When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sorry to say this, but I am sick and tired of seeing our members being ripped off

Justasgood

And I gotta say that I am not a thread crapper, but I am tired of seing our members being subjected to things like this.

Rolex acrylic/plastic crystals cost between $18.00 and $36.00. Yes even the ones for the Tudor Monte Carlo with date at 6.

There I said it. Yet some people here charge between $85.00 and $350.00!

I am not talking about "Superdome" crystals, though I wouldn't pay over $20.00 for one......for crying out loud......It's Freakin' plastic.

I try to help folks out when I can (Pay it forward) and for the last couple years I sat quietly watching as crystal I get for friends at a cost of no more than $36.00, get offered up and sold for ridiculous prices.

Hell, I wouldn't have to sell off my collection to pay bills if I ripped off my friends.

Perhaps it is because I can't sleep due to the recent stresses our family is experiencing and I think it is more the fact that this family here at RWG has literally saved my life way back when........but dammit, I refuse to sit quietly and watch people take advantage of my family here.

Actual cost of items new in package from Rolex:

Gen Plastic crystals - $18 - $36

Gen inserts for subs and gmt's $85.00

Genuine 24-703 crown - $36.00

Genuine 23-703-0 Tube - $36.00

Genuine Spring bars 2mm $4.00 each

Genuine sapphire crystal fr sub $125.00

Geunine handsets for sport models - $41.00 (yes, that is for all 3 hands)

These are new and in package straight from Rolex.

If you want to pay inflated prices for these items go right ahead. I get it.....supply and demand.

Don't bother asking me to get any of the above. I have a few very good friends that I will help. I have seen others I have helped, help themselves by making a nice profit on items I helped them get......no names, just a heads-up to my family.

Note: The market sets the prices. I don't begrudge profit or anyone trying to re-coup time $$ and effort. Supply and demand are always the rule and I can say that Rolex has clamped down hard on their AD's and repair shops. Rolex now wants serial #'s and ref #'s for every part ordered. You can bet that they will slowly strangle the market to a

point that only the all mighty Rolex will have the supply.

SO, if you need it and you find it and you can afford it.......have at it.

Peace and Love to all.

Oh yes you helped people.

I can attest you are helping, honest and straight.

It's very good you alarm the community about what's a rip off indeed.

A short note though: as we are in an illegal activity I would agree to pay a little more for these parts.

Even for my genuine DateJust, my non official watchmaker had to wait for 3 months to get a couple of wheels!

But I totaly disagree, and it drives me crazy when I see that happen, to resell with such profits, parts that have been passed freely or at the cost price.

Thanks for shouting out loud :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Cheers

Stephane

Stephane my friend...thank you for the kind words.

I can understand a little profit for the legwork or for having a "connection".

And yes, sometimes it is easier to pay a higher price than wait for a good deal...I have done so myself and don't regret paying more.

But sheesh, from $18 - $36 to $125 - $350?

Be well and blessing to you and your family.

Stephane my friend...thank you for the kind words.

I can understand a little profit for the legwork or for having a "connection".

And yes, sometimes it is easier to pay a higher price than wait for a good deal...I have done so myself and don't regret paying more.

But sheesh, from $18 - $36 to $125 - $350?

Be well and blessing to you and your family.

Be well too K. And blessing to all.

You are right: I would never pay 400

Hi J,

Thanks for taking the time to post that mate although personally I dont look for those sorts of parts and even if I did on here I wouldnt know the gen price unless I researched it myself.

So excuse me if I am being thick here... but are you saying that members are or have sold these parts at these inflated prices and are readily available? If so thats pretty low, I have no issue with profitting within an acceptable parameter but such mark ups are exploitative and wrong.

But I would caveat that by saying that I could make the same comparisons with gen PAM parts bought and sold here, including by myself, these are sold at considerable mark up from what OP would charge but you try and get them from OP then you quite simply wont.

