ubiquitous

I also think it's important to remember look at who's chimed in on this thread... we all have over 1500 posts.. and are all very active here.

I'd venture to say 90% of most threads and topics are here are started by fewer than 300 dedicated members of our community..

While it may seem inactive and boring to us.. for the other 90% of people on the forum, this forum serves as a wealth of knowledge and information and without commitment to comment or contribute to the "banter". Just because us "post-whores" 8) of the community are taking a break, doesn't necessarily mean the community's demise or downfall. 90% of members are still out there lurking.. reading.. studying and absorbing. Our past and present conversations are more helpful than ever to soo many more people than we realize!!! :good:

I couldn't agree more! It's gotten to the point where I check this forum at least 5 times throughout the day. :) I'm just trying to grow my collection in a well thought out and researched manner. Believe me, if money and time would allow, I'd love to one day catch up to some of wise old ones here with massive collections, simply amazing customized pieces, and a wealth of experience and stories to boot. I really do appreciate the posts and the contributions you all make!

Cheers,

M.

I couldn't agree more! It's gotten to the point where I check this forum at least 5 times throughout the day. :) I'm just trying to grow my collection in a well thought out and researched manner. Believe me, if money and time would allow, I'd love to one day catch up to some of wise old ones here with massive collections, simply amazing customized pieces, and a wealth of experience and stories to boot. I really do appreciate the posts and the contributions you all make!

Cheers,

M.

No... YOU DA MAN! Keep it up Mac! :victory:

Again good points P4 but as offshore has stated we constantly address this within the Admin area.

The fact is that although we have many good things coming your way every time we discuss traffic flow the consensus is that we aim for quality over quantity.

T's post was never about who is the biggest but more about something he feels very strongly of, an Admin team lying to it's members.

We have no doubt (and have known for a long time) that RG will one day pass our membership numbers if they grow at the actual rate (not the doctored one) that they have and thats fine by us as we obviously don't cater, nor have any intention of doing so, to the breakneck speed crowd.

Those that joined our board when we first started will remember that at the time we rocketed along faster than any board, before or since, what has happened over the intervening years is that we have molded the board along the lines of what our senior members enjoy.

Oh and BTW kenberg is fine he is just quite busy with family life these days so his evil twin KB has taken over. :D

Ken

Well said, everyone. There's a lot of good perspective here.

Consider also that many noobs may well feel intimidated and won't ask what seem to be hopelessly ignorant questions. And I can understand that, the level of skill and knlowledge here is staggering, to say the least. If you've spent any time at TZ you'll no doubt be smarting from someone's sharply worded reply to a question. Or a harsh observation about a treasured piece you posted up. Who wants to get stung like that again? And considering the amazing talent and knowledge here, how do they know it won't happen? Aren't snobs the ones to bite back? How do they know we're not snobs until they stick around awhile?

This place is all about community and sharing knowledge. We gotta put on our big boy boots and jump in. Problem is, you don't know how deep the puddle is until you jump. Lots of folks just aren't willing to risk that jump. So that sort of weeds out the non-community minded anyway. What we have left are the ones who "get it". They feel how this place works and pretty soon they make a brave first post and BAM they're part of who we "are" here at RWG.

We few, we happy few, we Band of Brothers.

Like most others posting on this thread, I too feel as though this Forum is my home. I am here daily, reading thru a variety of threads.

That being said, I also feel that I am posting much less than I did 3 or 4 years ago, mostly because I feel as though i have less to offer than many of the serious collectors, and modders that frequent this place.

Additionally I must say that I have less money to spend on reps than I did 4 or 5 years ago. The cost of a premium rep is much higher than it used to be, and the cost to mod is way off the charts.

The true Dr. Frankenstein's that have the expertise to mod their own pieces have a great advantage over mullets like me that have to spend hundreds with Dr. Z or others, with the want and ability to turn the run of the mill rep into a thing of beauty.

