When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just landed my first Gen

specialvat

Well I saw it, and I thought its my kind of deal. Thats to say incomplete and cheap :)

Seems to be a Datejust maybe, what looks like cal.1570 movement.

Hands seem blackened at the lume area, this pic is the listing pic :

r.jpg

So now I ll need some luck finding a nice datejust dial for a 1570, yep I do know how to pick 'em.

I asked for a condition report, that came back as working but un tested.

I love a challange, What do you think ?

Well I saw it, and I thought its my kind of deal. Thats to say incomplete and cheap :)

Seems to be a Datejust maybe, what looks like cal.1570 movement.

Hands seem blackened at the lume area, this pic is the listing pic :

r.jpg

So now I ll need some luck finding a nice datejust dial for a 1570, yep I do know how to pick 'em.

I asked for a condition report, that came back as working but un tested.

I love a challange, What do you think ?

If you got it dirt cheap and the 1570 doesn't require and expensive overhaul, you may be OK. As for dials, there are tons of datejust dials floating around. They are on Ebay, and the vintage rolex market almost always has some for sale. I'm sure these are all dials that are from "cannabalized" watches that are broken up mainly for the movement.

Good luck with your project

Based on the datewheel, I agree that it's a 1570/5 movement. You'll need a pie pan dial for it and a new set of hands would also help.

I can't tell from the pic, is this the all stainless model with the white gold bezel?

I'd also figure servicing the movement, always a good idea when you buy a used Rolex.

The dial looks correct & I would keep the existing hands (since, presumably, they are gens & fit the 157x movement). I would also figure a movement overhaul into your plans. I just hope you get what you paid for. The fact that the watch is missing the dial makes me suspicious. :g:

Very unusual. usually you see the dial,hands and case sans movement. I sure hope you aren't buying a watch that was flooded, and/or has a trashed movement. If I were you, I would get it to a local watchmaker who works on Rolex and let him have a real quick look at it before your return option runs out. If it's the least bit suspicious, send it back.

It could be that the movement died and they couldnt afford to fix it, so the dial was transplanted into a replica case... it could happen.

Yes those look like the correct hands for that model. I agree, putting in an ETA movement might be a good idea. That will free up some cash to buy a dial. I think you would need an ETA2824 movement to get the right crown position on that one. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I recently completed a 16030 datejust project.. all gen except movement and hands and its now one of my favorite watches.

dizz

On getting the watch in hand yesterday (thank you royal mail you clowns) I found out what the black lume was all about.

Marker pen !

Not sure what that thought process was ?

Anyway movement is fine, keeping good time. Seems they glued a dial in as there is residue present.

The crystal scratches are inside ? again who manages to put circular scratches under a crystal madness I tell you :)

Sending it for service and case refinish not sure if I should ask them to replace crystal or just have it polished, I m keeping the bracelet as is and buying a new one I can shorten.

Quick pics for before and after shots :)

P9210083.jpg

P9210081.jpg

• 1 month later...

Polywatched the crystal and put aftermarket hands on, well tried to minute hand would not fit-lesson learned on that one.

Waiting for two tone dial and gen gold hands to arrive, then its finally time to get a service.

The watch runs well enough just want it to be perfect.

New pics:

PB060118.jpg

PB060117.jpg

PB060115.jpg

New dial in, I m putting it in for service sunday and having the case refinished. The battle scars dont suit such a slender beast :)

The silver dial is aftermarket, I m guessing after having the two together the date window was tiny and the finish too new.

Only one pic for now :

PB140127.jpg

Like to thank Justasgood for his help, thanks K.