When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Unboxing of the new Cartier Santos100XL

unregistered

Just received it and took some pictures of the unboxing.

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

Wristie on a 6.75" wrist

IMG_3464.jpg

Impression:

Amazing. I've had the old WBK version as shown in my previous review. This is far and away light years ahead. Amazing quality, it feels gen, period. I may or may not do a review shortly based on the photos I have. So far, I've not found any blatant tells.

The leather strap is very decent. Not gen soft, but decent. Lume on the hands is surprising good too.

CarSan4.jpg

hmmm......don't think I will be doing a review...nothing much to review?!

The bevel of the sapphire is a little thicker on the rep, but we're splitting hairs here.

Edited by unregistered

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

watch looks nice compared to the gen. The only thing i could see "which would not bother me at all" is the diffrence in the minute hands. I think i might have to get me one. An HKTan strap will do a world of good in gen alligator to make it pop even more. He made me a great strap for my santos 100 chrono that really made a big diffrence. Thanks for the post..............Cheers, W

wow -- fantastic pictures of this watch -- thanks a bunch unregistered :victory:

oddly enough, i finally broke down and ordered this watch over the weekend. i have a brown crocodile hktan strap waiting anxiously for it :D

after seeing your pictures, i absolutely cannot wait :Jumpy:

deltatahoe

EDIT to add: fwiw (take this with a grain of salt, but don't come crying when it happens), my dealer told me these are selling quickly and they could run out of stocks (and as most people know here, hard to know whether a particular watch will be available at a later date)

That is one truly great looking watch!

Thanks for the mini-review. It is always much better to see real-life pictures. :)

Could you enlighten me about the minute hand vs gen? I can't see the difference. Its got the same grey to black sheen in different light, looks to be the same size and length and thickness+bevel.

I assume he refers to the lume-area on the rep is much longer on the rep, than on the gen pictured. My guess is that there are differences on the gen as well, and that the "genuine watch used for replication" had the long lume-area.

By the way, what are the contents of the dvd? :)

This indeed is a pretty stunning super-rep, I have one as well. I removed the caseback cover to confirm that it is in fact a decorated 2824-2, w/ the cotes-de-geneve, Cartier signed rotor & numerical markings in the corner of the case as per gen. The only flaw I see on unreg's, as well as on my own is that the cabuchon is a hair off-mounted (lobsided- a hair sunken on one side while raised on the other- you can see this in the macro-sized picture of the profile shot. The gen is raised a miilmeter, while the rep almost sits flush. Other than that, the color and shape look spot on.

I assume he refers to the lume-area on the rep is much longer on the rep, than on the gen pictured. My guess is that there are differences on the gen as well, and that the "genuine watch used for replication" had the long lume-area.

By the way, what are the contents of the dvd? :)

If its from my gen vs rep picture, please note for the gen, the base of the seconds hand is extending over and covering the base the of the minute hand, that's why it appears that the gen has a smaller/shorter lume area when that isn't the case.

Have yet to open the DVD

The gen Santos XL is 38mm.

The dimensions listed on the Cartier site include lugs and CG which is kind of misleading imho. They list the XL as 51.1mm x 41.3 mm but that's from lug to lug, side to end of CG.

The vast majority of watch dealers list 2 sizes for Santos:

Mid Size - 33mm (way too small for me)

XL - 38mm (the right size and the one Unreg is showing here)

I believe there was a monster XXL (chrono only) that I tried at the AD once and did not like it. I haven't seen advertised anymore.

there's something about the Santos that's unique (not sure if because of it's history or unique design). If you guys have not had the opportunity to try one go to an AD. You won't be disappointed.

It wears are big as my 44mm PAMs for some strange reason.

Can't wait to get mine. It should be here soon. What are the options for strap since I'm not holding my breath for the stock one?

Thanks for clearing up the sizing question. I'll be buying this watch as soon as it's available in two tone.

I've been trying to get my hands on the santos chrono with 7753 movement with no luck so this will have to do.

Anyone looking to sell a two tone santos chrono 7753 pm me!

i just received my watch today; as others have said, it is a really stunning replication :o

one question for you guys that have this watch -- does the dial look to be warped at all to you? i can't tell if it is an optical illusion or reality, but it seems like the dial is raised in the middle and lower at the lugs (as if it is warped on the angle of the watch). anybody else feel like this might be the case, or am i losing it??! :crazy:

thanks in advance,

deltatahoe