Along the same lines, I find that I have less and less want in ordering new reps. Quality not quantity is now the rule, where as in the early years, I bought everything that came down the pike in an effort to try and discover what I REALLY liked...what I really needed. In the past two years I have bought only 3 watches, two of which were worthless. However I am always hoping to find that special deal for that special watch. Whatever that might be.

I hang around here mostly because I am constantly amazed by the people that contribute to this forum, their genius, combined knowledge, and my love for beautiful watches. Although I don't have as much to contribute as they, I most likely will be a member for life.

too true mate. People like me, who don't have the tech know how to contribute to much in the way of threads, other than a token comment now and then, find this place like gold! It would be interesting if there was a "read" count, to compare with the "posts" count. I think it would give a great indication of how many people are lurking...

thanks to all you high-functioning members!!! We appreciate it.

matt

It would be interesting if there was a "read" count, to compare with the "posts" count.

thanks to all you high-functioning members!!! We appreciate it.

Now there's an interesting idea....although I'm sure others would find a way to "fudge" the figures rolleyes.gif

Dunno if its possible or feasible though??

O/S

P4GTR, I commend you for bringing up the possible negative points that RWG has, I think you are right the other forums do have seem to have a better range of dealers that post new items regularly , I know watcheden posted something recently , but RWG has the most inactive range of dealer posts as far as I can see. Having 3 areas for trade seems like a good and fair idea on paper , but I rarely look at the Fundraiser sections (and Ive missed some goodies) but for me 3 areas doesn't work. I know RWG needs $ to keep going but other forums use post count which is clearly the system that works for them . I dont have to much issue with the layout I agree search is pants and google is better. Yes we have a wealth of information , yes everybody is great here RAH RAH but does that bring the punters in and keep it fresh , well its doesn't seem to be that way these days. We dont seem to have that much needed USP anymore ....... IP aint enough I MISS THE GRADING SYSTEM thats what pulled me in. And another thing is wrist checks I wish I could participate but everybody's pictures always so pixel perfect and mine are rubbish and its lost its fun factor for me, but these days its EVERYDAY !!!! I think it used to be 3 times a week (4 max) It was beginning of the week , and then Hump day and then the weekend , again the grading system worked so well here and it was easy to participate and there were massive threads now its lost its sparkle. I wish it was different.

There may be more traffic and discussion on the other sites, but I'm not certain that as a whole, the content of which is entirely relevant to watches (which is why I come here). I don't think there is a more technically oriented forum for reps out there; by this, I mean getting into the technical aspects of watch mods, watch building, etc. The truly hardcore folks post their findings, their builds and share their experiences here.

And to this point, if you take a look at RG, they have a higher post count in the Off Topic section of the forum than in the General Watch Discussion section of the forum. Now, this is in no way a derogatory comment about RG. Just a simple observation that each community caters to a slightly different personality, IME. Me personally, RWG is my primary home first and foremost. At first, simply because it came in to being before some of the others. And now, because I simply prefer the lower volume, focused discussions. And as others have mentioned, the personal friendships that have been forged make it special.

Having 3 areas for trade seems like a good and fair idea on paper , but I rarely look at the Fundraiser sections (and Ive missed some goodies) but for me 3 areas doesn't work. ....... I MISS THE GRADING SYSTEM ...... And another thing is wrist checks I wish I could participate but everybody's pictures always so pixel perfect and mine are rubbish and its lost its fun factor for me, but these days its EVERYDAY !!!! I think it used to be 3 times a week (4 max)

Not sure how the multiple FS areas is an issue??? RG is very similar. Personally, when viewing RWG, given the lower volume of posts, it is easiest, and even quickest to simply "VIEW NEW POSTS" which will catch all the little areas like you mention.

Ditto on missing the grading system. :good:

Daily Wristies- personally, I kind of like it. Easier to wade through one day of photos vs 3 days of photos. Less bandwidth strain (caching aside). Plus, many of us do wear a different watch everyday, so going back to update would be pain. As far as your photo quality goes, don't worry about it, post anyway...