When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex uber-vintage

Dizzy

This isnt really my cup of tea, but i came across it through a friend and thought it would make an interesting project. Its a little bit of Rolex history, but unfortunately I know nothing about these old models. This is pre-Bubbleback stuff from 70 years ago!

Movement needs a service, but it does keep excellent time right now.. Anyone know where to get a crystal for this thing? Its aprox 1941 and the case was made for Rolex by the Keystone watch company who also made movements for Omega during this same era... I emailed Ofrei and hopefully he can find me something..

Heres some pics of how it looks today after i picked it up.. Its a 31mm case, and here you can see how small it is compared to the gen datejust case at 36mm underneath it.

666affeb.jpg

03ec7e34.jpg

94e82b6c.jpg

its about 26,30mm. I havent pulled it out yet to get an exact size and how its attached. It looks like it has a bezel that is removeable so that might "free" the crystal. So far the movement is keeping good time so thats a bonus. Hopefully servicing goes smoothly.

The case ref # is 4297286 stamped on the inside of the caseback. "Keystone watch company" made this case for Rolex. Keystone also made cases for Omega in the 40's so that may be another direction for me to search. I looked on Ofrei's FAQ section and it says the caseback reference # is what they need to find a crystal so we shall see.

I started a thread on VRF to see what those guys have to say about it...

Dizz

Most of these older models have 'snap in' crystals that are installed with a press or crystal lift that basically shrinks the OD of the crystal so it will fit into the bezel. GS has many styles of PHD (high dome) and PK (low dome) snap in crystals if that is what is needed.

For example...if the bezel opening measures 28.0mm, it will take a 28.3 to 28.5mm crystal depending on the bezel design. Most PHD/PK crystals over 25mm will shrink down .5mm with no trouble.

The bigger the bezel OD, the more oversize the crystal can be.

'Bezel' in this note = the top of the case and the crystal seat...not the actual bezel ring like on a 1600 DJ etc.

note:

Some of the bezels on these watches look like they are removable but they are not. I have a 6050 BB and it looks like the bezel might be removable but it uses a PK type crystal so examine the case carefully.

After you get the movement out, see if you can pop the crystal out of the case from the inside using your thumb. If it pops out...it is a PHD/PK.

Types of crystals:

http://www.esslinger.com/gswatchcrystals.aspx

Crystal press/crystal lift:

http://www.tztoolshop.com/FB_Catalog_Xtal_Accessories.html

Wow, I'm not on the best monitor here, but that movement (minus the one screw which looks like a wild silverback attacked :lol:) looks very clean! Given the age - I'd say it's incredible! Have fun with the restoration!!

PS -- Phone Bob Frei rather than emailing him. The email just might send him in to orbit. (Been there done that)

94e82b6c.jpg

Nice find. I do not know the xtal number, but I bought (& sold) 1 of these some years ago myself (pre-1950 was not generally really my cup of tea either). The watch dates from about 1940 and looks to be all original. It is powered by a 17-jewel, hand-wound movement and your dial appears to be unrestored. These watches were made for the Canadian market with dials typically made locally (in Canada) so as to lower import duty. If memory serves me, it should be 31mm wide, excluding the winding crown. On the inside of the caseback, it should be signed Rolex, Keystone Victory and have a case reference number.

In really good condition (obviously with the xtal replaced & the movement in good, running condition), it is worth around a grand or so

keystonerolexobservatory.jpg

Yes the case was made by the Keystone watch company and it has a snap on caseback. Ive had the watch running for the last 12 hours and its keeping VERY good time. The last service engraving that i can see on the caseback is from 1961 so who knows how long its been since its been cleaned.

@Automatico - This one does have what looks like a removeable bezel but so far I havent been able to get it off. Thanks for the link to the GS crystals. Thats what a few guys on VRF recommended also. Too bad these old watches are soooooo small, as it would make a cool watch to wear on special occasions. I did initially buy this watch to fix it and flip it, but It will probably end up going to the GF because its much too cool to sell, and considering I got it for next to nothing because the guy said it was "broken and an old piece of junk" :whistling:

cheers

Dizz