When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Daytona/Explorer Evolution

lhooq

I completed a couple of projects today, both of which bear an uncanny resemblance to pieces already in my collection. I plan to write about these projects in greater detail, but for now I just wanted to take pictures!

For both the 1016 Explorer and the manual-wind Daytona, I wanted pieces that were representative of the early and late stages of each model's life cycle. However, I really like folded-link bracelets, so shooting for 1987 wasn't in the cards. So let's travel about a decade from the mid-60s to the mid-70s, as riveted bracelets fell out of fashion, and Superdomes were demolished...

DW 6239 and DW 6263

999644565_VcnAp-X3.jpg

999645024_D6jFG-X3.jpg

999644383_Zi8my-X3.jpg

1601-based Space-Dweller and 16203-based Explorer Frankens

999644813_aa4rq-X3.jpg

999644907_iYa8b-X3.jpg

999644940_eYXRD-X3.jpg

I completed a couple of projects today, both of which bear an uncanny resemblance to pieces already in my collection. I plan to write about these projects in greater detail, but for now I just wanted to take pictures!

For both the 1016 Explorer and the manual-wind Daytona, I wanted pieces that were representative of the early and late stages of each model's life cycle. However, I really like folded-link bracelets, so shooting for 1987 wasn't in the cards. So let's travel about a decade from the mid-60s to the mid-70s, as riveted bracelets fell out of fashion, and Superdomes were demolished...

DW 6239 and DW 6263

999644565_VcnAp-X3.jpg

I really like the left one. (all you Rolex are gorgeous btw) What is a good model to start with to try it ?

Antoine

I was wondering whether I should have written "DW 6263 and DW 6239" on account of the photo, but then it would've run counter the whole evolution theme. Sorry for any confusion, regardless.

Antoine: The left one is the 6263, which is the later model with screwdown pushers, 7mm crown, and a plastic bezel insert. The only vintage Daytonas worth getting -and cost less than $1000- are from DW. Unfortunately, they can be a big headache to assemble, and the movement can be problematic. It took about 4 months of troubleshooting to get my 6263 running reliably, and I dread all the scary surprises the 6239 has in store for me. A lot of people swear by Spinmaster, who assembles, modifies, and QCs each DW Daytona he sells.

Very nice grouping M!

Nice M! You used the super tonneau shaped DW 6239 case afterall, it looks pretty good with the crown installed...

'super tonneau shaped', I love it JB! Mine just arrived yesterday- the same 6239 case. I'm wondering about chopping the 'tonneau' off! I don't know how DW manages to copy an obscure feature like the tonneau- 6239's didn't start with this 'bump' and who knows why Rolex put it in there on later cases, and then DW goes out and copies it. Thank goodness my V72 6239 case didn't have this little feature!

Love the 6263, especially the dial without "DAYTONA".

Question for the Pros: I will be in BKK next month (any chance to pick up one of those over there (I remember a post - I think from James Thailand - showing some nice vintage Daytonas, but in gold).

Any help is appreciated (I really thought I am only a vintage Panerai kind of guy, but after seeing all those great posts and especially the pics from that gen meeting - see below - I see myself strongly drifting towards vintage Rollies):

RLX-passion4.jpg

RLX-passion5.jpg

Sorry for the non-intentional thread hijacking :whistling:

Space Dweller?

Just when I think I'm getting less noob, someone posts something I have NFI what it is... lol

I had to look this one up last night! When US astronauts visited Japan, Rolex created a Japan-market-ONLY, limited edition model called the Space-Dweller.

It has never actually been in space.

Love the 6263, especially the dial without "DAYTONA".

Question for the Pros: I will be in BKK next month (any chance to pick up one of those over there (I remember a post - I think from James Thailand - showing some nice vintage Daytonas, but in gold).

Any help is appreciated (I really thought I am only a vintage Panerai kind of guy, but after seeing all those great posts and especially the pics from that gen meeting - see below - I see myself strongly drifting towards vintage Rollies):

RLX-passion4.jpg

Sorry for the non-intentional thread hijacking :whistling:

i didnt know you are a daytona fan .

can you share more information on the brown dials ?

thanks

Contrary to my earlier suspicions, the DW 6239 midcase is not identical to his 6263's. It still has its issues, especially the "convessa tumah" on the side (to quote Arnoldo Mazzariolenegger). However, it's not nearly as noticeable on a 6239 as it is on DW's dire-looking 6238.

donerix: Both flex and I made noises about flying off to Thailand for a weekend if the price was right on those vintages. I was serious, and so was flex, I reckon. James has since gone silent, which probably means he bought them all for himself! I love tropical dials, too, and you might notice that the dial on my 6263 has gone a bit champagne/beige in color. (When I bought it in January it was a whitish silver, like the 6239 dial.) I don't know if it plans on changing color some more, but it looks terrific right now.

Also, I'm still kicking myself over not buying a tropical 1016 gilt dial that recently sold on VRF for EUR150. I think I hesitated over the cost of getting a 1570 to put it on. There's no way I could snip the feet off that dial without feeling like a heel.

Regarding the Space-Dweller, the common story is about Rolex commemorating the Mercury Seven astronauts' visit to Japan. I'm not really sure if that's true, or just a Steve McQueen-like tall tale. Whatever the origin, they were very limited in numbers, and the one example on Antiquorum sold for USD 48,0000, which is about ten times what you'd expect to pay for a more mundane 1016. So, yes, I do wear it frequently! "Oh, this old thing?"

I am guessing you guys are a little bit closer to Bangkok than myself ( 10615.5 Miles - I looked it up) to be able to go for the weekend :)

I am still going, need a vacation anyway.

Your 6263 is what I am dreaming to have one day.

Don't you think there might be more of those to be found in BKK?

I will look hard, but maybe somebody can point me in the right direction. :cc_detective:

Not sure about the BKK scene. I do go Bkk or other part of Thaland twice a year.

But I have seen the vintage Rolex daytona in saigon (and a friend from India said the same is sold in Inda).

In Saigon, I had asked the seller to open to check if it were a vajoux movement. Even though the Vajloux 72 momvemtn has engrvaed bridge. It was dirty, badly assembled -- can be seen with my naked eyes. I would suggest building one from scratch and sourcing the parts. I have a couple of manual winded vintage daytonas ( not as nice as LHOOQ -- BigCrown has also got a drop dead gorgeous 6263/5) -- I don't want to thread crap by posing pictures.

The ones in here are one of the best I have seen- the gen 6239 has slight different shapes than 6263. The 6239 here is nicely executed. 6263 is nice but still needs some works. I woukd work on the shape of the lugs on that paricular 6263.

Flex

Honestly, I haven't been to Bangkok in about 20 years, so I'm not very familiar with the place. However, there are often airline seat sales so the cost of a round trip sometimes gets as low as USD 100. The timing never works out for me, but I'm tempted to pop by to MBK to grab some KFC and a Patek Nautilus!

I've been to Saigon and Hanoi, but was never fortunate enough to run into a V72 Daytona, let alone those infamous Seamaster 300 and Blancpain Fifty Fathoms fakes. I did see a lot of vintage watches that had been "decorated" with swastikas and eagles on the dial. I'm sure it's just for luck!

Flex: Thanks for the compliment! I've seen your Daytonas. More pictures of them would definitely NOT be considered thread crapping by me!

Anyway, here's an extra photo that shows more of the dials and the difference in details and coloration. The lack of a "SWISS" marking on my 6263 was a bit of a negative, so I'm glad to have it on the 6239:

1000804526_apiZ5-X3.jpg