When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Miltary Officers Rolex

chiman12

While waiting for some parts to come in for my projects, I was looking at the extra parts that I still had in my parts bin. I discovered that I actually had a few interesting parts and then proceed to wonder what type of watch a miltary officer would wear.

I had a California Tudor dial handy and I've always like the looks of the dial, but the matte finish on the dial was "beat." So I resprayed the dial with Kryon matte finish and the result I got was an antique, pebblish finish, with a slight patina to the markers. I also had an extra Tudor 2483 kicking around. So I proceed to put it all together, using sub hands...

P1013549.jpg

I need a case to house the dial and movement and I had a gen Tudor 7996 case available. The case is only 34mm (JMB style baby!!), but I thought this case size would be appropriate for a officer to wear in the 60's. The only problem is that the 7996 original had a date function and the crystal had a cyclope. The crystal was also the new style with the bevelled edge. I really like the edge, but of course the cyclope had to go. So I proceed to file down the cyclope with my hobby file.

P1013544.jpg

I filed the cyclope down until it was pretty much flat with the crystal. Then I sand the rough marks down with a 6 micron sandpaper...

P1013550.jpg

I hit the crystal with the buffer and the results were perfect!

P1013555.jpg

I especially love the finish of the dial...it's a little different. Shown at an angle to so that you can see more of the characteristics of the "pebbling"

P1013557.jpg

The complete package with a black NATO strap...

P1013563.jpg

Looks like a good officer's watch too me!!!

Thanks!

Thanks guys!!!

red...I actually bought the dial itself a long time ago in it's beat up condition on E-Bay. It has been sitting in my parts box ever since.

Andy...I thought the case looked like a bubble back also! I tried numerous to fit numerous Rolex end links on it, but they all didn't seem to fit, they weren't quite curved enough and the lugs look like they stick straight out...

Rolex 5048

rolexbb5048.jpg

LH...that sounds like a good idea! I finally did get a case for my FF...hhmmmm :g: