When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This forum is dead

gimme

When I first got into reps, first forum I visited was RWI. I spent about a week there. I didn't like it, but I have to be thankful because I found my dealer, Mr. Hunt, who sells at the lowest prices, knows very little English and is a nice man (he's not a dealer here).

Then I found this place. I liked it from the beginning. The pros were always active (pro = 1,000+ posts), there was none of that hostility going on in other boards.

After a few weeks, I discovered RG. One day it was up, the next 6 days it was down. So I said f uck it.

Nevertheless, recently I discovered the 'new posts' feature and I must say this place is pretty dead. For example, there was 1 page of new posts since yesterday compared to 9 on RG.

I know a couple of the users that I most respect are also active over at RG (LHOOQ, ByTor, Pugwash to name a few). Others are loyal to RWG (ubiquitous comes to mind).

Just wondering if this place is like a niche... the best kept secret, or is it simply a consequence of bad advertising. Because AFAIK, the more members there are, the more VIP's and the more money for whoever runs this place.

Honestly, I like it this way, and will soon be upgrading my membership.

Welcome, Gimme ... nice intro. You're right in that we don't "advertise", we just let the place speak for itself. Most of the members that are most active here are just like you, they stumbled across us and stayed.

We are pitiless and absolutely merciless for scammers here. The expectations are clearly posted, and when someone sticks a toe across a line they are gone. Right now. If they're a newb, we'll often talk with them directly or send a PM, but we can sniff out a scammer from a mile away. Some of us actually relish blowing them off the board. *cough*

This place is all about spreading watch information: how to build something, what parts work with what case, who gives good service when you need parts or whole watches, who's slow, who's fast, who ripped someone off, all that stuff. You will be amazed at what some members here have built from scratch. We encourage feedback from everyone for how things go with their transactions, good or bad. We encourage and welcome your input!

You said "AFAIK, the more members there are, the more VIP's and the more money for whoever runs this place."

While true in most fora, this place is run mostly on the generosity of its Admin. He works crazy hours and usually pays the hosting bills out of his pocket to keep the lights on. It's a labor of love. We encourage people to post sales and donate a percentage to run the board, but it's up to the seller. So no, there's no money flowing into Admin's pockets. I'm amazed he keeps up with the work, aggravation and expense, to be honest.

But here we are, spreading watch information and watching each others' backs. We are a tight knit community with wide open arms.

So jump in! Enjoy! Tell us what your interests are, where you've gotten good deals and good service, and post up some awesome photos.

Sorry to be blunt but, if you consider this forum to be "dead" why don't you think of something to make it more lively?

This is the best of the big forums -- the most knowledgeable group. Agreed, though, if you think it's dead here -- contribute yourself. ;)

If you're into Pams and vintage projects -- and like to be around knowledgeable people like RWG -- you may want to check this place out, too: wrist-check.com

;)

The Zigmeister summed it up.

(And only 1 page of New??? I seem to average about 3 pages every 4~6 hours during the week.) Note: Using the RSS feature here, or leaving the page up 24x7 in some browsers seems to screw up the "View New" results from my experience.

As a dormant member of the other mentioned forums, there is a lot of "noise" which does not always translate into a "song" like around these parts.