When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Time for a vintage Rolex forum?

dieselpower

I can't speak for anyone else but I myself spend quite a bit of time trawling through posts which are of no particular interest to me. Allow me to explain. My interest in watches is concentrated on what we lovingly call "vintage" pieces. I realise this is a loose and ever changing term but for arguments sake I really only like subs and sea dwellers before the models with the applied metal hour markers ie all models where the hour markers were painted directly onto the dial. Also with Daytonas my interest wanes when the automatics entered the scene. I'm sure you all know where I'm coming from. So, wouldn't it be nice if the Rolex forum (and maybe other forums in our marvellous community) were to be separated into a "vintage" and "non-vintage" section. That way the people who are interested in modern pieces would go straight to their section and vintage lovers such as myself (and many others) could go to the "vintage Rolex forum" and read only about the stuff they care for? Discuss :gathering:

Personally, I don't mind the mix. Having vintage and modern mingling together isn't a bad thing; if someone interested in modern models happens to stumble upon a vintage thread and suddenly discovers the beauty and charm of a vintage piece, that would be a good thing :) Or vice versa...

Good point & this thought occurred to me as well. However, having broken my online WIS cherry in the early days of TZ, I was able to find my way into their vintage Rolex forum (from the modern forum) without much ado. So I do not see the segregation as being a potential impediment to anyone. It just makes it easier to satisfy 1's yearnings for a particular horological kink as the need arises. :drinks:

I live this forum every day through the "View New Posts" link at the top so I can get a nice overview on what's going on. Occasionally, when I want to find something more specific I will go to that particular forum. That being said, if there was a vintage forum (or sub-forum) for each category, that would be pretty sweet IMO. I like the idea dieselpower! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I live this forum every day through the "View New Posts" link at the top so I can get a nice overview on what's going on. Occasionally, when I want to find something more specific I will go to that particular forum. That being said, if there was a vintage forum (or sub-forum) for each category, that would be pretty sweet IMO. I like the idea dieselpower! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ditto. I never go to any one specific forum, unless to post. I simply live off the "View New Posts" link in the upper right corner. At the current traffic and signal to noise ratio here, it makes blowing in and out and catching the correct content I am after a breeze.

If we see a major spike in traffic, then maybe it would make sense.

Helpful hint: Please be descriptive in your post titles. Makes it even easier to spot content. You know something with 1680, 6263, etc in the title is vintage, etc. (or if Freddy333 makes a post) ;)

I agree. I have the same issue with vintage panerais and even custom projects and also fantasy watches.

To me it would be cool of I could first search for "Rolex" and then search a subforum like "vintage". This sub function could contain "vintage" "new models" "custom" and "fantasy" for example, and posters would simply tag their posts... Heck, I'd like to be able to browse both Panerai and Rolex vintage-posts at the same time btw...it would be cool to be able to save certain choices such as "Panerai" "Rolex" and "Vintage" as a personal setting kind of thing.

2c

mg

It might work at TZ because of the overall volume is very high. But I've been to several gen forums over the years. Many have the main Rolex forum and the separate vintage Rolex forum.

The result: Vintage subforum is a ghost town. Personally, I think it's counterproductive and useless to separate any brand forum. It would definitely reduce the thread views and attention of the vintages. There's absolutely no doubt about it... we've seen it happening with all the other sub-subforums that we have created. Members wanted them SO much but they're dead as a rock. Ziggy's amazing watch movement articles are a good example... they were buried way too deep in the "subforum tree" and went virtually unnoticed. :thumbdown:

And eventually people wouldn't even post to the vintage side because they'd quickly notice that their thread gets more replies and views in the general side of the Rolex forum. Making the forum more complicated and deepening the subforum structure does NOT work positively. Trust me on this.

Lots of things work well in principle but not in practice.

Just my 2c.

sounds like a good idea, could at least have a trial run, would help organize and classify things a lot better for quick reference.

some members arent interested in vintage and could skip the page scrolling past the vintage in the rolex section (even save bandwidth=$ for the server) who knows.

We started a seperate vintage forum on RWI a year or so ago. I noticed that I was spending all my time on the vintage forum and missed a look of good discussions in the regular Rolex forum. I agree with By-tor that there isnt enough traffic to warrent having to keep them seperate at this point. Having a seperate forum for vintage isnt necessarly a bad thing, but its nice to be able to browse through both old and new without having to change sections. If there were 400 new topics a day in the Rolex section, then yes i would vote for a vintage section.

dizz

Interesting reading. At the end of the day, you can't argue with experience so I find myself in the unusual position of agreeing with the naysayers even though I made the vintage forum suggestion myself. By-Tor's experience must be heeded. I vote against the idea :o

That is unusual for sure :D

But, in the end, I agree with you: if experience prooves that a route is not good, why would one want to follow it B)