For example a CG from OP would cost me $120 once I had sent my watch in and also paid for the obligatory service £250 however if I bought one outside of OP it would cost me anything from $350 to $800 because they are effectively black market goods so the supply and demand rule would apply in regard to OP parts, I am not sure though if you are saying these parts you refer to are readily available or if they are procured in a similar manner to OP. If so then unfortunately I would not agree that this issue is actually ripping people off.......you want a gen part and you cant buy it off the shelf (so to speak) then you make a choice.

Hence why I always work on a percentage value of a franken build PAM to a gen PAM, if a gen costs ten grand I consider a grand to fifteen hundred quid in parts is acceptable but thats me, even though to buy them direct from OP, ifyou could!! would only cost a quarter of that.. If thats the case then I personally have no issue with such a situation.

And again if so then at the end of the day the decision is the buyers based on him knowing what he is buying and whats it worth in the rep world/ spare part world and not whats its worth at face value in the gen world

MHO guys

Thanks very much for the heads up. most folks have no idea as to the real cost of genuine parts. Unfortunately, some take advantage of the ignorance of others to mark up the prices to insane levels.

One of the real problems is the absolute control that Rolex is exercising over it's parts supply. It is getting next to impossible to source new Rolex parts. I had a watchmaker acquaintence who has a parts account with Rolex. He tried to source a genuine crystal for my GMT IIC. Rolex NA told him that he would have to send the watch to a Rolex Service Center for the crystal exchange. He called several other Rolex watchmakers and they all got the same story, either the part was "backordered" or they needed to send the watch to a RSC.Looks like genuine parts are going to become impossible to obtain unless you have a genuine watch that needs work.It's too bad, because as the parts become more unobtainable, the hoarding will drive the prices higher.

Justasgood - I am a bit confused by your post? Are you criticizing non-members (like gen collectors &/or those within the Rolex service network) who resell their stock on ebay, etc, or are you criticizing RWG members who tack a bit more onto the price for themselves? Or, are you hinting that some gen Rolex parts can be gotten through you at retail list price?

I am not criticizing you, just looking for clarification (& to see if I need to install Justasgood at the top of my gen Rolex parts sourcing list).

i think he is talkin about this : plexissexy ;)

Star - I assume this was directed to me?

I get what Justasgood is saying, just not quite understanding his point?

Many here (including me) have, from time to time, posted retail prices for Rolex parts to highlight the difference between costs to those within the Rolex service network & everyone else. However, unless you have a parts account (or know someone who does & is willing to supply you with parts at cost), most of us are left having to pay these types of inflated prices for gen parts. Believe me, I know.

i think he is talkin about this : plexissexy ;)

Not directly referring to that post. There is no way of knowing the cost of a Gen part to the holder/seller of that part. While I agree that getting the parts is very difficult and should allow for a premium. Again, the market dictates the price.

My post was set off by that, but it is not a reference to it.

I see Rolex parts being listed at ridiculous prices all the time. My issue that I have held my tongue about is members here that I have helped, selling parts that I got at Rolex cost.....re-selling at a high margin.

I will not name names so don't ask.

I guess I am trying to give the Membership some clarity on actual costs.

Pay what you want, ask what you want. I try to bring nice watches and parts to the community at good prices. A few members here got some nice Gens that in the open market, would have brought hundreds if not thousands more than they paid.

Omni way back when, helped me out, unsolicited and only asked that I pay it forward. Well I have tried that and continue to live by that.

It is what it is.

Love and respect to all,

Kurt

All well said. We're not in this to stab each other in the back. I guess the saying applies to parts as well as complete watches: "Buy the seller, not the part".

There's a bit of a disconnect with genuine vintage parts, however. I don't think anyone here would spend big money on gen vintage crystals, but on TZ and VRF there are lots of people with more money than brains, and they'll pay a lot for the "correct" part. Add in the unavailability factor, and insanity creeps in.

Example: you can buy a CWP bezel for $300 and the gen piece goes as high as $2,000

Example: I needed a replacement crystal for my 6536. The part was unavailable on the aftermarket. I wasn't certain which I needed, so I bought two on VRF, a t-16 and t-18. Now I want to sell the t-18. I paid $400 for it, 5 years ago. Any takers? Didn't think so.

