When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An oldy but goody

JoJo35

Sold off some of my stuff lately, but I don't ever think I could let this one go. My very first "good" franken, with a host of gen parts that I searched and traveled all over for. It was then built including complete movement service by my good friend RG. It still runs like a champ, and I'll bet it probably will for the next 30 or 40 years. I just took some fresh pics, and thought I'd share, hope you enjoy:

7c7hka18.jpg

13128ee5.jpg

Thanks guys!

This certainly is an old one, built way before the "yuki" (or better cases ;) ) became available.

It started with an MBW case I had bought from George; then I sent it off to Palpatine so he could work his magic, which he did, and I ended up with a terrific white 1680 with a 2836-2, a beautifully aged dial and hands, gen cyclop, cg's done, lugs drilled, etc.

Fast forward another year or so, and I had gotten the itch to improve it even more. There wasn't much talk of "super frankens" back then, most guys would source a 2846 if they could and then go from there. So, what was done to this piece was on the forefront of "repdom"! lol

I was able to source a dial over coffee in NYC (a mk1 white no less!). The movement came after another 100 mile drive from another dealer, the hands from across the pond, and the date wheel, ah!!! that was a find! An early silver date wheel which has more of a flat appearance to it, before the bright "brushed" look datewheels were available. The Zigmiester put it all together, modding the case appropriately so the 1570 fit into it.

Now, all I do is set the date, hold it in my hands and give it a little turn, and it begins to run again until long after I put it away at the end of the day. :drinks:

that's a real keeper. beautiful watch with lots of sentimental value just from the parts quest. Is the "George" who used to sell MBW years ago the same "George" of WM9 fame? Brings back old memories of dealing with him for an MBW 1680 years ago.

that's a real keeper. beautiful watch with lots of sentimental value just from the parts quest. Is the "George" who used to sell MBW years ago the same "George" of WM9 fame? Brings back old memories of dealing with him for an MBW 1680 years ago.

I don't think it's the same guy, "George" from back in the day was one of the select few able to actually obtain an old "MBW", unless of course, you were able to obtain one directly from Maria :whistling:

Thanks guys, it certainly is a terrific watch, and a great piece as a daily wearer. I'll have to take some more pics of it; maybe even a few of the 1570 too. While we're on that subject, here's a pic of my very first 1570 powered franken. it was nice, although the white dialed piece was definitely a big improvement:

IMG_1897.jpg

I don't think it's the same guy, "George" from back in the day was one of the select few able to actually obtain an old "MBW"

Since some have reported problems trying to fit gen movements into their MBWs, I think it is worth noting that my 1665 & 5514 MBWs (each now hosting 157xs) each came from George, who, if I remember correctly, went by the handle of 'Watchmaster'. So 1 has to wonder whether there are dimensional differences between the MBWs from George & those sold by others. :g: