When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 16520

HauteHippie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all. It's a great piece.

Below is the formula. Costwise we're talking about 37-40% of a used gen. Basically you could buy this watch, or you could buy a used gen 16610 sub from the late 1990s. No brainer for me. :)

The Zigmeister's handiwork

Ubi's help

Gen lumi dial

Gen lumi hands and sub dial hands

Gen pushers

Gen crown ---->>> ????

Gen case back

Gen 78390A/803B bracelet

Gen "Mk IV" bezel

Gen crystal with laser etched crown @ 6

Phong midcase engraved with genuine A serial number - Went over this case with a fine tooth comb, and it's dead on compared to a gen A serial case or a service replacement case. The gen 803B SELs fit this thing like a glove. Notice no gaps. And the CGs and lug contours are perfect. The notches on the underside of the pushers are exact. Phong's engraving is also excellent. This is what I can actually call 1:1.

Ebel 400 El Primero movement shown below, with gen pinions added (these actually gave The Zigmeister fits):

ebelmovementback.jpg

Guest jsuperman17

wow chief!! thats amazing!! that will be my grail/exit watch in the future.. of course gen... do you mind telling us the actual cost of the project? do you have any regrets in terms of just getting the gen instead??? an absolute stunner!!! the best chrono movement of them all!

Gen pinions were very hard to track down, and they were even a bigger pain to install (for RG). Some nice soul on RWG (SORRY I FORGET WHO!!) sent me a tech sheet for the 4030 which I used for the part numbers. The esteemed Ubi actually tracked a first set down, and then was unable to find another for himself. So, I of course stepped up the search and tracked down another set for Ubi. In the end, I believe they ended up coming from two different sources.

In other news, last night, the gen crown broke while setting the time. So much for gen QC, guys. This crown was straight from Rolex in untampered / sealed packaging. Not some pseudo gen crown you find on EBay. The spring load mechanism just seems to have fallen apart. Oh the joys of expensive watch parts!!

In other news, last night, the gen crown broke while setting the time. So much for gen QC, guys. This crown was straight from Rolex in untampered / sealed packaging. Not some pseudo gen crown you find on EBay. The spring load mechanism just seems to have fallen apart. Oh the joys of expensive watch parts!!

Whoa! In all my years of watch collecting, I have never seen that happen on a new/NOS Rolex crown (common problem with used parts though). Have you contacted the seller for a replacement? I believe Rolex warrants parts for 90 days.