Example: WIS collectors will demand a genuine Superdome t-39 for their early 1665. They would be horrified to consider aftermarket, even though those antique crystals are getting fragile in their packaging. I stumbled across a cache of the beasties years ago, and bought 4 as an investment. Other members here bought the rest. Now I'm ready to sell, and how many takers do I see at $400 a pop? None. And that price is only $50 higher than PonyCar350 was selling them for, almost 10 years ago.

When you're talking vintage, it's the wild wild west. Contemporary is a whole 'nother story.

what i always don't understand - the lumi insert for the rolex 5513/1680 is always much more expensive

then the 16610/16600 one - the price at the AD is the same ;)

cheers,

Frank

So if I get this right now then your complaing about the availability.....

The price is only driven by the availability and scarcity. Thats a decision for the buyer not the seller.

:)

The price is only driven by the availability and scarcity. Thats a decision for the buyer not the seller.

Price is what someone is willing to pay and I agree that for someone who can't source parts or for a part that is truly scarce the sky's the limit.

The crux of my rant is a seeming easeiness that some members have in putting the screws to the rest. Again I state that I held my tongue as parts I know I provided for free or at cost, being re-sold at ridiculous prices.

One could argue that once out of my possesion, I have no say.....well, my say was to bring to light the actual costs of these parts. I know the info has been mentioned before. I guess I felt it should mentioned again.

My issue that I have held my tongue about is members here that I have helped, selling parts that I got at Rolex cost.....re-selling at a high margin.

I will not name names so don't ask.

I guess I am trying to give the Membership some clarity on actual costs.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification, Kurt.

I don't think anyone here would spend big money on gen vintage crystals

Noone here? Most of my recent projects were constructed out of gen parts (some NOS), including gen crystals & I paid dearly for them.

When you're talking vintage, it's the wild wild west.

That is the understatement of the year :shock:

Totally get where you are coming from K. If someone is helped in some way by a member here, the courteous thing would be to pay it forward and help the next member. However, if you are the sort of person who lives by that philosophy, and you help a member out, and in the end you see them making a profitable benefit from your free or cheap help, I can imagine that doesn't feel very good.

A good example of this: Ubi's 7032 being listed on eBay for $40k :black_eye:

No, As far is i understand JaG is sad the old spirit of helping a brother out without gain, and spreading this spirit out is losing vs the gain as much from another brother.

"One of the real problems is the absolute control that Rolex is exercising over it's parts supply. It is getting next to impossible to source new Rolex parts. I had a watchmaker acquaintence who has a parts account with Rolex. He tried to source a genuine crystal for my GMT IIC. Rolex NA told him that he would have to send the watch to a Rolex Service Center for the crystal exchange. He called several other Rolex watchmakers and they all got the same story, either the part was "backordered" or they needed to send the watch to a RSC.Looks like genuine parts are going to become impossible to obtain unless you have a genuine watch that needs work.It's too bad, because as the parts become more unobtainable, the hoarding will drive the prices higher."

This is exactly what is happening.

I remember pricing 100 new assorted rolex crowns (a few steel and gold 7.0 but mostly steel and gold 6.0, and 5.3) to a repair guy with no parts account at the NAWCC show in Orlando FL 12 or 15 years ago for $3000 and he said "That's too damn much!"

I bet he has changed his tune.

"There's a bit of a disconnect with genuine vintage parts, however. I don't think anyone here would spend big money on gen vintage crystals, but on TZ and VRF there are lots of people with more money than brains, and they'll pay a lot for the "correct" part. Add in the unavailability factor, and insanity creeps in."

Yep, and they deserve it imho. :shock:

"When you're talking vintage, it's the wild wild west."

Fer sure!

Insanity: :Jumpy:

http://jewelry.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=rolex+crown&_sacat=281&_odkw=rolex+crown&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313